Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 50 Years of Bob Seger! Thanks for so many memories.

Hard to believe that it's been 50 years since Rockin Robert has been around. I started enjoying his music back when he was with "Doug Brown and the Omens". We used to go anywhere he played, thumbing a ride when we couldn't get a ride in some ones car. Saw him mostly at venues like the Hideout on Harper and 8 Mile Rd, the Clawson Hideout, the Silver Bell Hideout, and a great outdoor concert at the Southfield High tennis courts. The Hideout on Harper had no air conditioning and the cinder block walls would sweat so much there would be a half inch of slime on the floor by midnight.
    His covers of other groups songs were sometimes better than the original ones, such as, Whiter Shade of Pale. Along with groups like the S.R.C. the Rationals, MC5, Pleasure Seekers, and the Tyme, Bob Seger and the Last Heard were what drove the Detroit Garage sound for years.
    If anyone has any pictures or memories they could post it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks Punch and Dave!

Heard him many times at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial [[Teen High?) in high school from 1967-1971.

I'm having a problem believing Seger's only coming to Detroit for 1 night on what is possibly his last tour...he's never done that to his "hometown" since he started doing arena shows. He always does a number of nights. What gives? Why only one show? Is he planning a Grande Finale for Detroit? There were rumors of a reprise of "Live Bullet" for his last show, still a possibility?

Bluenote, maybe they don't have enough wheelchair access seats?

Old Hideout boy here.

I once slipped and fell on that sticky, but wet floor...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5An-hj7OY

My very first real date ever was at the Hideout on Harper. I was 15. My Mom was leery and insisted on driving and picking me up. He never asked me out again. Funny now, but back then, I was so embarrassed.

I probably went to the Hideout five or six times. Perhaps, Sumas, you were the one that caught my eye. Because of my shyness, we will never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I probably went to the Hideout five or six times. Perhaps, Sumas, you were the one that caught my eye. Because of my shyness, we will never know!
    I bet you were adorable. Never picked my boyfriends for money or even good looks. Did that once or twice, the good looks thing. Real zeros on the personality end.

Anyone remember the cavern, basement of a church, sucks, I was too young to go to that too. Sucked being the tail end of the boomers.
    Last edited by sumas; March-25-15 at 04:37 PM.

Bob put on a hell of a show last night. High energy, the Silver Bullet Band was in top form, great set list. The band always sounds great but Bob himself sounded better than he did on the last tour. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of him!

He picked me up hitch hiking in Rochester back in '69 with the bands equipment van.
    It had the Ramblin Gamblin' album cover painted on the side, and we had a pretty cool conversation.

Thank god I did'nt burn out those memory cells since then !!

He lives in Clarkston now? So does Kid Rock?

You win the internet Bigb23. Thats a good story.

I knew a dude who got picked by Mr. Rogers

BigB: I remember seeing that van. Sumas: I think we both did quite well. Glad to hear many positive reviews of the performance. I still like his older stuff.