Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looks like they got their raise...

Months after Detroit emerged from federal bankruptcy protection, a commission voted Monday to recommend a 2.5 percent pay increase to City Council members and the city clerk next year.
    The Detroit Elected Officials Compensation Commission unanimously approved the increases at a meeting Monday evening. The raises take effect July 1, 2016, unless two-thirds of the City Council votes to block them.
    It comes after Council President Brenda Jones and City Clerk Janice Winfrey requested raises.

The decision means that annual pay for council members and City Clerk Janice Winfrey will go from $76,840 to $78,761.

Council President Brenda Jones also gets a raise from $80,757 to $82,776.
    This decision comes less than 6 months after Detroit emerged from Bankruptcy.
    Mayor Mike Duggan didn't request a raise, and his annual pay will remain about $166,000.

When asked after the decision, Council President Brenda Jones chose not to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    When asked after the decision, Council President Brenda Jones chose not to comment.

Haha. Yea, she's pissed that she's only getting a $2K raise. I hope that extra grand in her bank account will help her poor underpaid soul get by.

I'll be honest, when this issue first came up a month or so ago, I thought we were gonna see some ridiculous raise for these people at 10% or something like that. And they probably thought they were going to get it. To see them only getting 2.5%, I'll take that.

They shouldn't be getting anything considering what everyone else has given up in this city.

Good for Duggan, not accepting a pay raise. He will used that tactic for his political campaign for second term for Mayor of Detroit. That will get him a lot of votes. Seventy percent more Detroit votes.
    Last edited by Danny; March-31-15 at 07:17 AM.

Unreal. Only here.

When are they going to give back the 4.5% they took out of general city retirees paychecks? When are they going to give back the cost of living to general city retirees? When are they going to give back the 1% cost of living they took from Fire and Police retirees. What balls these people have!!!
    The retirees have been slapped in the face too many times.

Over on Facebook, the retired DPD pages are livid over the pay raise. Me? I'm too damn old to worry over shit I can't control.

Let's see, now.....Pinot Noir or Merlot for this afternoon.......decisions...............

If they paid them $100k, would more qualified people run for office? I'd support that, so put me in the camp that the raise was way too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Over on Facebook, the retired DPD pages are livid over the pay raise. Me? I'm too damn old to worry over shit I can't control.

Let's see, now.....Pinot Noir or Merlot for this afternoon.......decisions...............

I could go for a nice Malbec.

In all fairness Janice Winfrey does provide a valuable service informing voters about upcoming elections. [[and maybe a bit of self-promotion)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    When are they going to give back the 4.5% they took out of general city retirees paychecks? When are they going to give back the cost of living to general city retirees? When are they going to give back the 1% cost of living they took from Fire and Police retirees. What balls these people have!!!
    The retirees have been slapped in the face too many times.
    People get the government they elect. Retirees have every right to be upset. Nobody needs to be fighting for more pay right now. It simply exposes the selfish mentality of some of our 'leaders'.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post

Council President Brenda Jones also gets a raise from $80,757 to $82,776.
    This decision comes less than 6 months after Detroit emerged from Bankruptcy.
    Mayor Mike Duggan didn't request a raise, and his annual pay will remain about $166,000.

In all fairness, the Council President must have substantial food expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    In all fairness, the Council President must have substantial food expenses.
    Yeah....looks to me she hasn't pushed too many plates away from the dinner table. All jokes aside, they didn't need a raise with the city just coming out of bankruptcy. A year or two down the road, maybe...but not now.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-31-15 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Merlot, softer on the gut and easier to swallow.

Maybe they'll recoup their raises by fining John King's bookstore for having banners on the building, while numerous City owned buildings sit unsecured and destroyed.

The council looks pompous mugging for the news cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Maybe they'll recoup their raises by fining John King's bookstore for having banners on the building, while numerous City owned buildings sit unsecured and destroyed.

The council looks pompous mugging for the news cameras.
    Our TV cranked out so we are spared the asshole bull. Catching up on reading real books. The newspapers useless with made up stories ie: like Albom.

Pissed off for people [[retirees) who took a huge hit. Still waiting for street lights. Firefighters need equipment, really could do quite a rant.

Bozos get raises and my sweet neighborhood gets neglected. We have invested a small fortune into our historic home.

Jerks get raises, neighborhoods zippo. Promised a fellow forumer I would be circumspect. Read between the lines and know what I want to say.

Earn your keep might be one, but then I say that to my dogs too. Mostly they measure up, unlike council
    Last edited by sumas; April-02-15 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    People get the government they elect. Retirees have every right to be upset. Nobody needs to be fighting for more pay right now. It simply exposes the selfish mentality of some of our 'leaders'.
    I must agree with this assessment. Furthermore, I can't understand why the city council members would even do this right now. The amount of the raises are so small that it is essentially irrelevant, which makes it even more puzzling.

What is the difference between making $80k per year or making $82k per year? At $80,000 per year, the city council members are taking home about $5000 per month. This $2000 raise in salary nets them about an extra $100 per month in take home pay.

The difference between living on $5000 per month vs $5100 per month is not enough to make a noticeable difference in your lifestyle, and I don't understand why they would do something so unpopular and insensitive for such little personal gain.

Did the raises include the brand new council person? I really haven't heard anything public from her at all after her installment. What have been her votes or statements on various council business?

irrelevant is a great word. Increase in pay for what?

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I must agree with this assessment. Furthermore, I can't understand why the city council members would even do this right now. The amount of the raises are so small that it is essentially irrelevant, which makes it even more puzzling.

What is the difference between making $80k per year or making $82k per year? At $80,000 per year, the city council members are taking home about $5000 per month. This $2000 raise in salary nets them about an extra $100 per month in take home pay.

The difference between living on $5000 per month vs $5100 per month is not enough to make a noticeable difference in your lifestyle, and I don't understand why they would do something so unpopular and insensitive for such little personal gain.
    Which one of the seven deadly sins is pride?