Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Matty Moroun creating 250 new jobs in I-94 industrial park? Hmm

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ment/70141842/

color me skeptical. Let's see how this turns out. Would love if it comes true but I don't trust matty quite yet.

I don't like Matty, and I'm skeptical too. However, if he delivers it most certainly is a good thing.

I hope he's sincere and I hope it works out for him.

Can I sell anyone a bridge?

the proof will be in the jobs. there should be a specific, firm timeline for the development of this project. A year from now, if there's nothing to show, and the response is "we're still working on it", whatever.. some more land that the DIBC gets to sit on..

From the article:

A presentation this morning to the EDC board indicated the new project would be up and running later this year.

What kind of manufacturing plant for a car company can, whether it's manufacturing or logistical, have soils sampled for environmental purposes, have the land prepped, have the building[[s) build, and a fully functioning facility up and running in less than 9 months? None. That kind.

My guess is he scrapes the land down to dirt and creates 45 acres of gravel parking for his trucking company.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    From the article:

A presentation this morning to the EDC board indicated the new project would be up and running later this year.

What kind of manufacturing plant for a car company can, whether it's manufacturing or logistical, have soils sampled for environmental purposes, have the land prepped, have the building[[s) build, and a fully functioning facility up and running in less than 9 months? None. That kind.

My guess is he scrapes the land down to dirt and creates 45 acres of gravel parking for his trucking company.
    Maybe they mean just the start of construction? The city has been trying develop this industrial park for sometime so imagine they have some clue as to any issues with the land. Anyway with a project of this scale your going to have a development agreement so I wouldn't worry about any parking lots showing up.
    Last edited by MSUguy; March-11-15 at 11:22 AM.

Maroun may go down as the greatest slumlord in Detroit history when he dies due to the train station - but poor he is not. He's on the billionaire Forbes list because his companies [[e.g. Central Transport and numerous trucking/logistic companies etc) employ tens of thousands of people here in Detroit/Warren. If he's willing to spend X to build out a spec space for an automotive supplier in this park - I'd be the first to bet $20 it will get done on time and in budget. Think Gilbert and his data server hosting farm in Corktown. This will be no different. Let's celebrate his deep pockets, for at least this project, in getting development done. He won't need 83 layers of financing like certain pet projects in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Maybe they mean just the start of construction? The city has been trying develop this industrial park for sometime so imagine they have some clue as to any issues with the land. Anyway with a project of this scale your going to have a development agreement so I wouldn't worry about any parking lots showing up.
    Learn from getting screwed by marathon and get the devolopment deal T's and I's crossed and dotted by a good lawyer. X amount of jobs in X amount of time or land reverts back. I wouldn't trust this blight lord very much. Throw in that he has to clear x amount of rubble off of some of his lots in the city while you have his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Maroun may go down as the greatest slumlord in Detroit history when he dies due to the train station - but poor he is not. He's on the billionaire Forbes list because his companies [[e.g. Central Transport and numerous trucking/logistic companies etc) employ tens of thousands of people here in Detroit/Warren. If he's willing to spend X to build out a spec space for an automotive supplier in this park - I'd be the first to bet $20 it will get done on time and in budget. Think Gilbert and his data server hosting farm in Corktown. This will be no different. Let's celebrate his deep pockets, for at least this project, in getting development done. He won't need 83 layers of financing like certain pet projects in Midtown.
    I think your point about Gilbert's data facility is spot on. It's amazing how that went from being announced to started to almost complete, seemingly in no time. If one has deep pockets and the ability to make plans before a project becomes public, it can actually happen soon after the public hears about it. That's just so rare in Detroit, where almost every announced project seems to be a "proposal" in its early stages, and with unsecured financing. For all we know, this could be a shovel ready project.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If one has deep pockets and the ability to make plans before a project becomes public, it can actually happen soon after the public hears about it. That's just so rare in Detroit, where almost every announced project seems to be a "proposal" in its early stages, and with unsecured financing.
    Have I told you that Magic Johnson has plans for the State Fair Grounds.

ha
    ha
    ha

I don't trust Matty at all. He's just trying to garner some good press to cancel out all the bad press he's received.

Have I told you that Magic Johnson has plans for the State Fair Grounds.

ha
    ha
    ha
    I also heard he has plans for a movie theatre on Woodward, just about where the arena is going.

Windows!!

"Jobs"!!!!

The disticntion that causes the skepticism is Dan Gilbert isn't waging a pitched battle over large parcels of public land...and isn't rumored to be involved in closed door negotiations with Duggan over that public land at the same time this out of the blue proposal drops.

call me cynical, but I'm betting there is soon to be an announcement that riverside park is a danger to the Bridge and must be walled off to the public.