Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Ransom Gillis House in Brush Park

October 4, 2018, once a lonely ruin the Ransom Gillis House is now in the center of the massive redevelopments of Brush Park. Read more here >>

The Completely Restored Ransom Gillis House - December 3, 2015

Ransom Gillis House - August 2, 2000

Ransom Gillis House Oct. 24, 2015

Ransom Gillis House Sept. 25, 2015

Ransom Gillis Low Point 2005

=========================================

Nicole Curtis announces at the 52 second mark of the interview.

If you have a twitter account, she tweeted a photo of the house.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/rehab-addic...ts-wxyz-studio

Excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

If you have a twitter account, she tweeted a photo of the house.
    Oddly enough, she took down the photo a few hours after tweeting it out.

On a side note, I've walked past this home hundreds of times hoping one day someone would restore it. Can't wait to see the plans she has in store for this historic home.

Oh wow! One of my favorites in the city. This is a good thing

didn't realize this was a work in progress. Had to image this house. Its seen better days but its also seen worse. This is pretty cool.

That is a major undertaking. I wish Nicole Curtis could take on the entire city!

I've actually been inside this house for a TV show that was filmed here. All the interior walls are absolute brick and the place looked about as solid as a nuclear bunker. These Brush Park homes are probably some of the most unique homes in all of SE Michigan and I don't have any doubt that Nicole Curtis will make this home shine. I've never watched any episodes of rehab addict but I've watched other shows on HGTV so I think I came safely assume they won't be doing a half-ass job.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I've actually been inside this house for a TV show that was filmed here. All the interior walls are absolute brick and the place looked about as solid as a nuclear bunker. These Brush Park homes are probably some of the most unique homes in all of SE Michigan and I don't have any doubt that Nicole Curtis will make this home shine. I've never watched any episodes of rehab addict but I've watched other shows on HGTV so I think I came safely assume they won't be doing a half-ass job.
    Like all HGTV projects expect the following trendy home design things to be included:

Open Floor Plan
    Stainless Steel Appliances
    Hardwood Floors
    Granite Countertops

My wife watches that network a lot and it doesn't matter what show or what episode, those 4 things ALWAYS come up.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Like all HGTV projects expect the following trendy home design things to be included:

Open Floor Plan
    Stainless Steel Appliances
    Hardwood Floors
    Granite Countertops

My wife watches that network a lot and it doesn't matter what show or what episode, those 4 things ALWAYS come up.
    Well now, those things USUALLY come up but not always. They do NOT come up on Nicole Curtis Rehab Addict, so its painfully obvious you have never seen her show. If your wife has, she failed to tell you that Nicole Curtis' rehab projects do not follow that pattern - at all.

Nobody is less of a fan of today's "open concept" floor plan than Nicole is, and nobody goes to as great of lengths to retain period details [[including such things as original sinks and plumbing fixtures, original bathroom tile, original kitchen cabinets, and so on) than Nicole does. She was giddy upon seeing the E. Grand Blvd house for the first time because it had original bathrooms intact and she could keep them after being spruced up.

That being said, I have no idea what she will do in a shell of house like the Ransom Gillis house is, but I'm sure it will not be a generic project.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Well now, those things USUALLY come up but not always. They do NOT come up on Nicole Curtis Rehab Addict, so its painfully obvious you have never seen her show. If your wife has, she failed to tell you that Nicole Curtis' rehab projects do not follow that pattern - at all.

Nobody is less of a fan of today's "open concept" floor plan than Nicole is, and nobody goes to as great of lengths to retain period details [[including such things as original sinks and plumbing fixtures, original bathroom tile, original kitchen cabinets, and so on) than Nicole does. She was giddy upon seeing the E. Grand Blvd house for the first time because it had original bathrooms intact and she could keep them after being spruced up.

That being said, I have no idea what she will do in a shell of house like the Ransom Gillis house is, but I'm sure it will not be a generic project.
    You're right. I've never seen her show. I go out of my way to avoid that channel if I can because it typically leads to me having more projects on my "honey-do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    You're right. I've never seen her show. I go out of my way to avoid that channel if I can because it typically leads to me having more projects on my "honey-do" list.
    I think you should keep the wife from watching!

Ummmm -- I need some remodeling at my house too!
    Name:  TalentMaster_Nicole-Curtis-DIY-2013_v_al.jpg
Views: 75193
Size:  19.6 KB

I think you should keep the wife from watching!
    While we are suggesting the impossible, how about somebody give me a billion dollars tax free!

Aybody read the article in the Freep - "One of the sole survivors" and "less decrepit-y". Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Aybody read the article in the Freep - "One of the sole survivors" and "less decrepit-y". Sheesh!
    Enclosed is the Freep article. I have read it a couple times. I could not find sole survivor or decrepit anywhere in the article.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...home/70441852/

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Enclosed is the Freep article. I have read it a couple times. I could not find sole survivor or decrepit anywhere in the article.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...home/70441852/
    Read the captions on the pictures.

Geez, what a smarmy attitude.

Nothing like getting a sucker punch with your French kiss! What? Only clueless out-of-towners need apply at the Freep? Genius caption-writer obviously has no idea how much this means to Detroit, our history, and our once-thriving entrepreneurial culture. The rest of the country slams us enough, thank you, we don't need it from our own local media.

As Ms. Curits has a budget-conscious perspective on rehabs, I hope she doesn't cut corners on this one. [[Yes, I watch her show.) Nevertheless, any Brush Park restoration is good news indeed. My late Hamtramck-born bricklayer dad would have loved to have seen this one.

In short: YAY! Can't wait until this airs!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Geez, what a smarmy attitude.

Nothing like getting a sucker punch with your French kiss! What? Only clueless out-of-towners need apply at the Freep? Genius caption-writer obviously has no idea how much this means to Detroit, our history, and our once-thriving entrepreneurial culture. The rest of the country slams us enough, thank you, we don't need it from our own local media.
    I'm not really sure what's wrong with the captions. It is one of the decrepit sole survivors of that neighborhood. That is the story of Brush Park. That's why this is big for Detroit.

Big news from the Free Press tonight:

"Details of Gilbert's plan were not available Tuesday, but he and city officials could reveal the project in an official announcement that may come as early as Wednesday, the sources, requesting anonymity, told the Free Press.

In recent weeks Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan has hinted that a future Brush Park redevelopment would involve a mix of rehabbing Gilded Age mansions and constructing new housing in the design of the period.

Gilbert's project also could have a celebrity name attached: Nicole Curtis, the host of "Rehab Addict" on the HGTV cable network."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/rea...ment/26942979/

Now this is an interesting tidbit from the Freep:

"The historic, dilapidated, distinctively turreted Ransom Gillis mansion in Detroit's Brush Park is getting ready for prime time and the hands-on design talent of HGTV star Nicole Curtis, a.k.a. the "Rehab Addict."
    Curtis will lead the renovation of the 1876-built mansion for an eight-part HGTV series to be sponsored by Quicken Loans, the mortgage lender founded by local billionaire Dan Gilbert, according to a Quicken news release. The series is scheduled to air in November and "will celebrate Detroit." "

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...rtis/30552271/

Now this is an interesting tidbit from the Freep:

"The historic, dilapidated, distinctively turreted Ransom Gillis mansion in Detroit's Brush Park is getting ready for prime time and the hands-on design talent of HGTV star Nicole Curtis, a.k.a. the "Rehab Addict."
    Curtis will lead the renovation of the 1876-built mansion for an eight-part HGTV series to be sponsored by Quicken Loans, the mortgage lender founded by local billionaire Dan Gilbert, according to a Quicken news release. The series is scheduled to air in November and "will celebrate Detroit." "

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...rtis/30552271/

You got to give it to Dan, he knows how to make the ladies happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I'm not really sure what's wrong with the captions. It is one of the decrepit sole survivors of that neighborhood. That is the story of Brush Park. That's why this is big for Detroit.
    Tried to let it go, but can't. Sole usually means one. You cannot have more than one "sole survivor". Either it is the sole survivor or it is one of the survivors.
    Last time I checked Webster's, I didn't see a word like decrepit-y.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Tried to let it go, but can't. Sole usually means one. You cannot have more than one "sole survivor". Either it is the sole survivor or it is one of the survivors.
    Last time I checked Webster's, I didn't see a word like decrepit-y.
    Sole usually means one, but in this case it doesn't. This is referring to the collective sole.

And "decrepit-y" is defined as: being in a state of decrepitude.

Update pictures from a few days ago.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast