Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default no W-2 from City of Detroit?

I stopped working full-time for the city this summer.
    I haven't gotten my W-2.
    I called payroll audit was told these were mailed, and I'd need to pay a $5 by check for a replacement.

They suggested maybe I had moved...No I haven't moved.

In previous years I would have got from my department. They don't have it either.

It's just $5--the city needs it more than I do. But I do wonder, is this an isolated incident or was there a mailing snafu? Thus I post.

Ursula, you're dealing with the City of Detroit after all. You're lucky you were able to contact a "real" person when you called. 99.9% of the time, when I call the City, I get a full mailbox and can't even leave a message. The other times, I can leave a message with a promise of a call back within 24 hours, which never happens. I've written letters because of a problem with needed paperwork, with no response. When I do reach a person, they don't seem to know what they are talking about or make it as though YOU'RE the problem, not them.
    This has gone on with all administratons, not just this one. I have been deaing with the office staff for over 50 years and I get the same results, nothing.
    In your case, I tend to believe that it's an easy way to generate revenue.

Curious. Does the COD still do its own payroll? I thought there was talk years ago about turning the payroll function over to a private entity because it wasn't cost effective, and a can-of-worms to deal with. You can't access and print off a copy of your W-2 from the COD online?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You can't access and print off a copy of your W-2 from the COD online?
    According to federal law, a W-2 form showing the total wages and amount of taxes withheld must be mailed out by the employer [[they must file the same W-2 form with SSA and the state/local governments that also collect taxes from an employee). You can't just go on a website and print off a copy.

The OP, from what I can understand, worked for the COD and thus the COD was their employer.

And to answer the OP's question, it could have very well been a mailing snafu. I can't tell you how many times I've mistakenly received mail at my residence that should have went elsewhere. And given there hasn't been any reports about a ton of city employees not receiving their W-2 forms, I doubt it's a common incident.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-07-15 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    According to federal law, a W-2 form showing the total wages and amount of taxes withheld must be mailed out by the employer [[they must file the same W-2 form with SSA and the state/local governments that also collect taxes from an employee). You can't just go on a website and print off a copy.

The OP, from what I can understand, worked for the COD and thus the COD was their employer.

And to answer the OP's question, it could have very well been a mailing snafu. I can't tell you how many times I've mistakenly received mail at my residence that should have went elsewhere. And given there hasn't been any reports about a ton of city employees not receiving their W-2 forms, I doubt it's a common incident.
    Welcome to my world. Mailing errors are quite common. I think our horror of a mail person got transfered, out sick or retired. The new one is quite effecient.

Quite by accident over payed [[by double) city of detroit property taxes one year, became a creditor in the bankruptsy, framed that letter. What the hell, they need that money more than I do. I doubt I'll see a penny back. Be nice if I got a donor letter though. Just joking!

Tried to retrieve that money moving from dept to dept. All had joie de vivre, saying "good luck". To be very honest I have mostly gottten excellent courteous service in person at CAY, phone calls, different story.
    Last edited by sumas; March-07-15 at 05:00 PM.

City of Detroit employee checking in here - yes I received my W-2 from my department
    at work.
    Couple other possibilities: every once in a while a piece of mail falls behind the door
    closer at the bottom of my door. Great hiding spot - now I check there every time I
    think I should have received something in the mail by now. While most City of Detroit
    employees are utterly trustworthy, and one of the bag security inspectors at CAY
    knew which room to take my wallet to when I left it in the security scanner tray there,
    someone who is a thief would try to be around W-2's being mailed out, if at all possible.
    So if it were me I would file an "affidavit of identity theft" with the IRS right about now -
    this can be filed even if no identity theft is known to have occurred, if one has lost a
    wallet, etc.

Odd, my employer didn't mail me one. Although I kind of vaguely remember them having an opt-out for it.

It's not that I don't believe you about said law still being on the books, but it seems rather archaic in this day and age. My previous employer didn't send W-2's, I simply received a notice they were available online from the 3rd party vendor that handled payroll. Years ago, I did print them out, and attached a copy when I filed. Never an issue with any of the Government entities, including the COD. [[other than never receiving a refund from the last one) These days with electronic filing, no printing is necessary. I'm surprised the OP has to go through this. But it is the COD.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-07-15 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    City of Detroit employee checking in here - yes I received my W-2 from my department
    at work.
    Couple other possibilities: every once in a while a piece of mail falls behind the door
    closer at the bottom of my door. Great hiding spot - now I check there every time I
    think I should have received something in the mail by now. While most City of Detroit
    employees are utterly trustworthy, and one of the bag security inspectors at CAY
    knew which room to take my wallet to when I left it in the security scanner tray there,
    someone who is a thief would try to be around W-2's being mailed out, if at all possible.
    So if it were me I would file an "affidavit of identity theft" with the IRS right about now -
    this can be filed even if no identity theft is known to have occurred, if one has lost a
    wallet, etc.
    Kudos dumpling, very serious, many many city employees are fantastic. I, like others, have a few horror stories but they are not the rule. Phone enquiries do need to be improved however.

Thanks for all your replies!

Sumas, while getting praise is nice, and being helpful is the right thing to do,
    not always should we expect praise for being helpful. The reward can come in
    other ways. Reading this site one gets "where the rubber hits the road" advice
    and insights, and from the more people, the better, bad grammar notwithstanding.
    So reward is right there sometimes. Hopefully Ursula posts what happened in
    the end. Apparently tax fraud is on a big upswing - not sure where Detroit
    fits into this picture.
    Some are suggesting that tax refunds be delayed until the IRS has all tax returns
    and W-2 information in hand and has checked them.
    Last edited by Dumpling; March-08-15 at 06:59 PM. Reason: line alignment

I just had my taxes done on Saturday, and priorto my current job, had worked within Detroit for about 9 months. I found out that the city had been taking out way too much in taxes, as they had been taxing me as a resident of Detroit and not just as a worker. I then was informed by my tax prepper that rather than e-filing as I was going to with my Fed and State returns, it would be wiser to do so by mailing it in to Detroit. When I asked why, he laughed and proceeded to tell me several horrer stories about clients attempting to e-file with the city. Hopefully they can get all of these new computer systems up and running soon.

An update
    Just in case...I am submitting an affidavit of identity theft to the IRS.
    I hadn't known about this form/procedure.
    Wise idea.

Will go downtown and pay for replacement W-2 this week.
    I too, in my limited experience, have always gotten better results in person. Often no results calling the COD.

Thanks again folks!

Employers find a way around this by making it available online for you to print. As long as it's posted by Jan 31st, they figure they're in compliance. My husband had a contract job with GM a few years ago. The contract house used a 3rd party W-2/1099 provider who made the form available to you online for up to 18 mos. My employer, this year, for the first time, gave us the option of having an online copy you print from our intranet or just having it mailed out. I personally feel somewhat better about it still being generated in house & on our intranet rather than an outside party using as "secure" website. But who am I to stop progress?