Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default something in the water?

Maybe just spring on the cusp. Spending money like drunken sailors. Normally very frugal. Donating like crazy. Buying binge. Anyone else feeling this?

No, but if you wish, you may send me a check, which will be spent wisely.

My house has been buckled down this year. My wife needs to go back to school for a promotion she wants and we've been working on paying off her student loans she's had for about 10 years now.

We cut cable [[zero regrets there), I don't eat out anymore, and we've put all large spending wishes on hold until we pay off the student loans.

Mr. Money Mustache can help quell your spending urges: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Mr. Money Mustache can help quell your spending urges: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/
    Thanks, what a great site! I appreciate you posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Thanks, what a great site! I appreciate you posting the link.
    Not a problem. I don't fully subscribe to everything he says, but I have picked up some major items.

I switched over to Republic Wireless on his suggestion and now my cell phone bill is only $28 a month.

I was paying $140 a month for cable and internet, now I'm paying $38 a month for Internet, Hulu, and Netflix and enjoying life more!

He also just really helps me buckle down and realize what is actually important in life, and what is temporary luxury.

Moderator, please move to Non-Detroit forum.

I've followed this site for the last couple of years and have embraced most of his advice. I've been retired for three years this Spring at age 38 and I give living in the City of Detroit more than half the credit. I own my 4000 sq ft home free and clear and have rental income that gives me all the rest. I post this only because it's the first time I've seen it shared.

Learn to embrace your environment as an asset and don't be afraid to deny yourself the random feel good bullshit. I cancelled a trip to New Orleans this year when I realized I couldn't meet my savings goals, but still have cash on hand.

This is a real strategy and it works. Sure beats the hell out of working for someone else. It also allows me the opportunity to put my money into the place I love living: Islandview Village. Everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My house has been buckled down this year. My wife needs to go back to school for a promotion she wants and we've been working on paying off her student loans she's had for about 10 years now.

We cut cable [[zero regrets there), I don't eat out anymore, and we've put all large spending wishes on hold until we pay off the student loans.

I so hear that. Cut our cable too, no regrets. Shut down the house, closed rooms disconnected the extra fridge etc. Been so frugal and this spending spree is a surprise to me. Been buying gloves for area denizens even. Send me a pm and I'll mail you two Meijers gift cards, one is for 25 the other 15. Never shop there and they age out. Buy your wife something sweet. Flowers maybe.

I really do keep my business in Detroit but do shop on line. Bought an extra 4 in one printer today, more gloves to give about, some power tools etc. Donated more money.

Someone, stop me please.

I was sincere about those gift cards. Spring makes me giddy and I truely believe you "can't take it with you".

With my loss of hospitalization due to the bankruptcy, watching my pennies very carefully. Scripts for me and the wife are killing us. [[She's diabetic....ever check the price of insulin?)

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Send me a pm and I'll mail you two Meijers gift cards, one is for 25 the other 15. Never shop there and they age out. Buy your wife something sweet. Flowers maybe.
    We're too blessed to take advantage of your kind offer, but it looks like Ray1936 could use them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Moderator, please move MikeM to Non-Detroit forum.

You're welcome! Better yet, move it to Facebook or something similar.

I get kooked out on buying some things on Ebay but I keep it down to a roar! I love a good bargain though. Course it is no longer a bargain when you buy two or three, etc! ......

Maybe just spring on the cusp. Spending money like drunken sailors. Normally very frugal. Donating like crazy. Buying binge. Anyone else feeling this?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Actually silly, we have donated lots to Detroit collectives. Sounds so superior on your part, "Moderator, please move" bleet.

Want a pair of nice leather gloves? Help with utilities, we work with people in need. Made a promise to a fellow forumer to "be nice". You make it hard!

Do food pantry. What do you do?

Move me, I'll have a thing or two to say. What about "Its Jeff", you are clueless, we are willing to fund it. Please please tell me what isn't Detroit about me .

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    With my loss of hospitalization due to the bankruptcy, watching my pennies very carefully. Scripts for me and the wife are killing us. [[She's diabetic....ever check the price of insulin?)
    Always stunned at the cost of medicine, my sweety has one script that costs 500 a month. Fortunately, I am rather healthy but the scripts can make a person gasp.

Back to forum, I need to stop spending! Mostly for others but this is nuts.

So you're saying that some seasonal mood to go on a spending spree is somehow Detroit related? Seems more like an urge to get attention that you must not be getting elsewhere. Only an insecure person could interpret that request as a "superior attitude." Please don't clog up the forum with personal affairs not unique to Detroit.

Mike mike mike mike mike! It's HUMP-day!!!! Be kind!!!!

I find myself doing the winter sales about now. Mostly over, but you can still find a few things for winter on sale. Especially in February. You're just so sick of wearing it though, to think of buying ahead for the next year. Sorry to hear hubby meds are so expensive. Perhaps there's some discount out there...?

Back to forum, I need to stop spending! Mostly for others but this is nuts.

Back in the day there was a dear old Detroit lady who paid for a poor family's funeral
    out of her nest egg...and then for another funeral, and another one...and then we
    Detroiters were reading the story about her nest egg being completely gone.
    You are doing gloves, not funerals. Okay. There are lost and founds and there are
    missing gloves someone lost in the street, and there are piles of stuff at the curb
    from evictions, and there is surviving albeit with cold hands, so you don't have to
    do glove-giving, and you shouldn't if it is taking out your nest egg. Just your good
    will is welcome enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Mike mike mike mike mike! It's HUMP-day!!!! Be kind!!!!
    Thanks for support. Have bought jeans, socks, underwear for area children. What's not Detroit.

Just a little stunned that I can't stop spending. Sorry Mike M for clogging the forum. Please tell me and others what you do for Detroiters in need. I am not holding my breath regarding your generousity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Back in the day there was a dear old Detroit lady who paid for a poor family's funeral
    out of her nest egg...and then for another funeral, and another one...and then we
    Detroiters were reading the story about her nest egg being completely gone.
    You are doing gloves, not funerals. Okay. There are lost and founds and there are
    missing gloves someone lost in the street, and there are piles of stuff at the curb
    from evictions, and there is surviving albeit with cold hands, so you don't have to
    do glove-giving, and you shouldn't if it is taking out your nest egg. Just your good
    will is welcome enough.
    A dear neighbor, many years back, was subject to arson. Her church rallied and raised funds. Those are the people I honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    I've followed this site for the last couple of years and have embraced most of his advice. I've been retired for three years this Spring at age 38 and I give living in the City of Detroit more than half the credit. I own my 4000 sq ft home free and clear and have rental income that gives me all the rest. I post this only because it's the first time I've seen it shared.

This is a real strategy and it works. Sure beats the hell out of working for someone else. It also allows me the opportunity to put my money into the place I love living: Islandview Village. Everybody wins.
    Viva Islandview, just don't let trolls in on our secret. Great place to live with astonishing neighbors. Fantastic homes with strange twists and turns. We even like our ghost.

Viva Islandview, just don't let trolls in on our secret. Great place to live with astonishing neighbors. Fantastic homes with strange twists and turns. We even like our ghost.
    Too late. I am thinking of moving in. I've been called a troll enough, I may as well move in and destroy your peace of mind.

Sorry too late. Stuck with one last tennant from the previous owner. No rent, destructive critter. Dislike his dog too. Anyone moves here its on invite. Free! Like people in general. Very generous, just can't do negativity anymore. Have an enforcer moving in to move them along. kind of creepy.

Open our house to all sorts of visitors from this country and around the world. Love the experiences. They like our ghost too. Sweet child in a peach colored dress.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Too late. I am thinking of moving in. I've been called a troll enough, I may as well move in and destroy your peace of mind.
    Come for a weekend, you might be surprised. life does survive in the city. You can stay on the third floor. Waiting for an adored neighbor to come by, it's his birthday. Not death by chocolate, he likes butter creme. Yech, love chocolate.

Give me a weeks notice and I'll have a small fridge, coffee maker and micro wave up there courtesy of neighbors. I like my Detroit life. Honest offer. Need to like dogs however.
    Last edited by sumas; March-12-15 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast