Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

There will be substantial damage to the concrete roadway as a result of that blaze. Look for an extended shutdown of I-94 at that point.

Caught a few shots from the MDOT traffic cameras. There was a camera at the exact ramp where the crash was, but it was all static.

Name:  full.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  9.4 KB

Name:  full [[2).jpg
Views: 851
Size:  13.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There will be substantial damage to the concrete roadway as a result of that blaze. Look for an extended shutdown of I-94 at that point.
    If they do that, they should re-engineer that section. It has been trouble for decades...in both directions, but eastbound is worse.

I always watch the traffic on the overpass entrance from Michigan Avenue while approaching this area, that's the only way to know if someone is going to interrupt the barreling horde who somehow all miss that the freeway stopped being 70mph a mile or so ago. It only takes one car entering at 30 to stir up the whole pack.

I remember many years ago a family was killed in a crash on Easter Sunday at that same spot.

It reminds me of the time that the tanker rolled under the 9 Mile bridge on I-75.

From HonkyCam 13, earlier this afternoon.......

Name:  CAM00119.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  27.8 KB

About 20 minutes ago,the ace crack news team on WJR,I was news surfing in the car,reported the fire and said they didn't know if it was regular midgrade or prem.Like it matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Nice shot, Dan. Did you take that?

Witnesses who saw the crash are quoted in the news story. Their description is something like "three cars crashed and I'm lucky to be alive". Now that's a hard hitting investigative news piece.

No I picked it up first on a New York Financial website. The pick, I think it was wxyz.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-11-15 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    If they do that, they should re-engineer that section. It has been trouble for decades...in both directions, but eastbound is worse.

I always watch the traffic on the overpass entrance from Michigan Avenue while approaching this area, that's the only way to know if someone is going to interrupt the barreling horde who somehow all miss that the freeway stopped being 70mph a mile or so ago. It only takes one car entering at 30 to stir up the whole pack.
    I've had people almost merge into the side of my car. They think their blinker can make a space. Get off the blinker and on the gas people!

Looks like I'll be trying to find a new way home today. I-94, for whatever reason, has been closed in Dearborn/Detroit at some point 4 of the last 5 days because of major accidents. Maybe God is trying to tell me something.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Looks like I'll be trying to find a new way home today. I-94, for whatever reason, has been closed in Dearborn/Detroit at some point 4 of the last 5 days because of major accidents. Maybe God is trying to tell me something.
    Maybe it's Snyder..... In times like these, try McGraw to 96. It's faster than MI Ave., and not as congested.

Because of incidents like this I always carry a bag of marshmallows in my car.

And such a cheering view the whole ride thru! But it will do the job to get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe it's Snyder..... In times like these, try McGraw to 96. It's faster than MI Ave., and not as congested.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Because of incidents like this I always carry a bag of marshmallows in my car.
    HA! Imagine what people would think if someone actually did that. I'd bet the firefighters would be pretty ticked off.

I could see the comic strip character Liō doing something like that.

I think most people didn't know westbound 94 was open for the afternoon rush hour. I used it, and it was like a weekend with hardly anyone out there. I saw the remnants of the truck, looked like there was even less than the pix I saw on the internet. Tons of emergency, hazmat, & news crews out & about. I'm glad no one was killed.

This is a little late to the discussion,,, but I was coming home from an appointment at St. John's Professional Building on 7 & Mack driving home westbound on Warren Avenue and saw the plume of purple gray snome from that far eadt. Wondrous there at this time.
    were no fatalities or major injuries, based on the news reports I heard.

Any news on the firem spreading though the sewer system lines, A concern brought uo in news reports.
    Last edited by ronaldj; March-12-15 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling typing errors

Sorry I goofed up spelling, typing and narrative. You all should be bright enough to sort it out.

So is westbound open or closed today? Need to go that way about 4 pm and not sure if I need an alternate route.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    So is westbound open or closed today? Need to go that way about 4 pm and not sure if I need an alternate route.
    At last night's Eleven O'Clock news on Channel 4, they showed all westbound lanes open and all eastbound lanes closed for at least the workdays this week, and possibly through the weekend.

First detour is Michigan Avenue. I'd stay away from that. It is going to be nasty. Parking lot purgatory.

Second detour is up Southfield to I-96. That's a bit out-of-the-way.

I'd go down Southfield to I-75...that'd be my choice, especially if I remembered my milk bottles...the Calder factory store is not too far from that intersection, a few blocks past Fort.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Westbound I-94 is open all the way to Chicago.

Name:  CAM00123.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  37.4 KB

Default HonkyCam 13 Update......

Concrete’s in. It does look like they’ll be replacing part of the GM barrier. [[between the 2 fuchsia spray paint lines) It looks pitted and weak in there.

Name:  CAM00130.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  26.5 KB