Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Air Raid Sirens

Default Air Raid Sirens

Strange, commented a few months back to a friend that I haven't heard them for years and years. Mostly got used for tornado warnings etc. since the cold war ended

Was told the system was back up and running. I didn't hear them. Did anyone else in Detroit hear them?

For younguns, 1st Saturday of the month 1 pm.

I heard ours in Rochester Hills on Saturday.

I had heard a radio report on Thursday or Friday of last week that the sirens would be tested in the city as new ones were purchased. However, there wasn't enough money in the federal grant to get them in as many locations as the city would like. There may be none you in your area yet Sumas.

Wait are you saying Detroit hasn't conducted siren tests? For how long? It's such a quintessential part of spring/summer. They could also be like some school districts and use them for curfew alerts [[found that out when I went to Pittsburgh).

They are still in use out here in Milford. I mostly don't even notice them anymore, but they go off on Saturday at 1pm [[Maybe just the first one of each month) and I hear them several times throughout the summer for tornado warnings.

I did read something a year or two ago about them being phased out in favor of a new powered voice warning system. Honestly, with cell phones and text messaging getting closer to universal use I think their place now is just a warning of last resort.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-09-15 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I did read something a year or two ago about them being phased out in favor of a new powered voice warning system.
    I remember some years ago when Garden City [[or maybe it was Westland) tested the voice system in favor of the standard sirens. Creepiest, freakout moment ever, hearing this booming voice coming from everywhere. Good thing though that it constantly mentioned that it was a test. Some people might have thought it was the second coming or something.

"air raid sirens"???? maybe back in the 50's..... I think they now refer to them as Tornado Sirens ......

Still hear them, in St Clair Shores. There was an air raid switch on the basement wall of the Forest Arms apartments when I lived there and shared care taking duties with another friend, decades ago. Likely left over from WWII. We were tempted to try it out, but decided to just let it rest.

I have one a couple hundred feet from my house, so it was very loud on Saturday when it went off. My dog howled like a wolf in the same pitch as the siren. After a while, I joined in and we had a great time. I recommend this as stress relief and a way of strengthening the bond of your pack.

Bill, that's too damn funny!

Still hear those in Wyandotte. There are a couple at BASF that are tested every second Friday of the month at 11 AM-ish and they have loudspeakers too.

Name:  ChryslerAirRaidSiren-WPCMuseum-03-20-2011.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  35.0 KBAnyone remember the Chrysler V8 air raid sirens? History[edit]Built during the World War II and Cold War era from 1952 to 1957 [[second generation) by Chrysler, its power plant contained a newly designed FirePower Hemi V8 engine with a displacement of 331 cubic inches [[5.42 l) and producing 180 horsepower [[130 kW).[1]
    Its six horns were each 3 feet [[91 cm) long. The siren could be heard 20 to 25 miles [[32 to 40 km) away, and had an output of 138 dBC [[30,000) watts. They were 12 feet [[3.7 m) long, built atop a quarter section of a Dodge truck chassis rail, and weighed an estimated 3 short tons [[2.7 t).
    In 1952, the cost of a Chrysler Air-raid Siren was $5,500[1] [[equivalent to $48,845 in 2015). The United States government helped buy sirens for selected state and county law enforcement agencies. In Los Angeles County, six were placed around key locations of populated areas, and another ten were sold to other government agencies in the state of California. These "Big Red Whistles" [[as they were nicknamed) only saw testing use. Some were located so remotely that they deteriorated due to lack of maintenance.
    The main purpose of the siren was to warn the public in the event of a nuclear attack by the Soviets during the Cold War. The operator's job was to start the engine and bring it up to operating speed, then to pull and release the transmission handle to start the wailing signal generation. The Chrysler air raid siren produced the loudest sound ever achieved by an air raid siren.[1]
    Today

Some sirens are still located above buildings and watchtowers. Many are rusted, and in some cases, the salvage value is less than the cost to remove them. A majority have been moved to museums, and some have been restored to fully functioning condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    I have one a couple hundred feet from my house, so it was very loud on Saturday when it went off. My dog howled like a wolf in the same pitch as the siren. After a while, I joined in and we had a great time. I recommend this as stress relief and a way of strengthening the bond of your pack.
    Have three dogs and will admit I on rare occaision will howl with them. It's carthetic. Play the tune Weirwolfes of London for added fun.
    Last edited by sumas; March-09-15 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    I remember some years ago when Garden City [[or maybe it was Westland) tested the voice system in favor of the standard sirens. Creepiest, freakout moment ever, hearing this booming voice coming from everywhere. Good thing though that it constantly mentioned that it was a test. Some people might have thought it was the second coming or something.
    Have to agree, really do not like inanimate objects talking to me. Had a car that would say things like,"the door is ajar" had that puppy program dismantled. Sometimes one of my computers talks to me and don't like that either. It's rare but happens, so far, haven't fallen off my chair yet.

The sirens were wailing at 1 p.m. on Saturday in Livonia. My wife always maintains that the first Saturday of the month would be the perfect time to attack us via an air raid; we'd think it was only a test. [[Cue the attack Livonia jokes).

It's true. I don't remember hearing them for many many years here on the east side. Sure do remember those Saturday @ 1 PM tests from when I was a kid though. It was so loud we had to stop whatever we were doing and wait until it was over [[and listen to our dog howl out in the yard, along with every other dog on the block).

Of course, I'm old enough to remember doing the "duck and cover" drills in the Detroit Public Schools too. As well as Fallout Shelter signs, a big room full of Civil Defense provisions in green barrels in the school basement, and the Nike missiles coming out of their bunkers on Belle Isle.

Glad to get the warning here that the sirens are coming back though. I think it would freak me out a little, like some sort of acid flashback, if I suddenly heard them without warning some Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-09-15 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's true. I don't remember hearing them for many many years here on the east side. Sure do remember those Saturday @ 1 PM tests from when I was a kid though. It was so loud we had to stop whatever we were doing and wait until it was over [[and listen to our dog howl out in the yard, along with every other dog on the block).

Of course, I'm old enough to remember doing the "duck and cover" drills in the Detroit Public Schools too. As well as Fallout Shelter signs, a big room full of Civil Defense provisions in green barrels in the school basement, and the Nike missiles coming out of their bunkers on Belle Isle.
    I don't rememebr Nikes on Belle Isle, but I do remember them in Rouge Park. I have a Civil Defence geiger counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    My wife always maintains that the first Saturday of the month would be the perfect time to attack us via an air raid; we'd think it was only a test. [[Cue the attack Livonia jokes).

You will both be duly rewarded. Please make sure you are wearing your "I'm Hardhat" and "I'm Mrs. Hardhat" identification when the invasion occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have a Civil Defence geiger counter.
    Fresh batteries?! We can have some fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote132003 View Post
    Anyone remember the Chrysler V8 air raid sirens?
    I lived a few blocks from one on the westside. If you were outside or had your windows open, you could hear the starter relay kick in and the engine turn over, then rumble up to idle. Then you knew it was time to plug your ears before the rotor kicked in and wound up.

No wonder there are only young hipsters in Detroit. The air raid sirens are chasing the elders underground where they are eaten by the Morlocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Downriviera; March-10-15 at 12:12 PM.

Now I wax nostalgic, anyone remember when jets would routinely break the sound barrier. that was painful.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Sure do remember those Saturday @ 1 PM tests from when I was a kid though. It was so loud we had to stop whatever we were doing and wait until it was over ...
    Frightening '50s ... I recall an acoustic assault from a siren near
    Hudson's downtown. Mom told me the Russians were attacking ...

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Now I wax nostalgic, anyone remember when jets would routinely break the sound barrier. that was painful.
    Made our neighbor's chickens lay "early eggs" [[polite expression for yellow mess...)