Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Final call, be blessed but only if black

Been up to Harbor Town grocery for the 4th time in 5 days. Not my usual stomping grounds but husband needs seafood they have in their deli to gain weight.

Lovely, expensively dressed afro mid aged american male, selling Final Call, a black muslim newspaper for a buck is always there. Always disapears when we show up. We be white apparently, devils encarnate.

So my husband chased him down and wanted to buy a paper, at first he refused, then doubled the price. My husband said, I'll read it on line.

Sad really!
    Last edited by sumas; March-21-15 at 04:04 AM.

I really do feel sad. Go into communities in Detroit and it is about neighbors and community not the bull shit divisive crap being spewed by obvious fanatics.

I have always enjoyed the style, cadence, veracity and ferocity of Louis Farrakhan public speeches.

My favorite Farrakhan speech is the one from 2012 where he embraced Scientology. The whole arrangement makes sense on so many levels, especially if you're familiar with both religious movements.

I don't quite understand the message in this post. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    My favorite Farrakhan speech is the one from 2012 where he embraced Scientology. The whole arrangement makes sense on so many levels, especially if you're familiar with both religious movements.
    If yall are interested ill be doing audits on the freewinds cruise in a few weeks. But only for those light enough to handle it. Theta betch

Sad, but not unexpected. I once got some strange looks and a couple of negative comments when I was selling the Black Panther paper on a DSR [[shows how old I am) bus, white as I was.
    It was for an essay at school.

There are so many people in the world today that hate Americans because of our freedom.

It really sucks when our own people want to use that freedom to peddle there own kind of hate against us.

Right now would be a good time for everyone in this country who apreciates freedom to look out for it and respect that it allows us to be what we are.

A free society.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    There are so many people in the world today that hate Americans because of our freedom.

It really sucks when our own people want to use that freedom to peddle there own kind of hate against us.

Right now would be a good time for everyone in this country who apreciates freedom to look out for it and respect that it allows us to be what we are.

A free society.

What!? How naive. I guess your fine if you don't cross their line.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    I don't quite understand the message in this post. Am I missing something?
    Totally missing it, point is, radicals on any side would like to see racial polarization. Again that divide and concurr mode. Soooo sick.

We are not pawns and sickos will not win. The average citizen of the world wants peace, quality of life and to sustain its own culture. Simple really. Hard to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    What!? How naive. I guess your fine if you don't cross their line.
    Or is it your line, Mr. Magnum revolver?

Let's take your example...

Mr. Magnum Revolver is highly regulated, permitted, licensed , tracked in a police database and subject to all kinds of felony and misdemeanor laws. Mr Magnum Revolver has to toe the line just to possess one. Mr. Magnum Revolver has to hold himself to a higher standard of behavior than the average schmoe because the powers that be will take away things that belong to you and your family.

Here's a couple more. Think you own your house? Just don't pay your property tax for a couple of years, you'll find out.

You think when you put money in a bank it's still yours? Nada, nope, think I'm kidding?

If you notice no laws were broken were there?

Want to see what happened to the fourth amendment?

You don't think your being manipulated by advertising and other more nefarious methods.

Check this out...https://www.google.com/search?q=freu...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-20-15 at 08:11 PM.

The Black Nation of Islam is still in the "All white folks are Devils." business. They don't take kindly to white folks or their respect. They never take their pork culture what they claim. The Nation of Islam to this day will not welcome white people until they demand reparations from 400 years of oppression.

Malcolm X believed that and became national minister in 1958. Instead of luring blacks to Allah, the benefit the merciful. He lead them against white folks and Black Christian leaders in America which stirred up black supremacy. Some black Muslims didn't like it asked the honorable Elijah Muhammad to remove him off the pulpit. He blamed Mohammad for his release and left the Nation of Islam. Later Malcolm X was spiritually cleansed by the Hajj and started his own Nation of Islam called Muslim Mosque Inc. in 1965. Later he was killed in the Audubon Ballroom in Harlem, N.Y.C. by several black Muslim Men. Louis Farrakhan is now the national minister and blames white people to this day.

sumas, just out of curiosity, if you and your husband seemingly disagree with the message the guy was trying to push with his paper, why would you both go out of your way to try and buy one from him?

Perhaps he picked up on that, and thus the negative reaction your husband received...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    sumas, just out of curiosity, if you and your husband seemingly disagree with the message the guy was trying to push with his paper, why would you both go out of your way to try and buy one from him?

Perhaps he picked up on that, and thus the negative reaction your husband received...

It was probably like your reason to ask that; out of curiosity. I don't know too many folks hawking papers who would refuse a sale, do you?

I think it is worth illustrating the divide instead of sugarcoating it or ignoring nefarious motives.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    It was probably like your reason to ask that; out of curiosity. I don't know too many folks hawking papers who would refuse a sale, do you?

I think it is worth illustrating the divide instead of sugarcoating it or ignoring nefarious motives.
    I'm not sugarcoating anything about the racial divide in our country nor am I ignoring any nefarious actions in this instance

At the same time, it seems as though sumas and her husband only wanted to buy the paper to merely get a rise out of the guy [[based on the tone in her post about what he was selling and how often they've seen him), which her husband did. If that's the case, they're not necessarily the innocent victim in the exchange.

I could be wrong though in my assumption, which I why I asked her.

I remember the Nation Of Islam [[aka Black Muslim) guy who would stand in front of Kresge's across from Hudson's hawking the NOI newspaper, then known as "Muhammad Speaks." He stood out like a sore thumb in those groovy psychedelic days in his pinstripe suit and bowtie, standing next to the dashiki-wearing "incense makes sense" incense seller and the chanting, clinking Hare Krishnas.

He was a nice guy and always had some helpful advice for us rowdy kids who hung around that corner. He'd been in Jackson due to his own misspent youth and addictions, and wanted us all to avoid those same traps [[which not all of us did, unfortunately). He once even gave me 30 cents for the bus and a mini bean pie when I was short. But he sure wasn't going to sell me, or even let me read, those newspapers. The couple of times I asked, his answer was the same, "it's not for white folks."

In an area and a world where actual, real, Islam has become so prominent, and with the various social, economic, and technological tides and political and religious movements that have swept through the U.S., the African-American community, and the Detroit area over the years, NOI [[and its bizarro theology) actually seems kind of quaint now.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I remember the Nation Of Islam [[aka Black Muslim) guy who would stand in front of Kresge's across from Hudson's hawking the NOI newspaper, then known as "Muhammad Speaks." He stood out like a sore thumb in those groovy psychedelic days in his pinstripe suit and bowtie, standing next to the dashiki-wearing "incense makes sense" incense seller and the chanting, clinking Hare Krishnas.

He was a nice guy and always had some helpful advice for us rowdy kids who hung around that corner. He'd been in Jackson due to his own misspent youth and addictions, and wanted us all to avoid those same traps [[which not all of us did, unfortunately). He once even gave me 30 cents for the bus and a mini bean pie when I was short. But he sure wasn't going to sell me, or even let me read, those newspapers. The couple of times I asked, his answer was the same, "it's not for white folks."

In an area and a world where actual, real, Islam has become so prominent, and with the various social, economic, and technological tides and political and religious movements that have swept through the U.S., the African-American community, and the Detroit area over the years, NOI [[and its bizarro theology) actually seems kind of quaint now.
    Excellent perspective and wise words Eastside Al.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Totally missing it, point is, radicals on any side would like to see racial polarization. Again that divide and concurr mode. Soooo sick.

We are not pawns and sickos will not win. The average citizen of the world wants peace, quality of life and to sustain its own culture. Simple really. Hard to attain.
    Perhaps I am missing the point because I'm not sure what your point is. Did you mean divide and conquer? What is your definition of a radical?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

How would I know the message?. Can only assume it was negative if the guy wouldn't sell. I have deep respect for all religions that teach tolerance and respect for others. Fanatic fringes always seem to pervert any religion for whatever reason.

We have a community center down the street funded by a Muslim Mosque. They are involved in community and a welcome addition to our neighborhood.

We chase nothing except knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Perhaps I am missing the point because I'm not sure what your point is. Did you mean divide and conquer? What is your definition of a radical?
    Thank you for the spelling correction.

Definition for radical? That would take a whole different post. There are positive radicals and negative radicals. Positives want to better society with a plan for social, economic and environmental justice. Negatives want to tear things apart with no known solutions, just hate, seek, destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

Wise words indeed.

There is now a growing debate in Canada about women wearing the Niqab or burka in public, and in particular in court or when serving the public. In Quebec, there was a bill proposed to outlaw any outward sign of religious membership to a given group when serving in public service, such as teaching or other government appointed jobs. The last elections took care of the PQ government that introduced this during their campaign, and they were ousted.

While I am totally immune to the muslim veil on women, I am not so partial to the idea of freedom in the Niqab or Burka controversy in Canada. Harper has said we should disallow those garments in court or at swearing in ceremonies like citizenship, etc... I am not a fan of limiting religious expression but I also hate the symbol of oppression the fullface concealment expresses, even in the context of individual freedom.

I am not sure where to go on this, but I don't like telling folks to stop having tattoos because I don't like them anymore than telling a woman she can't wear the Niqab or Burka. I am however freaked by the appearance of women in totally concealing long black garbs including gloves, on the street. It is frankly insulting to generations of women who fought for equality and are still short of equal pay and other things.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    How would I know the message?. Can only assume it was negative if the guy wouldn't sell.
    Except you said that he offered to sell it to your husband for $2 and your husband flippantly declined after chasing him down. I don't think you were chasing knowledge but rather a confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You make the assumption, a false one in my opinion, that his primary motivation in selling a religious paper was to make money.
    Last edited by aj3647; March-21-15 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You make the assumption, a false one in my opinion, that his primary motivation in selling a religious paper was to make money.

Yes of course, but he wasn't equally proselytizing to white folks, that is the main issue. The Muslim religion has its faults, like varying degrees of rules of submission for women, but it preaches universally to all people. The NOI is another pair of shorts, it is as EastsideAl reminds us; a quaint reminder of the forces that put black folk apart from the mainstream for so long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast