City Club Apartment Construction in Detroit
UPBEAT DETROIT PICTURES - WHY NOT? »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    But this particular design inspired general comments from you about today's architecture and tradition, not criticisms specific to this building, and so my response to yours are also not about this particular building.
    Crap is crap is crap. This postmodern amorphism is like the Guy Fieri of architecture. Just like that well-known "celebrity chef" love to throw wasabi on every single one of his lowest-common-denominator dishes, these types of architects will rehash the same God damned idea over and over, regardless of context, use, location, etc. I guess we're supposed to be WOW-ed that we didn't think to design a building that could be sketched by a toddler? I don't know.

There are plenty of architects today who do fantastic work. They just don't get the fame and billionaire commissions that the self-gratifying Postmodernist Sculptors do. I suppose not all of us are talented enough to draw amorphous blobs, and I suppose there's no accounting for taste among the well-heeled.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-05-15 at 04:31 PM.

I'd encourage people to take a look at the video by the architects that was posted above. A lot more detail than just the sort of fuzzy renderings posted in the Free Press. Here's the link again.

- Said it was "greenlit" the week of Feb 11 and that schematic design is starting (did start?) by end of February. Current design represents only the "concept" phase.
    - Idea was to wrap all three museums and a fourth civic building(?) around one another so no individual component takes precedence.
    - Large amphitheater area supposedly completely opens onto Woodward in nice weather.
    - Exterior some sort of ceramic tile with glass connecting the sections. Sounds like only a minimum of the exterior will actually be glass.
    - Large skylight in roof mirrors the glass "cross" (curved swoops in the side walls).

I'd also recommend continuing the video and listening to their through process on the design of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Whatever the merits of this particular design for the Hudson's site I think they sound like the kind of people who at least have the city and its context very much in mind.

Here are some screen captures from the video:

Name:  hudsons8.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  15.1 KBName:  hudsons6.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  24.5 KBName:  hudsons5.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  16.2 KBName:  hudsons4.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  14.2 KBName:  hudsons3.5.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  12.8 KBName:  hudsons3.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  12.7 KBName:  hudsons2.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  16.6 KBName:  hudsons1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  11.2 KB

wow, the link got taken down almost immediately. what i got out of the 2 mins i heard was, 3 museums of which neither takes precedence?

okay so a GM, Ford & Chrysler museum + some performance venue with restaurants and shops below.

and a very shop-esque vertical expansion of the vinton
    http://sma.sciarc.edu/wp-content/upl...-clip_9764.jpg
    ...having looked at this image more, what im seeing is a restoration/modification of the vinton (ie. bigger windows) and a new vertical expansion. thats very very interesting. considering the restoration came to a pause in 2010.

so this hudson's project has a much larger scope that goes beyond the immediate site...just spitballing though
    Last edited by hybridy; March-05-15 at 05:24 PM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  41.2 KB

Official rendering from bedrock. On my phone so can link. Bedrock released this since there was so much media attention to this. They said this is an updated rendering and not final yet
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; March-05-15 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

okay so a GM, Ford & Chrysler museum + some performance venue with restaurants and shops below. throw some housing on top and that's the program folks.
    Cullen said the museum idea has been scrapped in one of this morning's articles. He said they're thinking residential instead.

I think the "car museum", if it happens, will be in either the State Savings Bank building or in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  41.2 KB

Official rendering from bedrock. On my phone so can link. Bedrock released this since there was so much media attention to this. They said this is an updated rendering and not final yet
    All other considerations aside, I actually really like how that addresses Woodward with a big glass area (presumably for retail?). It's not the traditional storefronts-in-a-line, but I think it could work. Certainly not fortress-like.

so bedrock made sci-arc take down the video link cause of all the architecture buffs on this board...LOL

http://sma.sciarc.edu/subclip/gregg-...ont-clip_9765/

...having looked at this image more, what im seeing is a restoration/modification of the vinton (ie. bigger windows) and a new vertical expansion. thats very very interesting. considering the restoration came to a pause in 2010.
    Interesting find! I don't know why they would do that, though. Renovate the beautiful Vinton Building and keep its exterior in tact, then build the other units somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Cullen said the museum idea has been scrapped in one of this morning's articles. He said they're thinking residential instead.

I think the "car museum", if it happens, will be in either the State Savings Bank building or in Midtown.
    nobody, would ever invest that kind of money to structure a residential building to look that way. the site demands much higher usage. hard disagree with you on that.

my guess is gilbert is tossing around the idea of vertically expanding the 600 block of woodward and adding housing above. it gets his employees across the street from the office

so bedrock made sci-arc take down the video link cause of all the architecture buffs on this board...LOL

http://sma.sciarc.edu/subclip/gregg-...ont-clip_9765/
    In line with Gilbert's style, this project was supposed to be *secret* until the very last moment. But the way the architect was talking about the design at that lecture didn't fool anyone who was familiar with what Gilbert was doing.

They should have left the videos up, honestly. Now that guys whole lecture can't be viewed just because 10 minutes he spent talking about Gilbert's plans.

That's not the Vinton.

http://www.shoparc.com/project/The-Porter-House

This design is garbage. Want to toss the imposing street wall of Woodward for some jukebox-looking monstrosity? I'm hardly surprised. More "magazine architecture" designed to disrupt the structure of a city instead of complement it. Make a statement.

Don't kid yourselves. Architects think you're rubes and want to sell you what they all really know is the architectural equivalent of a loud, long, wet fart.

The amazing thing is that you'll gladly subsidize it. Because development at all and any costs!

so this hudson's project has a much larger scope that goes beyond the immediate site...just spitballing though
    the building you are looking at is NOT the vinton building. it is one with a similar look and is one of shop's projects in nyc.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Oops. I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    are you being serious or is that some sort of joke? it was a B-25 that hit the Empire State... that wouldn't have brought down the WTC either.
    I never joke about the loss of life especially what had happened on 911. B52s were much heavier than the planes that hit the wtc. WTC were considered state of the art buildings at the time and said to say the each tower was hit by an airplane and each had collapsed due to the air;ane fuel. The Empire State Buiilding a traditional building had fuel running down it's shaft after the B52 had rammed into it but minimal loss of life eventhough one life loss is great. These things have to be taken into account when building modern skyscrapers. That is all I was saying

hmmm if that release from bedrock is true... would love to see more of it. i actually prefer this one from Hamilton-Anderson( the company that is supposed to be working hand-in-hand with SHoP architects for the project). here is the link to the renderings. you can have your museum space, your outdoor/community/social space, your big anchor retail space on the corners of the structure as well as other retail incorporated on the inside somehow from the outside, residential space in the building, and your "iconic" architecture all in one...with green space at the top of the building perfect for viewing fireworks . my vote is for this one. this is TRULY mixed-use at its finest.

http://www.hamilton-anderson.com/urban-reslilence.html

maybe i am a late-bloomer on these here renderings i am posting, but i haven't seen any of these posted anywhere. like i said, i love this option better.

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 454
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 477
Size:  35.8 KB

and i will add that i REALLY, REALLY hope they don't incorporate an amphitheater on that site. That would really suck for the people who live in the apartments across the street... especially those who work midnights and sleep during the day when all of that amphitheater action would be going on. (i m sensitive to midnight-shift workers. im a former midnight-shift RN converted to day-shift)

--ps-- Yeah, its a "big glass block" but its time to get with the times, people!!! thats one of the MAIN problems people in this city have; being stuck in "the times". its not like brick/stone will be forever forgotten once the first modern glass structure pops up! sheesh. and as far as a safety measure, if someone really wanted to take down a building regardless of how, they would no matter what. so you're not really safe from anything whether its a tall structure or small structure. stop trying to micro-manage what positive things people are trying to do for this city. hell, if someone wanted to build an "iconic" building made of swarovski crystal in the middle of Eastern Market (god forbid, lol), let them do it! that's how you create character and get positive attention and create individualism!...and actually get people from other cities and other countries to recognize things about your city! its better than being known for all of the violence here and how we don't know how to act whenever one of our sports teams wins a damn championship (which is probably why the refs always screw us over because they know we are heathens when our teams win). there cant be a city full of albert khans, people. this is easily something you would see in new york or LA...perhaps chicago. its time for DETROIT to step up to the plate to let everyone know we're here! **RANT OVER. lol.
    Last edited by Jayp213; March-05-15 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I never joke about the loss of life especially what had happened on 911. B52s were much heavier than the planes that hit the wtc. WTC were considered state of the art buildings at the time and said to say the each tower was hit by an airplane and each had collapsed due to the air;ane fuel. The Empire State Buiilding a traditional building had fuel running down it's shaft after the B52 had rammed into it but minimal loss of life eventhough one life loss is great. These things have to be taken into account when building modern skyscrapers. That is all I was saying

Actually, no, they don't. Just as you wouldn't design a building to a resist a tornado...you're talking about an *extremely rare* event. I don't know of any provisions in the building codes to address an airplane impacting a structure. The WTC collapse wasn't a building code problem anyway--the two towers fell exactly as they were designed to do, that is to say, without toppling over.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    1) The plane that hit the ESB was a B-25. Which are way smaller.
    2) WTC was built with plane impacts in mind, but not fully fueled cross-country flights that had just left nearby airports and were intentionally flown into the buildings.
    3) The design of WTC is more or less specific to WTC. Not every modern skyscraper was built the same exact way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp213 View Post
    i actually prefer this one from Hamilton-Anderson( the company that is supposed to be working hand-in-hand with SHoP architects for the project). here is the link to the renderings. you can have your museum space, your outdoor/community/social space, your big anchor retail space on the corners of the structure as well as other retail incorporated on the inside somehow from the outside, residential space in the building, and your "iconic" architecture all in one...with green space at the top of the building perfect for viewing fireworks . my vote is for this one. this is TRULY mixed-use at its finest.

http://www.hamilton-anderson.com/urban-reslilence.html
    I won't get into discussing how utterly incomprehensible this building is, but it's a blatant ripoff of the CCTV Building in Beijing by Rem Koolhaas.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I won't get into discussing how utterly incomprehensible this building is, but it's a blatant ripoff of the CCTV Building in Beijing by Rem Koolhaas.
    You're right. It probably would cost a CRAP ton of money to build, also. Pipe dreams who knows maybe we can see something like this somewhere else in the city. Maybe more realistic but even so.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Crap is crap is crap. This postmodern amorphism is like the Guy Fieri of architecture. Just like that well-known "celebrity chef" love to throw wasabi on every single one of his lowest-common-denominator dishes, these types of architects will rehash the same God damned idea over and over, regardless of context, use, location, etc. I guess we're supposed to be WOW-ed that we didn't think to design a building that could be sketched by a toddler? I don't know.

There are plenty of architects today who do fantastic work. They just don't get the fame and billionaire commissions that the self-gratifying Postmodernist Sculptors do. I suppose not all of us are talented enough to draw amorphous blobs, and I suppose there's no accounting for taste among the well-heeled.

I think large international airports and some transit hubs are in a category of design that makes them more successful at integrating massive sculptural forms that don't interrupt the architectural function of a building. The Liège-Guillemins Central train station by Santiago Calatrava is a prime example of fabulous sculptural quality expressing all that is possible to build in our time without resorting to the gimmicky self-anointing stuff that the Gehrys etc... create.

I don't like the interior evocations of the Sci-Arc thing and I can't really suss much of what happens with this building, what it is supposed to do.
    Last edited by canuck; March-05-15 at 08:24 PM.

Zaha Hadid, the London based Iranian architect has designed some pretty good buildings I haven't experience in situ but they are highly idiosyncratic. She did one in Michigan at MSU called the Eli and Edythe Broad Museum. It is hard to give an opinion on a buiding like that without experiencing it the way it is meant to be.

Hadid is hit or miss but some of her buildings are amazing as will be the new Beijing Airport terminal which is in the same vein as the Liège train station. Likewise the Zagreb airport.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Zaha Hadid, the London based Iranian architect has designed some pretty good buildings I haven't experience in situ but they are highly idiosyncratic. She did one in Michigan at MSU called the Eli and Edythe Broad Museum. It is hard to give an opinion on a buiding like that without experiencing it the way it is meant to be.

Hadid is hit or miss but some of her buildings are amazing as will be the new Beijing Airport terminal which is in the same vein as the Liège train station. Likewise the Zagreb airport.
    Shes also building a pretty huge residential building in downtown Miami to add to the skyline.

That glass building looks ugly! I was expecting a glass tower of babel structure that rival the Ren Cen.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast