Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Food Truck business in Detroit.

Has anyone on here ever entertained the idea of starting one up ? I was just wondering how much red tape their was or is to get permitted etc. I know some on here aren't real big fans of them as restaurants in and around midtown downtown try to get of the ground. But it seems in all other major cities these two entities coincide without conflict. Is there a big enough market to support other trucks?

Sorry. Deleted what was a double post.
    Last edited by downtownguy; March-19-15 at 01:17 PM.

This was discussed extensively in a thread here 4 years ago: A Legal Food Truck: All It Took Was A Year And 60 Trips To City Hall

I know some on here aren't real big fans of them as restaurants in and around midtown downtown try to get of the ground.

About 25 years ago, my thinking on this topic and many other urban issues was profoundly affected by what I read in the book, "City: Rediscovering the Center," by William H. Whyte. Whyte concluded that hot dog carts and other "competition" on the streets of cities did not adversely affect restaurants. In fact, he suggested that they increase the number of people going to brick-and-mortar restaurants, as they created a more vibrant street life, which, in turn, encouraged more people to come out of their offices at lunch time. Some of the folks patronized the hot dog carts, but others went to full-service eateries. It was this increased street traffic that attracted people away from eating a bag lunch at their desk, in effect, raising all "boats."

A good portion of the book is available on Google Books: http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=Qov3yfItdkYC

There's plenty of conflict between food trucks and brick-and-mortar in other cities, but even as a restaurateur, I support the idea. Not an easy business, however. Similar to brick-and-mortar restaurants, you need experience, a proven business model, and you have to be "all-in". You should talk to the guys that own El Guapo and the Mac Shack, they also build out trucks for operators.

The Downtown, Midtown, New Center corridor lacks both Indian and Jamaican/Caribbean cuisine. Give me roti wraps and simple rice-protein-sauce bowls from either culture, sanely priced, and I will be there. Both Norma G's and Detroit Delhi function as pop-ups but I'm not aware either is planning to do a truck so probably that market is wide open.

I would actually prefer that either or both be done in a modest storefront in Hamtramck to keep costs [[and hopefully menu prices) down but that's probably a futile dream. And no, Aladdin and his Bangladeshi cousins are not Indian, quite. No offense to fans of Bangladeshi cuisine, but I'm thinking more south Indian.

Norma G's is debuting its food truck this Sunday from 5pm to 10pm at St. Cece's in Corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Norma G's is debuting its food truck this Sunday from 5pm to 10pm at St. Cece's in Corktown.
    Yep. Saw that today. Had their roti curry a week or so back at their St Cece's pop-up. Not bad, but not real portable either. It'll be interesting to see what they'll be selling out of the truck.

The problem with this Sunday is that Brad Greenhill's Katoi is the Sundaylicious guest purveyor at Motor City Wine. Since the Katoi truck is mothballed for the time being, and their brick & mortar won't open until later in the spring, I cannot and will not miss this opportunity for my Khao Soi fix!