Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Portland: Coming to a Detroit neigborhood near you!

Ugh. This article seems to indicate that Portlanders are leaving in droves and moving to Detroit to save the city or something. In reality, a few Portlanders got priced out and their relocation choice just happen to be Detroit out of a list of cities with cheaper cost of living than Portland.

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen a move in ready house in Detroit for $20,000. Unless their definition of move-in ready is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Ugh. This article seems to indicate that Portlanders are leaving in droves and moving to Detroit to save the city or something. In reality, a few Portlanders got priced out and their relocation choice just happen to be Detroit out of a list of cities with cheaper cost of living than Portland.

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen a move in ready house in Detroit for $20,000. Unless their definition of move-in ready is pretty low.
    Actually, I'd say it does not say that at all. Its clear the real estate agent helped 5 Portlanders buy houses last year and is working with "a handful" more. Where does it say they are moving to Detroit in droves, or are moving to "save the city"? It clearly says its due to cheap housing, a vibrant arts scene, and Portland not being the same place it was years ago. Plenty of people on the west coast are feeling the same way about other cities, most notably San Francisco [[which I have left, at least partially because its not the quirky place it was 20-something years ago).

From the article:

"Sold Only As Curio do not subscribe to the urban pioneer movement — rather, they are artists looking to make music and grow. Their motivation to relocate hinged on simple math.
    “There’s room for us to grow here, not just to survive,” Sold Only As Curio wrote. “We are working class people with hopes of home ownership [[which we could never have achieved in Portland) and we are musicians.”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; March-16-15 at 02:01 PM.

Two different mind sets

I am moving to Detroit because it offers unique prospects.

I am moving to Detroit because they would be lucky to have me because they are desperate to fill that empty house and in return I can forgo any rules,regulations or consideration towards my new neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Two different mind sets

I am moving to Detroit because it offers unique prospects.

I am moving to Detroit because they would be lucky to have me because they are desperate to fill that empty house and in return I can forgo any rules,regulations or consideration towards my new neighbors.
    I like the first one best. I would think it would be great if there were more offerings of live music in the city.

This article is a real stretch. As someone who has lived in both places, I think very few in Portland are interested in trading it in for Detroit no matter what COL benefits are involved. Even the least desirable areas of Portland are functional with regular city services, extensive light rail, and little crime relative to other cities. Large swaths of Portland ARE affordable, they just aren't where trendy musicians care to live. Maybe you can't have your latte and drink it too??
    Last edited by Hans64; March-16-15 at 04:00 PM.

I'm ready to be saved.

Let those folks from Portlandia come. Sooner or later Detroit will look like Seattle, WA. by 2070.