Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Athlete compensation

Are larger [[extreme ?) salaries the optimal approach to encourage and achieve athletic excellence? Literally? Says who? How so?

Eli's skilled arm extends to the invisible hand, and it works in sports as well?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...7.5M-extension

I think money might be motivation for quite a few athletes to excel, I can't say for sure though because I was never good enough to be paid for playing any sport. I do believe that the best athletes excel because of pride, of fear, or some other emotion. From a personal perspective the best athletes I have encountered had the internal drive and a mentality of "I'm gonna' do what ever it takes to beat your ass, and beat it as badly as I can". I was always more motivated by fear of loosing, I played my best against the best. With the Eli thing I have to ask if he's really worth that much money. Would you pick Eli before Peyton, or Tom Brady, if you were drafting a team?

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    I think money might be motivation for quite a few athletes to excel... I do believe that the best athletes excel because of pride, of fear, or some other emotion.

With the Eli thing I have to ask if he's really worth that much money. Would you pick Eli before Peyton, or Tom Brady, if you were drafting a team?
    My impression is that the greatest motivator is the art of the athletic endeavour, and the level of commitment to it. If absent, financial compensation does motivate very well, thank you very much. However, I too have never been financially compensated for my athletic abilities.

I'd go with Eli as he has thusfar achieved least and is youngest. Worth the price tag? Not to me.

Rivers recently signed a large contract [[market rate). Has premier stats without having yet earned a Super Bowl ring. He is hungrier, in theory.