Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A woman could face charges for shooting an intruder...

"This is a woman who was accosted in her driveway, she shoots somebody and they put her in custody," said Lillian Diallo. "That's not how you're supposed to treat people. She was the victim."

Lillian Diallo is sounding off. Her client was behind bars for more than 24 hours and she still doesn't know if she'll face criminal charges. She shot a man approaching her in her driveway around 4 o'clock Monday morning.

"They advanced on her, in her yard, at her car and we believe it was more than one person out there at that point in time and she identified herself as having a cpl. Having a weapon didn't stop them," said Diallo.

And Diallo says it did not stop police from arresting her client and that's not the worst of it. The woman claims police left evidence at the scene, her would-be attackers' weapons.

"You have evidence on the ground," said Diallo. "Allegedly there was a knife, there was a pipe and two hats on the ground. That would put two people in that yard. this is a woman with no criminal background, she's licensed to carry, she shoots when she's supposed to."

And she's not alone. Tuesday afternoon another woman on Detroit's East side came home to find three intruders inside. She opened fire, one was hit.

"To be honest, I hope he's not breathing."

"When they were bringing him out, he tried to make it seem like he was the victim, but he was in her home."

Now that woman is being questioned by police. If there's a war on women, it's being waged by crooks. The two shootings are examples of more women strapping up to protect themselves. The number of women renewing or receiving concealed pistol licenses is up more than 130 percent in just four years.

"They don't want to be attacked, they don't want to be dragged into an abandoned building, they don't want to be raped, they don't want to be violated. They are seriously concerned about their safety and they're coming to me to get their training so they can lawfully carry a concealed pistol," said Rick Ector from Rick's Firearm Academy.

And whether right or wrong, they're also learning there may be trouble after pulling the trigger. The woman in Tuesday's shooting is being questioned by police. Investigators say the victim in Monday's shooting is still in critical condition and cannot speak, so they can't get his side of the story. And the felony charge is still hanging over Diallo's client's head.

"She was traumatized when I went down there to see her today because she doesn't understand why she's locked up," said Diallo.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28...ng-an-intruder

She's still better off than if she'd let the bastards kill or rape her. Any training I've ever had says that you could be detained and charged for lawful use of a weapon. It's your choice to be judged by twelve or carried by six.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It's your choice to be judged by twelve or carried by six.
    Precisely. It seemed back in the day one of my aunts had what we then commonly called a 'bowling alley' gun -- meaning a gun unregistered. She never needed it, thankfully.

I don't condone unregistered gun ownership. However, more and more women are going legal, with CDL and or guns in the home should should such a 'response' be warranted.

The crooks can complain. They can also spread the word that all are not sitting ducks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 06:45 AM.

Maybe she had a phony Louis Vuitton handbag? You know how the DPD feels about that.....

Well she lives to carry it another day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    She's still better off than if she'd let the bastards kill or rape her.
    How do you know that was their intent? Or that they even posed a threat at all? The article gives no independent facts, it merely parrots what is said by the woman's attorney. Of course her attorney is going to frame it that way, but I doubt she would have been taken into custody and potentially be facing charges if it was a clear-cut case of self-defense. I'll save my judgement for when we get some independent facts from the police investigation and not take the defense attorney's account as fact without question.

That IS a point. And of course the accused perpetrators have THEIR attorney's as well. Everyone 'lawyers up' these days! There's hardly anything that cannot be defended by a lawyer or a professor!!

And if it is found that they were indeed breaking in, or in the house already that is illegal trespass.

Me, if I thought someone were in my house I would not go in. However, she may not have known they were there until she came in. Some will give a warning shot in such case, some will not.

The occupation of being a robber breaking into others homes is risky increasingly so as more people push back against having their person or property violated.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 07:43 AM.

Did anyone find that "article" to be an atrocious piece of reporting and heavily biased? Not only does it assume the default position that the woman is innocent, but it is blatantly pro-CPL and pro-gun and reeks of Right Wing commentary.

Call it female firepower.
    Yup, there's an unbiased, impartial opening statement! The next 80% of the article is basically just a soap box for the woman's attorney. Then:

If there's a war on women, it's being waged by crooks. The two shootings are examples of more women strapping up to protect themselves.
    What? What was the point of the "war on women" snark? That's a blatant and unnecessary [[and partisan) political jab to be in a local news article about a shooting. And again it's followed by the author assuming the default position that the woman was "protecting herself" merely because she's the only one left standing to tell her side of the story instead of relying on the evidence or the police investigation to determine that. Then they get a pro-gun quote from a CPL instructor, followed by more attorney soap box.

Is Fox 2 Detroit taking a cue from it's national affiliate now? Was this piece of "news" ghost-written by Wayne LaPierre?
    Last edited by aj3647; March-11-15 at 08:51 AM.

The right-wing may want ride on the coat tails of woman defending themselves with a gun. The left and right are guilty of using an incident for political endorsement thru the media. Got that.

But, I doubt most Detroiter's who choose to own guns, or CPL are all NRA member, tea-party-ers meditating on Charlton Heston [[heaven forbid) when the needs arises for self defense!

Gun ownership in the D often follows a different narrative, withstanding what the right says.

And the "War on Women" phrase is more associated with the liberal progressive world view. So I think we have a mixed bag here.

Is the story omitted from the other news stations [[2 and 7)? What is their particular slant?

Still, I get you that the whole thing needs to be thorough investigated. Deadly force is no small thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 09:09 AM.

Nice commentary Zacha. Certainly more needs reporting. Personally my sentiments will always go to the woman in crisis. We need to be able to go anywhere, anytime, without threat or judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    How do you know that was their intent? Or that they even posed a threat at all? The article gives no independent facts, it merely parrots what is said by the woman's attorney. Of course her attorney is going to frame it that way, but I doubt she would have been taken into custody and potentially be facing charges if it was a clear-cut case of self-defense. I'll save my judgement for when we get some independent facts from the police investigation and not take the defense attorney's account as fact without question.
    I heard this story on a radio report yesterday, WWJ. That report included an interview with her husband who stated he witnessed her being approached in the driveway by 2 guys she didn't know upon her return from work. She told them she had a gun & to back off. They ignored her & went after her anyway. She defended herself by shooting them.

If I'm in my driveway with 2 men I don't know coming up on me in the dark at 4 am, I can only assume their intent is to do me harm. That's the most reasonable thought any FEMALE can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That IS a point. And of course the accused perpetrators have THEIR attorney's as well. Everyone 'lawyers up' these days! There's hardly anything that cannot be defended by a lawyer or a professor!!

And if it is found that they were indeed breaking in, or in the house already that is illegal trespass.

Me, if I thought someone were in my house I would not go in. However, she may not have known they were there until she came in. Some will give a warning shot in such case, some will not.

The occupation of being a robber breaking into others homes is risky increasingly so as more people push back against having their person or property violated.
    ??? I find your posts to be rambling, incoherent, and confusing. Did you even bother to read the article? It clearly says she shot a man who approached her in her driveway. So I don't know why the hell you brought up home invasion at all or suggested that it may have taken place inside her home or that the man was attempting to break in.

As for the "perpetrator" having their own attorney...really? You know that for a fact? Tell me, what his attorney's name? Did Fox 2 News write an entire article about what his attorney [[if he even has one, which is doubtful since he's unconscious in the hospital) had to say in his defense? No? Alright then.

You seem to have made up your mind as to what happened, I'll wait for some facts/evidence first before I cheer the death of a human being. Remember that woman in Ohio who shot and killed a homeless man? She had a CPL too. She claimed she was in fear for her life, that he attacked her. That turned out to be bullshit and she went to prison for manslaughter for shooting a homeless man who simply asked her for money. I don't automatically believe someone is a "good guy" just becuase they have a CPL and they shot someone.
    Last edited by aj3647; March-11-15 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I heard this story on a radio report yesterday, WWJ. That report included an interview with her husband who stated he witnessed her being approached in the driveway by 2 guys she didn't know upon her return from work. She told them she had a gun & to back off. They ignored her & went after her anyway. She defended herself by shooting them.

If I'm in my driveway with 2 men I don't know coming up on me in the dark at 4 am, I can only assume their intent is to do me harm. That's the most reasonable thought any FEMALE can have.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...-home/31689736

No mention whatsoever of there being "2 guys." In fact, according to Click On Detroit, her husband was inside the house when he heard the gunshot, so how the hell would he know? He didn't witness it.

Remember that "road rage" shooting story in Nevada? It was national news. The woman who was killed in front of her house? Remember her family's story? Her husband and her kids' version of events? That it was road rage? That she was followed home by an angry driver and murdered?

Now, remember how that story later turned out to be bullshit? It wasn't road rage, she knew the killer, and she went home to get her son and a gun so she could hunt him down. So no, I'll wait for the police investigation first. People have a tendancy to lie when they might be facing murder charges.

I want to know if the police found weapons at the scene or on the man's body. Because right now, all we know is she shot a guy who approached her in her driveway. Everything else is speculation.

??? I find your posts to be rambling, incoherent, and confusing. Did you even bother to read the article?
    I do not champion death.
    I apologize if that was implied. And if this is a wrongful shooting she needs to be charged. I was referencing the another incident when I mentioned invasion and I admit that is close to mind as it happened to a close friend. And he will be appointed a court attorney if bound over.

And I DID concede that the "whole thing needs to be thorough investigated. Deadly force is no small thing." relative to the specific case. I do not support the idea or world view that women are exempt from committing a wrongful death.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 09:57 AM.

Ignore AJ, Zacha. Your posts are well written and understood. Of course more info needs disclosure. If it were me, the sucker would be dead. I was a victim of assault at 19, it has plagued me all my life. Now, if it is them or me, them be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is the story omitted from the other news stations [[2 and 7)? What is their particular slant?
    Fox 2 Detroit IS Channel 2. Hence the "2." I already linked to the Channel 4 [[ClickOnDetroit) article, which was written without unnecessary commentary, without quotes from people who are in no way connected to the incident, and contained actual pertinent facts. So if you want to tell me what their slant is and quote from the article to support it, I'm all ears.

And yes, the phrase "War on Women" is used by liberals. Did you fail to catch that that's not how it was used in the context of the article though? Or why it was necessary to even insert a politically-charged phrase [[that has nothing to do with gun violence) in an article about a local shooting at all?

why it was necessary to even insert a politically-charged phrase [[that has nothing to do with gun violence) in an article about a local shooting at all?
    To sell more air time?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...-home/31689736

No mention whatsoever of there being "2 guys." In fact, according to Click On Detroit, her husband was inside the house when he heard the gunshot, so how the hell would he know? He didn't witness it.
    That's the way I heard the story on WWJ yesterday morning. I'm not going to get into dueling news reports with you.

Remember that "road rage" shooting story in Nevada? It was national news. The woman who was killed in front of her house? Remember her family's story? Her husband and her kids' version of events? That it was road rage? That she was followed home by an angry driver and murdered?

Now, remember how that story later turned out to be bullshit? It wasn't road rage, she knew the killer, and she went home to get her son and a gun so she could hunt him down.
    You can't compare the two incidents. The Nevada incident was among people who knew each other, as you stated. The people in Detroit were strangers to each other. Why was she approached in her driveway at 4 am anyway? Was it the milkman? I doubt it. If there's some stranger on your property, particularly in the early morning hours, what do you think they're there for? To bring you the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes Prize? Most people reasonably will think that person is there to do harm to their person and/or property.
    Knowing what we know of crime & police response in Detroit, she probably had the most reasonably expected response to the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Why was she approached in her driveway at 4 am anyway? Was it the milkman? I doubt it. If there's some stranger on your property, particularly in the early morning hours, what do you think they're there for? To bring you the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes Prize? Most people reasonably will think that person is there to do harm to their person and/or property.
    Knowing what we know of crime & police response in Detroit, she probably had the most reasonably expected response to the incident.
    Not only that, but she warned the perps she had a gun. They decided to take their chances, they lost. It's too bad the DPD decides to jump on the victim first, but then that'll allow them to jack-up their arrest numbers. Easy prey, easy score.

Umm, eh - that was a 'TYPO'. OK? I meant to say 4 or 7, we can add channel 20... 62 or WJR AM Radio... I wonder if any will be free of bias?

Yep, I hear you about inserting that phrase. Lovely how the news slants. I never denied that.

Fox 2 Detroit IS Channel 2. Hence the "2." I already linked to the Channel 4 [[ClickOnDetroit) article, which was written without unnecessary commentary, without quotes from people who are in no way connected to the incident, and contained actual pertinent facts. So if you want to tell me what their slant is and quote from the article to support it, I'm all ears.

And yes, the phrase "War on Women" is used by liberals. Did you fail to catch that that's not how it was used in the context of the article though? Or why it was necessary to even insert a politically-charged phrase [[that has nothing to do with gun violence) in an article about a local shooting at all?
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 10:22 AM.

When a homeowner tells someone to leave and they don't, I assume they are out to do harm, or they really need to borrow a cup of sugar. If they're carrying pipes and not a Pyrex cup, I think the homeowner may assume the former.

Women need serious support. We need support from community. I run around and do errands, community work with a young attractive neighbor. Everyone assumes I am his sugar mama. So insulting to him and me.

Yes, there is a war on women. Do not attempt to dimish its harm.

I'd like to see more details, such as why the DPD says they took her into custody. Remember, lawyers will do and say anything to protect their clients.

If it's a case a self-defense, I hope they clear it up quickly and let her go.

I'd like to see more details, such as why the DPD says they took her into custody. Remember, lawyers will do and say anything to protect their clients.

If it's a case a self-defense, I hope they clear it up quickly and let her go.

Keep in mind that George Zimmerman's lawyer said that his client was only defending himself too.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not only that, but she warned the perps she had a gun. They decided to take their chances, they lost. It's too bad the DPD decides to jump on the victim first, but then that'll allow them to jack-up their arrest numbers. Easy prey, easy score.
    How do we know this to be true? Knee-jerk arrests by the police are certainly a concern, but we also don't know the whole story here. Its premature to judge.

If her statements are true, then she has a great defence. But she did shoot. Being arrested and/or charged should not be surprise. Until its found that she acted properly that seems like the right thing for the police to do when a gun is fired at a person. And she can be released.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast