Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Federal Judge Shot and Wounded Outside Detroit Home

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/24478069/

While he appears to be a random victim, I'm surprised the judge lives in this area. His job would make him a possible target to criminals with a grudge. Glad he's okay.

Where should the judge live if not in that area? Not sure i'm following your logic. This headline really angered me. Just when you want to be really excited for the city's turnaround, the old Detroit comes screaming back, ready to derail any headlines about what's happening downtown. Depressing.....

I really don't quite know what to think about the wife’s comment...

"He was walking up this path here and someone approached him, and I don't know why," said Berg's wife, Anita Sevier, in an interview with WWJ-AM [[950).

"And I feel badly that somebody felt that they needed to do this. I feel for people that don't have something else to be doing. I'm sorry that this has to happen."

Rose colored glasses or blinders?

Naivety to the max or some kind of bleeding heart world-view?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

"He was walking up this path here and someone approached him, and I don't know why," said Berg's wife, Anita Sevier, in an interview with WWJ-AM [[950).

"And I feel badly that somebody felt that they needed to do this. I feel for people that don't have something else to be doing. I'm sorry that this has to happen."

The article did say they have lived in the neighborhood for a long time and considered it safe. I wonder if they will now move. And while yes even the best neighborhoods in the city are likely to be adjacent to much more crime ridden areas than the most affluent Oakland County suburbs, crime also happens there as well. I remember the recent story of a lawyer who was shot in his Bloomfield Hills home in a botched robbery attempt.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2...-home/25812836

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Where should the judge live if not in that area? Not sure i'm following your logic. This headline really angered me. Just when you want to be really excited for the city's turnaround, the old Detroit comes screaming back, ready to derail any headlines about what's happening downtown. Depressing.....
    Not all of us [[who live in it every day outside of the Gilbert's utopia) ever bought into the crap about old Detroit being dead and the city coming back. The problems still continue for us.

So not really depressing IMO, but things chugging along as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/24478069/

While he appears to be a random victim, I'm surprised the judge lives in this area. His job would make him a possible target to criminals with a grudge. Glad he's okay.
    This type of crime is certainly not confined to Detroit. The scenario might even be more scary out in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not all of us [[who live in it every day outside of the Gilbert's utopia) ever bought into the crap about old Detroit being dead and the city coming back. The problems still continue for us.

I'm pretty well aware that the turnaround is in a select few areas, while other areas continue to suffer from crime, neglect and crushing poverty. I go to the city's website frequently now to look at the crime numbers just to give me the most realistic idea of what is really happening in Detroit.

Let's be very clear: the old Detroit might not die, but the city is still coming back. There are multiple trajectories occuring at once, and occasionally they intersect. This will continue as the network of improved neighborhoods grows but simulataneously brushes up against entrenched violent areas.

The boosters aren't lying when it comes to investment and development, yet if you are incorrectly thinking that they are proclaiming a notable reduction in violent crime across this 138 sq. mile city, navigate your web browser to Crime Mapping. The one exception is Midtown: a notable and documented reduction in violent crime that makes it on par with most desirable central city neighborhoods across America. Elsewhere, though, it's still alarming [[so much violence and gangsterism shunted to the NE side, I've noticed in particular), though we'll probably see continued overall statistical improvement.

Bottom line, remember, we're talking about 138 sq. miles, all which need some sort of improvement, some much more than others.

The biggest problem I have with the whole "Detroit is coming back" mantra is that it's not grounded in reality as far as expectations and how a "come back" should be defined. It reeks of either naivety [[particularly in the case of those think they're going to come here and be miracle workers only to be quickly disappointed and flee) or homerism.

I will acknowledge that there have been some changes for the better in the city as a whole. Detroit is my home and I would love nothing more than to have steps taken towards making it a better place to live/work/visit as a whole.

At the same time, personally, I'm not going to go around claiming I'm "depressed" about crap that's been business as usual in this town for at least the past 30 years, as if all of the problems should disappear and be brushed under the rug overnight because a few companies moved downtown or a few retailers have opened shop.

Furthermore, I'm also not going to claim a entire town is coming back when only a 5 sq. mi. portion of it is seeing any notable improvement [[via. capital investment) while the rest of the city continues to go down the drain. Saying doqntosn Detroit is coming back is one thing, but downtown Detroit doesn't represent all of Detroit aside from only being the center of commerce.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-06-15 at 11:31 AM.

Default Probably bought the house really cheap

First of all, when he first moved there it was probably a reasonable priced value and second, the area was considered "safe".
    That area is somewhat integrated and middle class.
    But I know they're going to find the SOB who did this. You don't do stuff like to a judge and not have the FBI on your case.
    But notice that the judge was shot in the leg -- had he been black, he probably would have been killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    First of all, when he first moved there it was probably a reasonable priced value and second, the area was considered "safe".
    That area is somewhat integrated and middle class.
    But I know they're going to find the SOB who did this. You don't do stuff like to a judge and not have the FBI on your case.
    But notice that the judge was shot in the leg -- had he been black, he probably would have been killed.
    The judge was also probably one of those "I'm going to stick with my city through thick and thin, no matter what" diehard Detroiters.

But of course it only takes one incident like this to convince them to pack it up and move.

I'm pretty well aware that the turnaround is in a select few areas, while other areas continue to suffer from crime, neglect and crushing poverty. I go to the city's website frequently now to look at the crime numbers just to give me the most realistic idea of what is really happening in Detroit.
    I havent been able to locate those crime numbers for weeks. Used to be able to google "detroit police crime statistics" and something would turn up. Hardly ever hear about violent crime in the news anymore either. That neighborhood has some neat homes but its surrounded on the south and east by very poor areas. Maybe the west as well. I dont get over there much. You would think a judge of all people would be conscious of violent crime in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I havent been able to locate those crime numbers for weeks. Used to be able to google "detroit police crime statistics" and something would turn up. Hardly ever hear about violent crime in the news anymore either. That neighborhood has some neat homes but its surrounded on the south and east by very poor areas. Maybe the west as well. I dont get over there much. You would think a judge of all people would be conscious of violent crime in the city.
    https://data.detroitmi.gov/

Again: http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx
    ^You can put date ranges on the map and limit by type of crime, to understand trends. For example, tracking homicides over the last month, there have been 14* and 12 of them occured on the east side, many within a reasonably small swath mostly along and just north of the Ford Expressway.

Rex, I don't anything we've read suggests he wasn't conscious about violent crime, nor would his decision to live in the City be probative of unconsciousness.

*It was a short month, but let's say there are 15 homicides a month for the rest of year: the end result would be a 40% drop compared to last year's relative new-lows. That would be an outstanding trend. Let's wait and see...and pray for a 100% drop in the senselessness.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; March-06-15 at 02:16 PM.

I am often in that neighborhood to visit a friend. My friend, who has lived there for more than two decades, thinks its a very safe neighborhood. I'm sure they'd say that you have to keep your guard up, just like every other neighborhood, everywhere.

Notice that a lawyer and doctor were the judges neighborhood. That's a pretty class act neighborhood, if you ask me.

It's typical case the hood and rob trick. It happens in Ghetto hoods of Detroit. I don't what neighborhood in Detroit you're living in. Whether it's well kept up and patrolled or blighted.

The article did say they have lived in the neighborhood for a long time and considered it safe. I wonder if they will now move. And while yes even the best neighborhoods in the city are likely to be adjacent to much more crime ridden areas than the most affluent Oakland County suburbs, crime also happens there as well. I remember the recent story of a lawyer who was shot in his Bloomfield Hills home in a botched robbery attempt.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2...-home/25812836

That Detroit judge is not going anywhere. He will not give into criminals. He deals with them inside his courthouse.

I'm not sure why it would surprise anybody that Judge Berg lives in the University District, any more than it would surprise anyone that a judge lives in Indian Village or Palmer Woods or any other nice neighborhood in the city [[and several do). From the story, his next door neighbor is the son of a well-known retired judge, and I know of several other lawyers who live in the area. Terrence Berg has lived there for many years while he was a U.S. Attorney, and I believe he grew up on the west side.

Despite this tragic, and potentially even more tragic, incident, everyone I know who lives in that area says that things have improved markedly in terms of crime and quality of life in just the past few years. Some folks I know who were ready to leave just a few years ago ended up staying, and are now very glad they did. One thing that has definitely changed for the better is the nearby commercial strip along the Livernois "Avenue of Fashion."

I hope that Judge Berg recovers quickly, that the suspects are apprehended, and that this does indeed turn out to be an isolated incident.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-06-15 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Why not consider she is an educated woman trying to understand the senceless crime against her husband, who sees such everyday in court. They are a long standing part of a community.She looked like a class act to me under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Again: http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx
    ^You can put date ranges on the map and limit by type of crime, to understand trends. For example, tracking homicides over the last month, there have been 14* and 12 of them occured on the east side, many within a reasonably small swath mostly along and just north of the Ford Expressway.

Rex, I don't anything we've read suggests he wasn't conscious about violent crime, nor would his decision to live in the City be probative of unconsciousness.

*It was a short month, but let's say there are 15 homicides a month for the rest of year: the end result would be a 40% drop compared to last year's relative new-lows. That would be an outstanding trend. Let's wait and see...and pray for a 100% drop in the senselessness.
    It was also a cold month. I shudder to think what summer is going to be like around here.

Default Funny you should mention

The judge was also probably one of those "I'm going to stick with my city through thick and thin, no matter what" diehard Detroiters.

But of course it only takes one incident like this to convince them to pack it up and move.
    When I lived in Detroit, the medical center, my apt was robbed twice and I was assaulted inside once by a neighbor....I got up and moved to Chicago. Haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It was also a cold month. I shudder to think what summer is going to be like around here.
    Why invite trouble cosmically? Aside from downtown/midtown, the bulk of remaining Detroiters are 50 yrs or plus of age. Some captured here and some live here by choice.

The worst I see is some bizzare twist on the movie "The Birds". Pheasants attacking pedetrians trying to get to bus lines that don't show comes to mind.
    Last edited by sumas; March-06-15 at 05:00 PM.

Amen........ Amen.

Sounds like they are a very nice family. I am glad he is not worse off from this awful crime.

The article did say they have lived in the neighborhood for a long time and considered it safe.
    It is pretty safe. It isn't perfectly safe, and sometimes people get robbed or broken into or something happens to a car. It is unusual for someone to be shot, but as is apparent it can happen. My family has lived there for over fifty years and there have been a few issues over that time, but probably less than one per decade, and the neighbors are excellent. By far the most serious incident occured when my dad was robbed at shotgun point on McNichols maybe 20 years ago, but I don't think he considered moving--that isn't the kind of thing that bothers him very much. If it happened all the time, I expect that might be different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast