Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default USA Grown Dried Lavender in BULK - Online Seller?

The one supplier I used to order it from no longer carries dried Lavender in bulk. I have a friend who is convalescing from a surgery, and Lavender is a great aroma therapy for those who are bed-ridden or for general relaxation.

I make my own Lavender pillows and sachets and need to find a non 'China' source. Sure, you find dried Lavender on eBay, but almost all from China. I'm not interested in adulterated chemical laden crap, sprayed with fake Lavender scent.

Any ideas for an online source? THANKS... and of course THINK SPRING
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-05-15 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The one supplier I used to order it from no longer carries dried Lavender in bulk. I have a friend who is convalescing from a surgery, and Lavender is a great aroma therapy for those who are bed-ridden or for general relaxation.

I make my own Lavender pillows and sachets and need to find a non 'China' source. Sure, you find dried Lavender on eBay, but almost all from China. I'm not interested in adulterated chemical laden crap, sprayed with fake Lavender scent.

No idea for an online source but I would contact local large and small nuseries that sell perennials. Lavendar gets hard pruned in early spring. The clippings are naturally dried and very fragrant. Bet you could get bundles for pennies for something they just throw away.

Think local. THINK SPRING

Anything flowers or herbs gets my blood pumping. Was a trained florist and had my own small landscape co for years. Alas life obligations ended all that. Think of your self too, make yourself an indoor planter with fragrant herbs, in door or out I have always had a "petting" garden somewhere. Planter herbs that work [[dwarf) are munstead lavendar, rosemary, lemon thyme, basil which comes in many scents, curry plant, cooking french thyme are a few. Wake up, make a cup of tea or coffee and run your hand over the plants. Makes you happy for the rest of the day!

This place is heaven on Earth for lavender lovers. Worth the drive for the experience alone. After the snow melts...I have no idea what they do off-season, or if they sell out their entire inventory every year, but this is the most local quality source I've aware of.

http://www.lavenderhillmichigan.com/

Bring a group, then take half the day to zipline at this joint nearby...

http://wildwoodrush.com/

Awesome leads guys... THANK YOU! I have a sunny porch area to at least consider some potted cooking and aromatherapy herbs myself. And fo' sho' I'm ready for a day trip to Lavender Hills Michi!

Will call them in a bit to see if they ship. Found out that Whole Foods has it but out at stock both stores I checked. Bad time of year for inventories, for sure.

We've got 5 lavender plants in our courtyards here that do quite nicely. My wife makes scads of lavender wands and sachets each year for friends and relatives.

Here's a few NM places if you feel the need for a road trip [[or just to order).
    http://www.lospoblanos.com/lavender-...lavender-farm/
    http://www.enchantedlavender.com/
    http://www.frolickingdeer.com/
    http://purpleadobelavenderfarm.com/

The first we visited NM we drove from Michigan. We bought a couple of real chile ristras to bring home. Our car smelled like chiles for a month after we got back. Imagine if that had been lavender.

Awesome! Thank you........ I think I will tackle growing some this year. I think my half green thumb can handle it!

Awesome! Thank you........ I think I will tackle growing some this year. I think my half green thumb can handle it!
    I buy my plants [[herbs)from Kaltz Farms @ Eastern Market. Have for 25 years or more. mix and match trays 18 for $20. They also have big established individual plants too.

My husband wanted to buy "drinkable" infused vinegar from a place in Fernadale. They get their herbs from Kaltz. Sounds barfy to me, he ordered a cherry [[MI) and some other flavor. Name evades me. They do tastings on Sundays.
    Last edited by sumas; March-06-15 at 05:58 AM.

I am up for the ride if somebody else is driving.

And do not mind the occasional cigarette break. I have two sisters in the Rockford area that might put us for the night to forestall the long drive home. Dentist husband of one may even repair teeth at cost. I will ask.
    Last edited by ronaldj; March-12-15 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling/typing error

And do not mind the occasionl cigarette break. I have two sisters in the Rockford area that might put us for the night to forestall the long drive home. Dentist husband of one may even repair teeth at cost/ I will ask.

I am in a posting mood. Sumas refers to "Old Timey McClary Bros Drinking Vinegar". Not yuch. Mixed with cranbery juice and Canada Dry ginger ale, allows for a most potabelpre-prandial non-alcoholic cocktail which preserves what is left of my pancreas and pickled kidneys and liver.

I allow to being a bit of a snob in cerain areas of food, drink and dress. McClary Bros. Drinking Vinegars are produced in Ferndale. I bought Mchigan Cherry[[New) and beet/Carrot flavors without tasting beforehand. I was not disappointed. Jeff, the sales manger there, tells me that sample packs will probably be available toward the end of this year. Do not hold him or me to the time table. Go on the weekend for their tasting hours.

Shrubs were a favorite beverage during American Revoutionary times. As well as cane sugar based rum. They should co-opt the "REVOLUTIONARY" slogan.

Will try the Michigan Cherry in a reduction for pork chops or loin roast. Any hints will be appreciated.

LordandLadyLavender.com Are pals of mine from California. Good musicians and doing serious lavender growing. Their website doesn't mention bulk, but make inquiries and mention Barb Scott sent you.

Thanks for the wealth of info everyone! Contacting LLL.com asap. And I am going very soon [[Kaltz)! Growing some cooking herbs and lavender on my porch this year or else.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I buy my plants [[herbs)from Kaltz Farms @ Eastern Market. Have for 25 years or more. mix and match trays 18 for $20. They also have big established individual plants too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    LordandLadyLavender.com Are pals of mine from California. Good musicians and doing serious lavender growing. Their website doesn't mention bulk, but make inquiries and mention Barb Scott sent you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-24-15 at 04:54 AM.

Life is amusing, now I am talking to my husband on line. We have excellent personnal communication skills but always a little surprised to see his posts on line.

Herbs are great fun. Sweet woodruff makes a great May wine. Clip in May in bloom, freeze in icecube trays, add a little rhine wine and enjoy.

Sold herbs in open air markets for years as a jobber, the recipes stashed from customers are priceless. Hard pressed to choose my favorite herb but Rosemary is at the top , like thyme, parsley, sage [[sounding like a song) pepper anything, garlic, lemon thyme, pineapple sage [[makes great tea) and cocktails. Love to cook and only thing I don't like are the mints.