Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fire breaks out at Watts Club Mozambique - Destroyed

Well Watts is no more. Burned down. Currently known for their male entertainment shows. Some news reports state there was a shooting there recently, then up it went in flames today! See banner ad for Detyes that show a bit of the building pre-fire.

Who has memories of going to see the Blues Headliner shows at this lounge back in the day?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...bique/31730418
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh no! Now where will the ladies... ladies... ladies... go?

Further, were will the men work... Work... WORK...? A male dancer was interviewed today about how the club employed several dancers. Now unemployed.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 08:28 PM.

Thought it had closed years ago. Sorry to hear of the devastation and unemployment, What a loss to a glorious/inglorious name in Detroit entertainment history. As Sumas says, I have an extra pair of gloves coming. Willing to donate.

I stood in the rain waiting to get in to see Denise Lasalle, Bobby Blue Bland, Taylor and some other down home blues singers perform there in '89 or so. Great show! Had not been back sense.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 09:49 PM.

City Council and the Council of Baptist Pastors are pleased.

Saw Billy Paul there........circa 1979 or so. My one and only visit. If I remember correctly it was a decent place back then.

Watts' Club Mozambique used to be part of the hottest entertainment strip in the city back in the 70s before they switched over to the all male revues. There was at least a half dozen clubs on Fenkell from Livernois to Wyoming, all of them offered first class jazz/blues/r&b entertainment and all of them were jammed on Friday and Saturday night.

I remember hearing the ads for Watts' Club Mozambique on the old WJZZ in high school. The name made it seem impossibly exotic, and the acts were top notch. I wish I had made it a point to get there back in the day.

There were even some live albums recorded there back in the day. I have, and love, this seriously funky one by the great jazz guitarist Grant Green:

Our late friend, Detroitplanner, danced there in his salad days. Kimba, the white lion.

Detroitplanner passed away? My goodness, I hadn't heard. I liked him, he wrote some very good posts. RIP Detroitplanner.

Good riddance to that strip club. Like Malik Shabazz says "Burn it down!"

Henry's Cocktail Lounge and the Detroit West Club were also on Fenkell & Wyoming. Not sure if either are still open.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; March-17-15 at 09:28 AM.