Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Childhood treats - downtown restaurants

In the 1950s many of us were taken downtown by our parents for shopping or special films like "Lady and the Tramp", "Around the World in 80 Days", or "Forbidden Planet", mostly matinees but some evenings. Part of the excursion was lunch or dinner at some place satisfactory to our parents but not too daunting for us kids. Stauffer's, Victor Lims's, Greenfields, even Peter Pan, fit the bill, but a few times we went to a place on Clifford, just off Washington Blvd., called Childs. It had a somewhat colonial look with a multipaned bow window, and the entrance was a couple of steps up from the street with curved iron railings. It was smaller and quieter than the bustling Stauffer's, and I liked the atmosphere. So many of Detroit's lost restaurants pop up on nostalgia sites and the like, but I've never seen Child's mentioned. Does anyone remember that restaurant?

after googling a bit found the following excerpt, although not specific to Detroit: How well vegetarian restaurants fared in the 1920s is unclear. The Childs restaurant chain, by then a public corporation, embraced vegetarianism briefly but changed its policy after its stock prices dropped in response.

another google:
    Childs appears to have been a steak house in Boston, Massachusetts, though I can also find no information about it. I especially love the cover with the filet mignon -- looks better than Denny's, that's for sure!

About 7/8's down the page there are multiple pics of the menu
    http://www.davesvintagestuff.com/200...t-i-1950s.html

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    another google:
    Childs appears to have been a steak house in Boston, Massachusetts, though I can also find no information about it. I especially love the cover with the filet mignon -- looks better than Denny's, that's for sure!

About 7/8's down the page there are multiple pics of the menu
    http://www.davesvintagestuff.com/200...t-i-1950s.html
    Thank you for posting the memorabilia. I knew there were more places downtown in those days than I've found online so far. Let's hope the current revival leaves us with so many amenities that in years to come people will have a hard time remembering them