Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: John Varvatos

Default John Varvatos

The unveiling, John V
    it looks really cool inside
    total rock star place !
    finally Detroit steps it up !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Detroitdave; March-09-15 at 05:18 PM.

Woah!!! If you showed me that pic without any Detroit reference, I would guess his NYC or other fancy city store. Nice job! Can't say his style is for me, but I can't wait to check it out.

did they have/are they going to have a grand opening event or party like the stores in New York or Chicago or LA and have with DJs and such to get people aware?? or to set the tone of "we are here Detroit". I feel like this is pretty much a very BIG DEAL considering Detroit hasn't had much of any retail that actually is worth a damn downtown SINCE hudsons was demolished... You would think there would be some type of party or something or at least a "welcome back home" type of function to celebrate the brand and considering the designer is from Michigan... just my 2 cents...looks pretty sweet, nonetheless.

Not to put a negative spin on this very good retail story, but a while back there was an ongoing problem with glass being broken in many of the storefronts on Woodward. Just wondering if this continues to be a problem or have the cameras and security been enough of a deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not to put a negative spin on this very good retail story, but a while back there was an ongoing problem with glass being broken in many of the storefronts on Woodward. Just wondering if this continues to be a problem or have the cameras and security been enough of a deterrent?
    You do realize Dan is watching? By committing any crime in downtown Detroit, you are pretty much asking to get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    You do realize Dan is watching? By committing any crime in downtown Detroit, you are pretty much asking to get arrested.

yep... if a group of teenage white girls from Grosse Pointe got the book thrown at them for graffiti, nobody is getting away with anything downtown. which is HOW IT SHOULD BE

here's another pic. stolen from r/detroit

I must say, the look of that storefront is absolutely perfect for that building.

Wow, I just swung by the web site and his stuff is pricey to say the least. If he is still there a year from now there will be 10 more clothing stores on the block with more reasonable prices doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I must say, the look of that storefront is absolutely perfect for that building.
    Authentic restoration of the facade save for the original entry, which was at the corner. Great job. This indicates tor me we can expect quality restoration from Bedrock.

I kind of like Don Imus but do not listen to him now because he is on Sirius and I do not buy subscription radio. However, a regular participant in his shenanigans is Joseph Abboud, another American menswear designer,of Lebanese descent, I believe. Pricey stuff now marketted through Men's Wearhouse. Son bought me a dress shirt. Just purchased a merino wool sweater on-line. Will be going into the Grosse Pointe Farms store to window shop and drool over the over-the-counter and custom fit goods.

Will advise on the experience. If the person who chatted me up on the phone is an indicator, it should be a reasonably nice time.

200 bucks for a plain black t shirt? Check out the store's website when you can. Do the demographics suggest this is what the area needs/wants? The storefront does look pretty cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    200 bucks for a plain black t shirt? Check out the store's website when you can. Do the demographics suggest this is what the area needs/wants? The storefront does look pretty cool though.
    This is the same thought I had when the announcement was made for the store. There is obviously a crowd of affluent people working/living downtown that can afford and want to buy these cothes. But then I think of the demographic of people who are moving downtown in the past few years: young and educated. Yes, also "hipsters" or "yuppies" as some like to say on here as well. But the common denominator with millenials is going against stores like this: Frugality. I'm very curious to see how the store does.

And yes, I think it looks damn fantastic. A truely nice job by Bedrock on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    This is the same thought I had when the announcement was made for the store. There is obviously a crowd of affluent people working/living downtown that can afford and want to buy these cothes. But then I think of the demographic of people who are moving downtown in the past few years: young and educated. Yes, also "hipsters" or "yuppies" as some like to say on here as well. But the common denominator with millenials is going against stores like this: Frugality. I'm very curious to see how the store does.

I definitely have the same thought process as well, but then I thought to myself if Shinola and Willys can thrive, then why can't Varvatos? Especially with his location. Although I much would have rather seen a Levi or a Carhartt WIP, but after walking by last night I definitely feel his storefront has a good look and feel.

Downtown Detroit has nothing in common with Woodward/McNichols. You do realize 48226 [[Downtown Detroit's zip) is now in the richest ten zip codes in the ENTIRE state. Couple that with everyone walking by going to Tiger/Lion/Wings games, tourists from all the hotels [[i.e. revolving doors of money) and the place will be fine.

Gone are the days thinking downtown can't support anything more than Dollar Tree, Aldi and Dollar General. That's Woodward/McNichols.

That is gorgeous, and I agree with the comment that it demonstrates the historic rehab output of Bedrock [[as does their work at the First National Bldg).

JV is high end but it will be a destination for the sort of people who also are willing to drive to Somerset. Frankly, coming to lower Woodward might be less hassle and surely more interesting. It will also catch the eye of out of town visitors. It's one of those places where it really doesn't matter whether people in the neighborhood, whether new or established, go there. Just like 99 percent of New Yorkers don't shop on Fifth Avenue in Midtown.

Will it be as profitable as Fifth Avenue-- probably not in this decade-- but I think JV has brand image and hometown loyalty concerns first and foremost and wants to see how this will play out. Shrewd. And, p.s., thank you for a beautiful storefront.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I definitely have the same thought process as well, but then I thought to myself if Shinola and Willys can thrive, then why can't Varvatos? Especially with his location. Although I much would have rather seen a Levi or a Carhartt WIP, but after walking by last night I definitely feel his storefront has a good look and feel.

It would be great to se an innovative Carhartt flagship store on Woodward in anyone of the nice old buildings there. I think that their involvement with the Jazzfest might stir up some business if their store were positioned near an outdoor stage. In any case, tis nice to see a homeboy contribute to the rejuvenation of a great city.

And yes, the Varvatos storefront is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The only thing could find about this issue was a thread five years ago. Needless to say downtown is a much different place.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ily-Vandalized

The city has seen quite a few boutique retailers open over the last few years City Bird, Nest, to name a few. So the waters for this type of retail aren't totally untested.
    Last edited by MSUguy; March-11-15 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The city has seen quite a few boutique retailers open over the last few years City Bird, Nest, to name a few. So the waters for this type of retail aren't totally untested.
    I went into Shinola for the first time ever last week and was amazed how out of place I felt. It could've been the couture shop at Neiman Marcus and I still felt the sales people [[most kitchy hipster types) knew I was out of their market demographic.

The saddest thing was that there were snow removal guys outside and they wanted some coffee and apparently asked for a "double double" but neither the sales guy nor the barista in the in-house coffee shop knew what that was. This is Michigan, probably the state with the most Tim Hortons and half of our population seems to have Canadian relative, and you don't know what a double double is?! Man, it seemed so snooty.

Time will tell if the local consumer will pay up for t shirts and jackets as they did for locally assembled watches. Not sure I can envision people bragging about their Varvatos gear the same way they did their Shinola watches but we'll see.

I can see the avg. Joe like myself splurging on a $500 watch some time, especially with the local branding/craftsmanship angle but if I ever spent 150 bucks for a pair of Converse canvas sneakers I`d just feel like a fool.

What the hell is a double double?!

TTime, I agree, and a watch is far more durable and lasting than apparel. That said, it's a matter of whether enough of their target, monied audience drives in to browse, and also whether it becomes a destination for monied visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I went into Shinola for the first time ever last week and was amazed how out of place I felt. It could've been the couture shop at Neiman Marcus and I still felt the sales people [[most kitchy hipster types) knew I was out of their market demographic.

The saddest thing was that there were snow removal guys outside and they wanted some coffee and apparently asked for a "double double" but neither the sales guy nor the barista in the in-house coffee shop knew what that was. This is Michigan, probably the state with the most Tim Hortons and half of our population seems to have Canadian relative, and you don't know what a double double is?! Man, it seemed so snooty.
    I had to laugh. We are so out of the demograhics look I would hate to walk in. Sad for them, I could pay cash for what I want. We just do not look the part anymore. Think I'll stick with my dollar tree and Aldis. Everyone knows double double unless too upscale.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

I agree, They did a great job with this building , it fits well with Wright & Co just up stairs.
    I'm thinking with the crowd that frequents Wright & Co , they can clearly afford John V.

Although his stuff is pricey, people said the same thing about Shinola, Willys, Whole Food, Ect.
    There is clearly pent up demand for the new folks moving in the city and the city has to answer and this is a good start.

With the "new" David Whitney/Aloft right across the street and the book caddy around the corner, it would be great to have places for these "visitors" to shop. like in chicago, NY or LA.

I'm a single guy with a disposable income, so I might go a buy a piece or two , but nothing too expensive , just to show my support, I couldn't or wouldn't want to shop there every week, but It's good to have around to shop others potential shops that, if this works we could definitely "dip our toes in the downtown market"

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    What the hell is a double double?!
    Two creams, two sugars.

Consider me educated, thanks. And also: yuck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast