Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Authentic ethnic eating in Detroit

My friends and I want to branch out a bit and try some more ethnic eateries around town, so I was hoping to get a few suggestions here. It's pretty easy to find a good amount of the "standard" fare like Indian, SE Asian, Mexican, Mediterranean. We had our first outing at Taste of Ethiopia in Southfield yesterday, and would love to find some more options. Google/Yelp can be helpful, but I have to imagine some more under-the-radar places are out there. Does anyone know of any good spots in the area for something a bit more unusual? Anywhere within an hour or so of Detroit is feasible.

Golden Harvest in Warren has an available Chinese menu. Extremely authentic - confirmed by a bunch of guys from China my wife took there for lunch once. Hong Hua in Farmington is also very good. Pho Viet on the corner of Dequindre and 13-mile is an *excellent* Vietnamese place. There are quite a few others in the area, but I find that place to be the best.

Dakota inn-Rathskeller authentic German. John R just north of 6 mile rd.
    http://www.dakota-inn.com/

This thread is about to blow up big-if not get moved to area.
    So-for your listening enjoyment [[think I'm going to start adding soundtracks to these threads when they start-heck! why not make it an epicurean experience of multi-media proportions?)-
    here's some food-munching music for the weary traveler abroad:

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    This thread is about to blow up big-if not get moved to area.
    What do you mean, "moved to area?" You don't think Spartan's question is appropriate here?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    What do you mean, "moved to area?" You don't think Spartan's question is appropriate here?
    There are many threads regarding food in the Detroit area. Threads tend to get moved and consolidated. In this case, maybe not. Spartan is looking for the specifications for "authentic ethnic cuisine". So....who's to say? The weight is better placed on "This thread is going to blow up big".

And yes, brevity got the best of me [[still not in the habit of it); so it came out "if not get moved to area", where it should've been stated "If not, get moved to another area and/or thread". A sloppy move from someone who got straight A's in Grammar and was the son of a General Motors proofreader [[and likes to untangle Christmas lights in his spare time or untangle the inconsistencies found in the theology of pre-millenial dispensationalism according to C.I. Scofield.). Yes, I confess, sloppy move, indeed.
    Last edited by G-DDT; March-08-15 at 07:59 PM.

Rhapsody in Southgate for fairly authentic Hungarian food.

The Fiddler in West Bloomfield for Russian.

Last edited by Zacha341; March-09-15 at 06:15 AM.

Err, okay. Maybe this is what G-DDT meant: Bucharest is not Lebanese at all, and the owner does not claim the food is particularly authentic anything. The owner is Romanian, so their [[locally) famous "shawarma" probably has more in common with European Doner kebabs than with their middle-eastern cousin. Even so [[and also acknowledged by owner) what they're selling is really just a grilled chicken [[or beef) pita sandwich, since no vertical spit is used and the meat isn't even prepped that same way.

That's not to say it isn't delicious, and also one of the better meal deals in Detroit!

Back story here-- http://goo.gl/VQLEpm

You can get a ghost pepper pizza at Amar pizza in Hamtramck. It's an ancient Pakistani dish. Or if you are less foolish, get the Naga pizza, less heat, more flavor. They also have the best Chicago Deep Dish in the Detroit area, I think. Whether you order a large or a small one, it will always have 8 slices, just like in the old country.

My 'bad' on Bucharest Llama, sorry! Indeed they are not truly authentic, but I just like their particular Shawarma relative to fact that they load it up well and their garlic paste is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    Err, okay. Maybe this is what G-DDT meant: Bucharest is not Lebanese at all, and the owner does not claim the food is particularly authentic anything. The owner is Romanian, so their [[locally) famous "shawarma" probably has more in common with European Doner kebabs than with their middle-eastern cousin.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-09-15 at 04:39 PM.

I wish someone would open an authentic French restaurant. Wishful thinking I know, but it would be nice.

Nilsson...Schmillson. Wish I could have have had a ride in that limo with Lennon/Lenin. Poor drug-addled drunckaholic dead before his time genious. Here's why I did not go to work today. Ony it is Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Cedarland, Warren, just East of Miller Road.

Awesome! That is the best Cedarland IMO, if it is the place I think it even has a drive thru round back.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-15 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
    I wish someone would open an authentic French restaurant. Wishful thinking I know, but it would be nice.
    Have you been to Marais in GP? Seems to be the only true French in the area from what I've seen, but I don't know if it's authentic or any good. There's also Le Petit Zinc and Bistro 82, plus in Ann Arbor, The Earle and Cafe Felix, which are all supposed to be French places. I enjoyed Le Petit Zinc when I went, but that is only crepes, for the most part.

No, I haven't been to any of those places. Thanks for the suggestions Spartan!
    Ann Arbor is a bit far from me, but that Marais restaurant in Grosse Point looks nice. I looked them up online - they're a bit pricey [[not surprising for a French rest.) but I'll have to treat myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Awesome! That is the best Cedarland IMO, if it is the place I think it even has a drive thru round back.
    That's the one. Been going there for about 30 years. Used to frequent it more often when I lived on that side of town.

^^^ Yeah early winter I was in severe pain [[chronic knee issue) and was looking for some shwarma's and hummus and dreaded getting out of the car! Pulled up and noted a 'drive thru' sign and ordered up.

I was so happy to not have to do the 'fast food' drive thru scene!

I highly recommend Trizest in Sterling Heights for authentic [[or so I'm told) Chinese. Been there over a dozen times and generally we are the only native English speakers in the joint. Prices are sane, there's a menu with the usual American Chinese dishes if someone in your party isn't as adventurous... I just wish they had a liquor license.

One of my favorite thigs about Cedarland is they have brains on the drive through menu. I've never been brave enough to buy them but I'm glad it exists. Maybe someday. Here's a Freep article that may be helpful - http://archive.freep.com/article/201...oit-freep-five

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I highly recommend Trizest in Sterling Heights for authentic [[or so I'm told) Chinese. Been there over a dozen times and generally we are the only native English speakers in the joint. Prices are sane, there's a menu with the usual American Chinese dishes if someone in your party isn't as adventurous... I just wish they had a liquor license.
    If in Wayne county, you can do the byo thing.

^^^ What? Brains enough to have a drive thru or serving them? ...... Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    One of my favorite thigs about Cedarland is they have brains on the drive through menu.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-12-15 at 06:34 AM.

Brains made me a little billious. Tripe, chitterlings more so. Hagis sounds gross too. I am that non adventursome eater. I like vegetable chop suey. We aren't vegetarians but eat little meat. Lately trying to fatten Ron up, have added lots more protein. The porter house the other night was suberb. Now my husband wants lamb, never cooked it and clueless. I looked him in the eye and said go to Greektown. I generally get Mousaka. After the first sip ozo is not too bad.

With the weather breaking we will no doubt get out more. Lots of restaurants I want to try.

Tripe is an unpleasant texture. I've tried it a few different ways and I'm not a fan. I've had decent chitterlings before but that was many moons ago. You may like tongue [[tacos at lapita's are a great way to try it) and jowl bacon. Actually jowl bacon is amazing and I see it more often at grocery stores just like I see pork belly on every menu all of a sudden.

As far as French I stopped by Angelina's to talk with the owner today and he said there's a French restaurant opening in the Whitney building. I didn't ask him to elaborate but it sounds promising.

Now if I could just find a good peking duck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast