Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Contemporary Rowhouse Design for Detroit

In an earlier post I proposed a couple of traditional townhouse designs for central Detroit. Such are my personal preference, but recognizing today's designs from Chicago, Seattle, Richmond etc., do any of the following look like they could get built and bought in Detroit? Name:  Citizen6-exterior-rendering.jpg
Views: 7083
Size:  74.7 KBName:  3507949221_c259e0e0ff_o.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  32.6 KBName:  memphis_modern_townhouses.jpg
Views: 4727
Size:  24.6 KBName:  898736cc359cd78dbabac6396c6e2ae6.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  31.8 KBName:  12415832982bd22f3058a08bc809baf0.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  36.6 KBName:  9485abf93ed1b8c8a44439ffc1d6ddfd.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  55.8 KBName:  76de8f613b7bf881953d44227ce3d5c1.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  24.5 KB
    Last edited by A2Mike; March-15-15 at 11:47 AM.

I always thought it'd be cool if the Lower East Side was rebuilt like this. Specifically the wedge formed by Gratiot, I-75, and I-94 or the area between the Chrysler Plant and Grosse Pointe Park. I think they would stick out too much in any other part of the city.

Here are some in Milwaukee that look cool.

http://www.altiusbuildingco.com/proj...-houses/?cat=8

The city already has very notable contemporary rowhouses, by Mies, of course. Much of the Lower East Side consists of contemporary rowhouses, and they can generally be had for a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The city already has very notable contemporary rowhouses, by Mies, of course. Much of the Lower East Side consists of contemporary rowhouses, and they can generally be had for a song.
    As much as those are celebrated and attractable as those are, they do not help form a cohesive urban environment a city needs to be walkable, urban, and connected. Lafayette Park is its own little world.

Also beside LP, where does one find these contemporary rowhouses in the lower east side?

When and if any new housing construction happens in Detroit, it needs to happen carefully and intentionally in order to form an urban oasis. I think everything within Grand Blvd needs to follow this. Unfortunately, neighborhoods and low income/senior townhouse subdivisions have destroyed some parts of inner core.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    There are no rowhouses in Lafayette Park. Rowhouses do not share any common areas whereas townhouses do. Or more specifically, a resident in a townhouse does not own the land the townhouse occupies whereas the resident or landlord of a rowhouse has their own enclosed yard [[if there's room for one).
    Last edited by animatedmartian; March-16-15 at 11:29 AM.

I prefer this type of architecture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kliefi/2085536945/

This company is building a lot of stuff in my neighborhood. They have a mix of old and new stuff.

http://www.noahpropertieschicago.com

Unfortunately older wood frame house are getting knocked down for these. If it ain't brick it's gone. The wrecking ball swings quite a bit on the blocks around me. Probably half my block is rebuilt with new stuff like above, but it usually blends in perfectly with the old.