Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Food from other places

Inspired by therare things to eat... thread from the detroit side

Friends visited last weekend from Philly, and I would have kicked them out had they not brought Scrapple and Taylor Pork Roll.

What food from other places do you wish you could get here?

Chilli from Springfield, Il. Yep, they spell it with two l's.
    Real cheesesteak from Aldo's. Just N.E. of Philly.
    B.B.Q Pork sandwich. Sliced not pulled from Maitland, Fl.
    A Porterhouse the quality of Harry Carey's in Chicago.

chipped ham - from around the Pittsburgh area.

Sweet tea!

O.

ccbatson Guest

It used to be that Detroit area/style bagels were unique [[in a good way), however, with the advent of national franchising, now they can be had just about anywhere....accept for the original fragels

bubble tea
    pinkberry®
    [[good quality) sushi restaurants

i do miss good brooklyn bagels - there really is no comparisson

no such thing as "good sushi" either

when I lived in NY, I missed the Detroit area's Thai restaurants -- by and large better than anything out there, in DC or in Atlanta

I love Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. I know they have it at some grocery stores, but I save it for when I'm down there so it's special.

4-way, extra cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnfant View Post
    bubble tea
    pinkberry®
    [[good quality) sushi restaurants
    Hey, Lnfant, are you from the L.A. area? I live in the east San Gabriel Valley, where we have plenty of these. Trade you for a coney island, decent BBQ place and a good soul food restaurant!

wanderinglady, you're in LA, hmm. I live in DC and I found a 95% knockoff of pinkberry® in Maryland. It's called Yogiberry :-) I read that pinkberry® is having many knockoffs and they are pursuing lawsuits [[knockoffs are showing up in Japan too). For those who don't know about pinkberry®, it's a tart frozen yogurt store where you can get fresh fruit or a multitude of various toppings incl sweet kids cereals.

bubble tea explained here: http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/index.php?page=what.html
    Last edited by Lnfant; April-07-09 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added info

Default Chino Bandido

Jade Red Chicken from Chino Bandido in Phoenix.

It's crispy chunks of chicken with a mouth-watering red sweet & sour [[pineapple & vinegar?) sauce on white rice and either refried or Cuban black beans and a Snickerdoodle or Volcano cookie for dessert. It's served in an aluminum pie plate and eaten with chopsticks.

It's just a hole-in-the-wall joint in a strip mall but the food's so good that they have an enormous and fiercely loyal clientele. Very informal and fun.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me toward a similar place around Detroit. I'll take the risk that it's not an exact match.

wanderinglady, you're in LA, hmm. I live in DC...

bubble tea explained here: http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/index.php?page=what.html
    I used to live in DC. I actually contacted Lollicup and Ten Ren about getting a license from them and opening a bubble tea place in DC near American University [[this was years ago). Didn't pan out. I remember a Lollicup in College Park, near the UMd campus. Maybe it's still there!

In that case, forget about the coneys, BBQ and soul food. For a place nicknamed "chocolate city", good BBQ and soul food were hard to find in DC. How about some crab cakes and half-smokes from a street vendor?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderinglady View Post
    I used to live in DC. I actually contacted Lollicup and Ten Ren about getting a license from them and opening a bubble tea place in DC near American University [[this was years ago). Didn't pan out. I remember a Lollicup in College Park, near the UMd campus. Maybe it's still there!

In that case, forget about the coneys, BBQ and soul food. For a place nicknamed "chocolate city", good BBQ and soul food were hard to find in DC. How about some crab cakes and half-smokes from a street vendor?
    Or a kick ass Falafel in Adams Morgan

I'll second Skyline Chili. Stopped at one in Columbus last week.

5-way with cracker bombs

Jman, what do Floridians know about barbecue? What kind of sauce was it?

For what it's worth, I would kill to be able to get a couple coneys. Or even White Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

For what it's worth, I would kill to be able to get a couple coneys. Or even White Castle.
    BBQ here sucks...We have Sonny's...that's about it

Sonny's Smokin' sauce is great!

They don't know much but every now and then you run into a place like Bubbaloo's Bodacious Barbeque in Maitland. Three sauces you apply yourself. Regular, Hot and Killer. I find that half hot and half killer is about as good as it gets. They do pork shoulders on a spit for about 12 hours and then thin slice it and stack it high. Add a cold beer on ice out of the wash bucket [[help yourself) or a sweet tea and your living.

I agree with d.mcc, Sonny's sucks. Tried it twice as I thought the first meal must have been a bad day for the kitchen. It wasn't.

Are the "regular", "hot", and "killer" the ketchup-based stuff that you usually find everywhere west of the Appalachians?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    They don't know much but every now and then you run into a place like Bubbaloo's Bodacious Barbeque in Maitland. Three sauces you apply yourself. Regular, Hot and Killer. I find that half hot and half killer is about as good as it gets. They do pork shoulders on a spit for about 12 hours and then thin slice it and stack it high. Add a cold beer on ice out of the wash bucket [[help yourself) or a sweet tea and your living.

I agree with d.mcc, Sonny's sucks. Tried it twice as I thought the first meal must have been a bad day for the kitchen. It wasn't.
    Dude...where is that at???

I'm in West Orlando...I-4 eastbound to where?

Are the "regular", "hot", and "killer" the ketchup-based stuff that you usually find everywhere west of the Appalachians?
    While it is a red sauce, it is not ketchup based nor sweet. A rather thin sauce with a slight smokey taste. Made right on the premisis.

d.mcc, from eastbound I-4, get off at Lee Road. Turn right and go about 3/4 to one mile. Small place on the left hand side. It's about two blocks before Lee Road dead ends. Picnic tables outside [[and inside). If you go, please report back as to your findings. In my opinion, it is well worth the trip. If you go at lunch or dinner time, expect to wait a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Or a kick ass Falafel in Adams Morgan
    d.mcc, where is this great falafel place? I had given up trying in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderinglady View Post

It's great that someone else knows about Ten Ren! I get most of my green teas there. I also get their bubble tea :-) I discovered that they had bubble tea about three years ago because they put up a large sign. It may have been happening before the sign but you had to be "in the know" about it.

d.mcc, where is this great falafel place? I had given up trying in DC.
    Amsterdam falafel

Fries and Falafel...only things on the menu

LodgeDodger Guest

Döner Kebab - Food of the gods. Even though I'm not a big fan of meat, I would eat DK every day were it here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast