Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Huge Snafu by State Rep Chang

Got a letter from her office saying our house was going into foreclosure per county records and helpful info to avoid this.

We are 100% current and all I could think of is "oh my Lord", what new government mix up is this.

Went immediately to county web site and we are A OK and current. I called her Lansing office, more than quite annoyed and was told they used the wrong mailing list. Did get an email apology. Lots of people don't have access to internet so I imagine the city and county were flooded with calls.

I understand the mailing was well meant but execution terrible. She and her staffs competence went down several notches in my esteem.

Certainly a well-meaning mistake but inexcusable rookie mistake.

Detroit News is covering it here.

Then the residents called state Rep. Stephanie Chang's office to say they weren't in foreclosure, the Detroit Democrat and her staff quickly realized they had made what Chang called an "unfortunate and horrible error."

"My deepest and sincerest apologies to all those who received erroneous letters," Chang wrote in an email to constituents Tuesday. "I can understand the immense stress this may have caused you and your family. My staff and I will work as diligently as we can to resolve this issue."

In an interview Wednesday, Chang said she and her staff worked off a list of 1,500 properties in the district facing foreclosure that came from the Wayne County treasurer's office. Chang said her office is "re-examining the systems various parties use to cut the list," but did not elaborate on how the error was made.

I know people who got the same erroneous notice, and were momentarily terrified by it.

It seems the first mistake her staff made was to use the often screwed-up Wayne County records. I know and like Stephanie, and she sure seems to be a real up-and-comer and the type of grounded, forward-thinking, and non-cynical public office-holder we really need around here. But she's young, inexperienced, and dealing with a difficult and demanding district with a wide range of problems. I hope this is just a momentary lapse, and that she and her staff use it as a lesson to better get their feet under themselves soon.

This goes solidly into the category of great idea, bad execution.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-06-15 at 04:10 PM.

Brief terror is correct. I knew I was current but as mentioned on previous posts, a neighbors house was listed incorrectly and it took him three weeks of hell to straighten out. The "new" owners were at the door with an eviction notice.

Thank God, they just used a wrong mailing list.

It's kind of you to understand she is young and inexperienced. We know her, but in a distant fashion. She seems earnest, smart and impressive. However she should look at her staff because they can make or break her.

Poor child got an incredidbly gerrymanderd district. I am over my annoyance and wish her all the best. Still missing Rashida though. Amazing woman!

A politician made a mistake? I'm shocked! Shocked!

I agree with sumas and eastsideal. This is simply a rookie mistake, nothing to be taken seriously in the long run. Rep Chang was acting in the public interest and Goshdarnit don't we all hate computers when they foul up?
    At any rate, my blood pressure is back to pretty much normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Still missing Rashida
    The downside of term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    I agree with sumas and eastsideal. This is simply a rookie mistake, nothing to be taken seriously in the long run. Rep Chang was acting in the public interest and Goshdarnit don't we all hate computers when they foul up?
    Except computers don't "foul up", it's the loose nut behind keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Sorry to hear that, sumas. That must have been scary.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The downside of term limits.
    Consider voting for term limits one of my big voting errors. Long since regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Consider voting for term limits one of my big voting errors. Long since regretted it.
    Voters should have the right to elect the same idiots each and every year -- and then the obligation to live with the results of their stupidity. It was a bad idea. It is a bad idea. Like a lot of things, it sounds good -- but its terrible policy.

[[The only office where I agree with the term limit is the Presidency. Being President is not just a representative office, the office holds much defined individual power. Looking around the world, it was not and is not hard to see where Presidents become authoritarian because of the power of the office. Think Putin. On a local level, think KK. Nearly was a dictator. However the damage was limited to just our fine city. We'll suffer because of our actions. A city failing is sad and painful, but the USA will survive. When Presidents become authoritarian, we get rulers who break the law in service of their own noble goals. Think Nixon. [[The cynical among us might also see the authoritarian streak in our current President and his extra-legal Executive Orders where faithfully executive can be stretched.))

I am from the government and I am here to help you...not!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Voters should have the right to elect the same idiots each and every year -- and then the obligation to live with the results of their stupidity. It was a bad idea. It is a bad idea. Like a lot of things, it sounds good -- but its terrible policy.
    Many people got sucked in with the theory of it. However, really doesn't give people a chance to "vote the bums out" and "get rid of the career policiticians" which were the prevelant sentiments at the time they were approved. Term limited politicians just play musical chairs with different political seats, thereby extending their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Many people got sucked in with the theory of it. However, really doesn't give people a chance to "vote the bums out" and "get rid of the career policiticians" which were the prevelant sentiments at the time they were approved. Term limited politicians just play musical chairs with different political seats, thereby extending their careers.
    You hit the nail on the head. The really good ones just get out of the rat race.