Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit City Skyline August 1970

I've been going through some old pictures and came across this one. Appears it was either a foggy day, or there was industrial smoke in the air because of all the industry going 24/7 at that time.

This was way before I met my Canadian husband. I don't remember the reason as to why I was on the Canadian side of the river. Turns out, that when I did get married, I ended up living not too far from where this photo was taken!

Anyway, thought I'd share this view with you all.

Anyone else have some old views they might share?
    Attachment 2614
    Last edited by eriedearie; December-24-09 at 02:18 PM.

Thank you for sharing. It's a nice photo. It's strange not seeing the Renaissance Centre, but the Penobscot and Guardian Building are easily recognisable, even with all the fog / smog.

Quote: "Anyone else have some old views they might share?"

Must've been a windy day when that pic was taken. On still days there was a distinct red saucer shaped cloud that used to hang over Detroit.

Aaaahh!
    Love the smell of industrial pollution in the morning!

I remember watching the J.L. Hudson Fireworks from Windsor that year. The smog was thicker downriver, where the photo appears to have been taken.

Hi Erie,

Just for the heck of it, here is a photoshop enhanced version of your photo that should show a little bit more detail, and removes the color cast to some extent. Just did this quickly in a moment of downtime. Hope you enjoy.

Attachment 2618

Cool Cman! Thanks for the fix-up! It does bring out the skyline better.

Awesome photo! I'm kind of surprised there aren't any lake freighters going by, at one point, there was one passing Detroit an average of every 10-12 minutes... but that would have been a couple decades prior to 1970. Note also that the old grain elevator [[Robic Hood?) is still in place where the Ren Cen is today. Great photo, thanks for sharing!

It looks like it was taken from almost the base of the Ambassador Bridge, before the waterfront in Windsor was redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    It looks like it was taken from almost the base of the Ambassador Bridge, before the waterfront in Windsor was redone.
    Thanks Rocko! We drove close by there today and I was hoping to scope out exactly where I took the photo from. But there is roadwork on Riverside Drive down that way and we had to take a detour around that area.

I want to go down there and take another picture and post it here for comparison! I'm just wondering if that little jog of a point is still in the water? We'll see.