Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State Rep Bashes Duggan, M1 Rail, and Downtown Development

Detroit State Rep. Mary Rose Robinson made a number of interesting [[for lack of a better term) claims, accusations, arguments, and assertions in an interview that aired today on "Off The Record."

Among other things, she asserted that "they" [[Duggan and others) were catering to an "artificial community" downtown, while ignoring the neighborhoods. When questioned further on the subject, she then switches up and says that Duggan is only focusing on the "nice neighborhoods", and ignoring the rest of the city neighborhoods, such as the "east side". When the moderator then asks her about Duggan's blight clearance in the bad neighborhoods [[i.e. the neighborhoods she says he is ignoring), she switches up again and says "that not addressing the issues of poverty, unemployment, and poor health."

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...or_mike_d.html

I find it amazing this women has been continually elected this long. She would fit right in the Peoples Republic of North Korea.

The neighborhoods will fall in line only after the downtown has been built back up. They will have a halo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    The neighborhoods will fall in line only after the downtown has been built back up....
    And pigs learn to fly.

The neighborhoods will fall in line only after the downtown has been built back up.
    So basically, the neighborhoods will never "fall in line" as you claim, as we're decades away from downtown ever being built back up and the neighborhoods continue to rapidly decline...

They've been throwing money at downtown for almost 40 years.
    Neighborhoods have been neglected at least that long.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So basically, the neighborhoods will never "fall in line" as you claim, as we're decades away from downtown ever being built back up and the neighborhoods continue to rapidly decline...

There are people who sincerely believe that it is unjust to focus attention on greater downtown and a few relatively affluent neighborhoods while mostly ignoring the poorer ones. This representative appears to be of that opinion. I kind of agree about the unfairness, but from the standpoint of improving life in the city in general, with very limited resources, you probably need to focus those resources on the places that need less help, not those that need more. No residents of the city benefit from the current very low levels of average income and taxpaying capacity.

It is also hard to understand how the neighborhoods can be made more viable without better, accessible employment opportunities for their current residents and potential new arrivals. If you are going to get those at all, it seems to me that you are primarily going to get them by making the core city more attractive to businesses. So I understand her complaint, but I wouldn't want to use it as a basis for redevelopment policy.

The neighborhoods will fall in line only after the downtown has been built back up. They will have a halo effect.
    Favorite saying of Detroit boosters from about 1950 to the present. Awaiting said promised "halo effect", as heavily subsidized, dubious outcomes from development downtown magically transform Dexter-Davison any day now.

its easy to be a critic. I sincerely doubt she could do better. Best we can hope for is a strong core that grows outward. Nobody will give neighborhood detroit a chance without adequate public services. The poor, unemployed, underemployed, and unwell arent able to contribute so you focus where you can. Those with means invariably float service costs for thats without.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Favorite saying of Detroit boosters from about 1950 to the present. Awaiting said promised "halo effect", as heavily subsidized, dubious outcomes from development downtown magically transform Dexter-Davison any day now.
    A ridiculous statement as usual. Nobody is claiming that downtown development will transform Dexter-Davison "any day now." But it might result in things like the proposed new apartment building in West Village. [[Not long ago, in one of the articles about people being priced out of downtown, a young woman was profile who ended up moving to West Village for a better deal.)

She makes a valid point about money corrupting the system, and I am definitely left of center. But I'm practical as well. If she does not caucus with her fellow Democrats in Lansing, what can she actually accomplish?

And as many have said here before, without a growing tax base, which I only see being restored by a vibrant downtown and midtown, where will the funds for services come from? Not from Lansing, with the GOP Teabaggers in charge. [[Off topic, but Michigan's race to become the Alabama or Mississippi of the north being imposed by those Teabaggers is making Michigan a laughing stock in the more progressive parts of the country, and is one of many reasons some of us cannot see ourselves returning.)

http://www.equalitymi.org/media-cent...oster-children
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; March-07-15 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    She makes a valid point about money corrupting the system, and I am definitely left of center. But I'm practical as well. If she does not caucus with her fellow Democrats in Lansing, what can she actually accomplish?

And as many have said here before, without a growing tax base, which I only see being restored by a vibrant downtown and midtown, where will the funds for services come from? Not from Lansing, with the GOP Teabaggers in charge. [[Off topic, but Michigan's race to become the Alabama or Mississippi of the north being imposed by those Teabaggers is making Michigan a laughing stock in the more progressive parts of the country, and is one of many reasons some of us cannot see ourselves returning.)

http://www.equalitymi.org/media-cent...oster-children
    And what "progressive" parts are those? Illinois, California, New York and New Jersey, who are awfully close to 1-4 in the most underfunded pension plans? Progressive states like Massachusetts and Maryland, who were so fed up with high taxes and failed economic policies that those deep blue states elected Republican governors? And in case you didn't notice, when the "teabaggers" [[nice offensive term) were NOT in charge in Lansing, and Jenny G. was, were Detroit and Michigan held up as a shining examples of a city and a state? Didn't think so.

Duggan is doing exactly as he should--tackling the problems that are within the City's control, like balancing a budget, improving public services and attracting development.

Offending some very high percentage of the population of the Greater Detroit area is probably not the best way to energize people and get them enthusiastic about Detroit's comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    And what "progressive" parts are those? Illinois, California, New York and New Jersey, who are awfully close to 1-4 in the most underfunded pension plans? Progressive states like Massachusetts and Maryland, who were so fed up with high taxes and failed economic policies that those deep blue states elected Republican governors? And in case you didn't notice, when the "teabaggers" [[nice offensive term) were NOT in charge in Lansing, and Jenny G. was, were Detroit and Michigan held up as a shining examples of a city and a state? Didn't think so.

Duggan is doing exactly as he should--tackling the problems that are within the City's control, like balancing a budget, improving public services and attracting development.

Offending some very high percentage of the population of the Greater Detroit area is probably not the best way to energize people and get them enthusiastic about Detroit's comeback.
    Yes, I'm including California and any other state where the legislators are not motivated by hate, and hell-bent on institutionalizing discrimination. Perhaps if it were directed towards you....you might understand that.

Maybe the legislature could spend its time on things other than Right to Discriminate bills, and ensuring that more kids will remain in foster care [[how pro-child of them). Those actions, and the state's continuing opposition marriage equality really do make Michigan appear to be more in line with Mississippi and Alabama [[red states with SUCH wonderful accomplishments).

If you don't like the teabagger name, should I instead refer to them as Christo-Fascist Theocrats?

I think Duggan is doing a fine job, and never said otherwise.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; March-07-15 at 08:33 PM.

A vibrant downtown can be helped along by civic spirit and contributions. The neighborhoods cannot be helped in the same way.

This idea that it is an either-or is false.

The hoods will heal themselves when we educate our children, rather than fight education reform. Oh, and jobs. And jobs will come more if there is a positive sense of Detroit by outsiders. So stop bashing outsiders. Welcome them. And build a great downtown so outsiders see that success is possible.

Blight removal expansion and aggressive recruitment of alternative industries to Detroit proper-- with a minimum, if any, of the ubiquitous 'tax rebates'-- is paramount.
    A radical revision of how K-12 education works in the city is a co-issue. To have a flailing DPS perpetually under receivership and unabated development of charters with a haphazard success rate is not good and runs away most "middle class" parents.

This is just another day. Today it's a professional politician spilling an anti wealth agenda so that he/she can keep their mouth in the public trough and tomorrow it will be another professional shoving a bible down our throats so they can feed at the same trough for their entire lifetime as-well. Same bullshit different day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A vibrant downtown can be helped along by civic spirit and contributions. The neighborhoods cannot be helped in the same way.

This idea that it is an either-or is false.

The hoods will heal themselves when we educate our children, rather than fight education reform. Oh, and jobs. And jobs will come more if there is a positive sense of Detroit by outsiders. So stop bashing outsiders. Welcome them. And build a great downtown so outsiders see that success is possible.
    With the right amount of subsidizing and tax rebates, anything's "possible" .

LOL
    Just like Atlantic City?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    There are people who sincerely believe that it is unjust to focus attention on greater downtown and a few relatively affluent neighborhoods while mostly ignoring the poorer ones. This representative appears to be of that opinion. I kind of agree about the unfairness, but from the standpoint of improving life in the city in general, with very limited resources, you probably need to focus those resources on the places that need less help, not those that need more. No residents of the city benefit from the current very low levels of average income and taxpaying capacity.

It is also hard to understand how the neighborhoods can be made more viable without better, accessible employment opportunities for their current residents and potential new arrivals. If you are going to get those at all, it seems to me that you are primarily going to get them by making the core city more attractive to businesses. So I understand her complaint, but I wouldn't want to use it as a basis for redevelopment policy.
    I'm of a mind to believe that the majority of the residents [[who happen to be black) need to be educated -- again -- about just the basic things about life. How to talk properly, how to say thank you, please; how to use etiquette and manners; how to be clean and how to clean their neighborhoods.
    Is there anything wrong with demanding -- yes demanding -- that everybody in every neighborhood get out and help clean the streets and the alleys at least once a week? Pick up some bottles and paper?
    What would help and would have helped detroit homeowners greatly is every decent neighborhood have a "home owners association" like the suburbs do. That keeps home owners and landlords in line.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post

BankruptcyGuy,

DetroiterOnTheWestCoast is absolutely correct by saying that Rep. Robinson is not being practical, and is unlikely to accomplish much of anything with her combination of choosing to not caucus with her fellow Democrats in Lansing, vilifying Mayor Duggan, and opposing development in downtown and virtually every other city neighborhood that is seeing an influx of new development and residents. Rep. Robinson wants more support and funding for the poorest and most disadvantaged residents and neighborhoods in Detroit, but how does fiercely opposing the state Democratic party and the resurgence of downtown and other city neighborhoods help to achieve those goals? If she refuses to support, or at least work with her allies, then who does she think will step up to help her cause? It certainly won't be the hard-right Tea Party GOPers in Lansing. Rep. Robinson has fallen victim to the perfect solution fallacy, where any plan or strategy that doesn't solve every aspect of the problem is wrong and should be rejected.

I do believe that the neighborhoods are being sacrificed and not ignored. However, poverty, poor health is on the individuals and not the mayor. Many Detroiters are single parent mothers who have more than one child and are head of households. Those are decisions made by them that had put most of them in poverty. Many people a few generations back had moved to Detroit to work for the big 3. Those that did work for the plants often wanted a better life for their children. Many Detroiters of this generation had slipped by the wayside. I am not referring to those who had lost their jobs. I am referring to those who had continued to make mistake after mistake by having children out of wedlock. The men are guilty as well. I do blame Michigan's elected officials for sabotaging the Detroit Public Schools through Emergency Managers and State Takeovers leaving school children in shambles

The state rep, can bash all he or she wants. Detroit is back in its second renaissance. New regional businesses filling up buildings, its public services back on track, crime is slowly shrinking and other businesses are taking care. Detroit has a mayor that takes care of business, not throwing Manoogian Parties. Our city council oversees its own districts, not entire neighborhoods. That State rep. probably never visited Detroit a while. If they rep. did he or she would think it's still fill with poor black people pacified under food stamps and welfare checks. Or its family told the rep. don't go to any store in Detroit unless you have a gun in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Detroit State Rep. Mary Rose Robinson made a number of interesting [[for lack of a better term) claims, accusations, arguments, and assertions in an interview that aired today on "Off The Record."

Among other things, she asserted that "they" [[Duggan and others) were catering to an "artificial community" downtown, while ignoring the neighborhoods. When questioned further on the subject, she then switches up and says that Duggan is only focusing on the "nice neighborhoods", and ignoring the rest of the city neighborhoods, such as the "east side". When the moderator then asks her about Duggan's blight clearance in the bad neighborhoods [[i.e. the neighborhoods she says he is ignoring), she switches up again and says "that not addressing the issues of poverty, unemployment, and poor health."

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...or_mike_d.html
    Well we all make choices in life. Why doesn't she just move?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes, I'm including California and any other state where the legislators are not motivated by hate, and hell-bent on institutionalizing discrimination. Perhaps if it were directed towards you....you might understand that.

Maybe the legislature could spend its time on things other than Right to Discriminate bills, and ensuring that more kids will remain in foster care [[how pro-child of them). Those actions, and the state's continuing opposition marriage equality really do make Michigan appear to be more in line with Mississippi and Alabama [[red states with SUCH wonderful accomplishments).

If you don't like the teabagger name, should I instead refer to them as Christo-Fascist Theocrats?

I think Duggan is doing a fine job, and never said otherwise.
    i understand and that the issue of balancing religious freedoms and rights for everyone raises people's blood pressure. But bills proposed in the legislature but not passed aren't the best indicator of the collective beliefs of a state or even a legislative body. I don't think there's much doubt that marriage equality will be resolved by the Supreme Court in the next three months.

heck, even your state passed a state-wide referendum banning gay marriage. Is California racing to be like Mississippi as well?

this is an issue where public opinion has done a radical shift in the last 10 years. For the good, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Well we all make choices in life. Why doesn't she just move?
    I wouldn't say that she should move if she doesn't like how things are going. I don't disagree with her basic premise that we aren't doing enough to address the issues of poverty, unemployment, and poor health. What I disagree with is her opposition to positive change, just because it isn't yet widespread and transformative enough.

Instead of vilifying Mayor Duggan and the benefactors of the M1 rail project, who are all clearly very supportive of improving mass transit in metro Detroit, she should be working with them to build support for funding the newly created regional transit authority, which has the opportunity to be truly impactful and transformative for residents across the city and region.

The same thing goes for her opposition to investment in downtown and "nice neighborhoods." Instead of opposing investment and improvements in every place that it is happening, she should be working with the people who are making it happen and trying to help expand the investment into other areas that need it.

Her "all or nothing" mindset is very counter-productive, and doesn't help anybody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast