Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 100th Anniversary of 100th Anniversary of the First Mile of Concrete Highway

Received this email from the Woodward Avenue Action Association:

Next Thursday, August 13, concrete pavers, drivers, bikers, runners and auto manufacturers around the world will take a moment to say thanks to Wayne County. In 1909 Wayne County completed the first mile of concrete highway in the world. This year celebrates the 100th anniversary of the "First Mile of Concrete Highway". Without this important innovation and cooperation between planning & design and transportation experts the modern day highway system would be just a imagination.

Please make plans to join the WA3 as we present "A Celebration of Innovation: the 100th Anniversary of the First Mile of Concrete Highway".

When: Thursday, August 13
    Time: 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
    Where: Palmer Park, Southwest field along Woodward Avenue, near 6 Mile. This field is just south of the tennis courts by the Bathhouse

Cost: Free

This event will mark the historic actions and innovations of Wayne County and the City of Detroit. On hand to unveil the M-1 markers signifying this area of Woodward's importance will be Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano, Preservation Wayne's Karen Nagher and representatives from the Michigan Department of Transportation.
    Quick Facts the World's First Mile of Concrete Highway
    Length: 1.2 miles
    Width: 24 feet
    Thickness: 6 1/2 Inches
    Agency: Wayne County Road Commission
    Commissioners: Edward Hines, John Haggerty, William Murdoch
    Engineer: George Dingman
    Cost: $13,492.83
    Contractor: Baker & Clancy

To RSVP or for more information please contact Outreach & Promotions Coordinator, Nicole Brown at nicole@woodwardavenue.org or call 248-288-2004

http://www.woodwardavenue.org/Collab...ement-108.html

I hope they've improved the design of these signs. They disappear quick.

Which signs do you mean? The historic markers? or the M-1 Heritage signs? This particular historic marker commemorating the First Mile of Concrete Highway has been in place for quite a while. I believe a new Woodward Ave. [[M-1) Heritage sign will be placed here as part of the celebration.

Horatio "Good Roads" Earle deserved some recognition for this as well. He was state highway commissioner at the time and father of the Wayne County roads bond which paid for this project. Both Earle and Hines were cyclists and members of the Detroit Wheelmen.

100 years. There sure has been a heck of a lot of innovation in that 100 years. We still can't lay a road that lasts longer than 10 years. Instead of a manned mission to Mars, maybe we should lay a road to Mars. Maybe that would help us focus?

Why don't you lead the way? You sound like a real rocket scientist.

Retroit Guest

"100th Anniversary of 100th Anniversary"?

I think you meant to say the 50th Anniversary of the 50th Anniversary!

[[ Just teasing! It reminded me of the woman who celebrated the 39th Anniversary of her 39th Birthday.)

Thanks Kathleen!

Maybe someone can bring up the sad state of the nearby Merrill Fountain...

They can install a roadway that will last approx. 50 years and I once asked why we don't do it to someone in Oakland county familiar with the Road Commission. I was told, "look at who makes up the Road Commission, road builders". Why would they want something that lasts that long. There is a stretch of concrete on I-75 just south of the 94 ramps that I think is something similar to the long lasting method.

Good point Punky1... I remember when they rebuilt the Davison Freeway about 15-20 years ago. Much of the roadway that was torn up was from the original freeway opening back in the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by punky1 View Post
    They can install a roadway that will last approx. 50 years and I once asked why we don't do it to someone in Oakland county familiar with the Road Commission. I was told, "look at who makes up the Road Commission, road builders".
    You were given incorrect information. None of the Road Commissioners in Oakland County are road builders. There's an automotive engineer, an attorney, and a medical administrator.

We are laying asphalt instead of concrete. Asphalt doesn't last longer than concrete. We are more advanced but more cheaper. That is why road pavement has taken a step back in the last 100 years.

99 th anniversary of the first concrete pothole.

When was the first time that road markers [[painted lines) were used on the concerte roads itself? I vaguely remember some references to Edward Hines coming up with that idea but I don't know if that is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    When was the first time that road markers [[painted lines) were used on the concerte roads itself? I vaguely remember some references to Edward Hines coming up with that idea but I don't know if that is right.
    Yes, Hines was behind painted center lines.
    http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...6420--,00.html

Asphalt is merely a byproduct of a hundred years of cheap oil.

If oil weren't so inexpensive, there NEVER would have been such a lousy road surface proposed.

This will be one of the signs of oil going past it's peak of production, we will not use asphalt any longer because it will be way more expensive than concrete and cement!

Even the repaving stuff uses way too much energy...I haven't even SEEN one of those contraptions in use in a while. They must've run into problems scraping off old asphalt and trying to reuse it in the same spot.