Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Marche De Nain Rouge...u going and any recommendations?

I think its great that there is a unique festival only found here in Detroit called La Marche du Nain Rouge.

I was wondering how many of you guys go. And I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on what things you would change, add etc.

Get Drunk. Stay Warm/ Keep out of cop's hands.

I've been. It fun! treat it like a Detroit style Mardi Gras and wear an outrageous costume.

I know they state it's family-friendly, but is it appropriate to bring my 2-year-old daughter?

I've been wanting to check it out and it just so happens my wife is out of town that weekend and I'm looking for something to do with the little lady.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I know they state it's family-friendly, but is it appropriate to bring my 2-year-old daughter?

I've been wanting to check it out and it just so happens my wife is out of town that weekend and I'm looking for something to do with the little lady.

https://www.facebook.com/MarcheduNainRouge

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post

Lots of families were there with little ones all decked out in costumes. Seems like family fare to me. Nain Rouge might be scary though with his diatribes. If she is shy or nervous????

Lots of kids and even dogs dressed out. I enjoyed it, would have taken my kids when little.

We usually take the kids and dog, both in costume, and they love it. There is a bit of drinking and noise, but people are always pretty cool. Be sure to bring a wagon or stroller for you little one--it gets more crowded every year and having to try and keep track of a toddler in a moving crowd is a nightmare.

I assume it will gather & begin at Traffic Jam as in the past? What time does the parade begin? When do they usually arrive at Masonic Temple?

Little Kidz R' Russkis, toddlerini, dawgz, biker types, downtowny suits, Varvatos staffers, baristas, plain old burban folk, Hollywoodies on a mission to scientologize, rednecks, blacknecks, whitenecks, beigenecks. Don't forget the old beatnecks and peacenecks too [[sic). Major drum rolls from a high school confidential tuba wringing singer types marching along, tripping over newly laid tracks on Woodward or old tracks circa 1941 delivered from the freeze and thaw. Ressuscitated shenanigany leprechauns and ragamuffins, Crispy Chicken and waffle eating casually dressed marchers and their grannies, special agents from the Homeland Security Force, real midgets and fake Ogres on stilts, Rumplestiltskins and cuties on Schwinn two speed pink bikes with streamers and cigarette cards tied to rusty spokes, moneymakers, moneygrabbers and big spenders, journalists with devilish goatees and their pissing habits combined with a prodigious consumption of alcoholic beverages. Big Elk Club members, tiny grandchildren of Detroit Yacht Club's roster of important folk, their wives, their make-up, the sound chips make when you chew them and imbibe another Atwater brew from a paper bag. Wish I were with youse all on da day in the D.

More tiny tots and their offspringing parents with paper-maché hats, masks and lovely lace curtain hastily put-together costumes. Smart but slightly evil looking cougars with ankle tattoos of a big Gothic D. Their Mexican girlfriends with a dozen pierced earrings hanging from their talkative lower lips. Upper middling lower class individuals of the St Paddy's day kind resuming their skillful use of city streets to examine opportunities in Corktown, later on.
    Last edited by canuck; March-10-15 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Little Kidz R' Russkis, toddlerini, dawgz, biker types, downtowny suits, Varvatos staffers, baristas, plain old burban folk, Hollywoodies on a mission to scientologize, rednecks, blacknecks, whitenecks, beigenecks. Don't forget the old beatnecks and peacenecks too [[sic). Major drum rolls from a high school confidential tuba wringing singer types marching along, tripping over newly laid tracks on Woodward or old tracks circa 1941 delivered from the freeze and thaw. Ressuscitated shenanigany leprechauns and ragamuffins, Crispy Chicken and waffle eating casually dressed marchers and their grannies, special agents from the Homeland Security Force, real midgets and fake Ogres on stilts, Rumplestiltskins and cuties on Schwinn two speed pink bikes with streamers and cigarette cards tied to rusty spokes, moneymakers, moneygrabbers and big spenders, journalists with devilish goatees and their pissing habits combined with a prodigious consumption of alcoholic beverages. Big Elk Club members, tiny grandchildren of Detroit Yacht Club's roster of important folk, their wives, their make-up, the sound chips make when you chew them and imbibe another Atwater brew from a paper bag. Wish I were with youse all on da day in the D.

More tiny tots and their offspringing parents with paper-maché hats, masks and lovely lace curtain hastily put-together costumes. Smart but slightly evil looking cougars with ankle tattoos of a big Gothic D. Their Mexican girlfriends with a dozen pierced earrings hanging from their talkative lower lips. Upper middling lower class individuals of the St Paddy's day kind resuming their skillful use of city streets to examine opportunities in Corktown, later on.
    Beautifully, wackilly rendered. Come on down here. Looking forward to meeting you.

Follow Sumas' advice. Go. Have good time. The kids will thank you in the years to come.

Thanks Ron, I would love to!

Thanks, all.

So how did this event get started? I mean what exactly is being celebrated?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
    So how did this event get started? I mean what exactly is being celebrated?
    It's a recreation of an old Detroit tradition. Since it is held around the Spring equinox I would say the end of Winter is being celebrated.

Default Native Tradition

@LiveWire, the Nain Rouge has appeared before Detroit disasters for over 300 years now. How he got started is a question, where did he come from and why does he show up?

A tale coming down the through Native tradition tells that, because the River and the Lakes were such important travelways, the Anishinabek were careful to make offering to the Guardian of the Waters, Mishipishu, the Great Water Lynx or Panther, to assure safe passage. Around these parts, they placed these offerings for a safe journey, or good fishing, or for good weather on the waters for a special occasion by a large rock on an island in the River.

Along came the Jesuits, who viewed this practice as idolatry. They didn't equate it with the Catholic practice of assigning special powers to Saints like Christopher, Francis d'Assisi, Anthony. So, a couple of them took a canoe out to the rock, broke it up into pieces and carried the pieces out into the River where they could never be retrieved. Of course, removing the rock did not eliminate the practice, just removed the marker.

The child of Mishipishu took offense at the insult to his father, and thus began the disaster appearances of the little red guy, called Nain Rouge by the French. He appears before a disaster, like the great fire of Detroit in 1805. Some say he was spotted before the Insurrection of 1967. Is he warning? Celebrating? Causing? Who knows?

Detroit ought to put up a plaque on Belle Isle to tell the story of Mishipishu, Guardian of the Lakes. Or maybe at Fort Wayne. All around the lakes are ancient depictions of Michipichu, like this one.

Thanks for answering my question. Hmm, very interesting.

We need a statue of the nain rouge? Where should it be placed? On the riverfront?

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    We need a statue of the nain rouge? Where should it be placed? On the riverfront?
    As if knocked out; right under the big fist IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    @LiveWire, the Nain Rouge has appeared before Detroit disasters for over 300 years now. How he got started is a question, where did he come from and why does he show up?

A tale coming down the through Native tradition tells that, because the River and the Lakes were such important travelways, the Anishinabek were careful to make offering to the Guardian of the Waters, Mishipishu, the Great Water Lynx or Panther, to assure safe passage. Around these parts, they placed these offerings for a safe journey, or good fishing, or for good weather on the waters for a special occasion by a large rock on an island in the River.

Along came the Jesuits, who viewed this practice as idolatry. They didn't equate it with the Catholic practice of assigning special powers to Saints like Christopher, Francis d'Assisi, Anthony. So, a couple of them took a canoe out to the rock, broke it up into pieces and carried the pieces out into the River where they could never be retrieved. Of course, removing the rock did not eliminate the practice, just removed the marker.

The child of Mishipishu took offense at the insult to his father, and thus began the disaster appearances of the little red guy, called Nain Rouge by the French. He appears before a disaster, like the great fire of Detroit in 1805. Some say he was spotted before the Insurrection of 1967. Is he warning? Celebrating? Causing? Who knows?

Detroit ought to put up a plaque on Belle Isle to tell the story of Mishipishu, Guardian of the Lakes. Or maybe at Fort Wayne. All around the lakes are ancient depictions of Michipichu, like this one.
    And this is where I part company with the naive theme of the Nain Rouge parade which is centers around vilifying and boo-ing Le Nain. The organizers clearly are oblivious to the history Gazhekwe has provided.

As a consequence we have the uncomfortable aspect, even if well-meaning and frivolous, of a largely white crowd yelling that a little red guy that he isn't welcome in a largely non-white city.

A better statement in step with the times would be to welcome Mishipishu [Le Nain], apologize for happened that created the resentment, and place a monument / plaque on Belle Isle telling the real story. By extension that could constitute a resolution to admit our sorry past mistreatment of minorities and commitment to reform our city and metropolis and move it forward on a basis that fairly includes everyone.

But it's difficult to sell a message like that against and excuse to drink, party and yell and at things one doesn't like.

Apologizing for behavior, of any kind, for which you did not personally participate is not an apology at all. It's buffoonery.

I'm terribly sorry about all those passenger pigeons to have killed over the years.

Now we can live in harmony.

Name:  20150321_153456-1.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  49.8 KB Let's not get it twisted who came here causing mischief and what color they were.

Funny, and true!

Don't want to be a sourpuss but, NAIN BLANCHE / RENTRER A LA MAISON should read;

NAIN BLANC / RENTREZ A LA MAISON. Nain; the dwarf in the masculine gender means that the adjective blanc agrees with the noun. Blanche is the feminine of Blanc. Also, the verb Rentrer is written in the infinitive. The Imperative should read: RENTREZ. That one is a common mistake among French speakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast