Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Corktown Inn reinvents itself as the Corktown Hotel, hopes to clean up its act

"The old Corktown Inn is cleaning up its act. Though stingy with the details, an unnamed ownership group that purchased the inn in October 2014 is committed to a complete overhaul of the hotel, according to newly-hired director of sales Suzette Daye. In what's now re-branded as the Corktown Hotel, the 144 rooms could begin to see major renovations within months.

A local design firm is handling the room renovations, though Daye wouldn't say which one. Local artisans, including the Nordin brothers, will provide much of the décor for each room. Daye says that the Corktown will be a boutique hotel, meaning that each floor and even each room could be different from one another. Three concept rooms are currently available to rent.

In addition to re-designing the rooms, Daye says that a number of other improvements are planned for the site. New landscaping will better expose the hotel to the street. An old restaurant space will be revived. Workout facilities will be added. A courtyard will be spruced up and there's also mention of a green roof.

For all of the improvements and additional amenities planned for the hotel, perhaps what's most notable, at least presently, are the subtractions. Gone is the cigarette smoking. So, too, is the infamous vending machine containing lighters, condoms, and women's underwear. Room rentals in three-hour blocks have also been eliminated. Even the old security dummy has been retired."

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/Corkt...townHotel.aspx

I always found the three hour room rentals intimidating. Never needed more than 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I always found the three hour room rentals intimidating. Never needed more than 30 minutes.
    30 minutes? That's an eternity!

Originally a Holiday Inn...Geneva Carr was once the GM

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    "The old Corktown Inn is cleaning up its act. Though stingy with the details, an unnamed ownership group that purchased the inn in October 2014 is committed to a complete overhaul of the hotel, according to newly-hired director of sales Suzette Daye. In what's now re-branded as the Corktown Hotel, the 144 rooms could begin to see major renovations within months.

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/Corkt...townHotel.aspx

Glad to know, I just booked a room for August.

I liked this report of a night at the scenic Corktown Inn:
    http://murdermotels.com/corktown-inn-detroit-mich/
    [[linked from the report on that vending machine)

But now, alas, I guess the fun is over...

Still missing the days [[and nights) of the old Thunderbird Motel. Now that was a fun spot. And so close to the post office too!

I always appreciated what management would do if asked. My late father often stayed there when visiting from the UP. They always remembered him, always set him up in a quiet corner on ground level where he could smoke without a lot of grief. He enjoyed bs sessions with the owner. Fond, if bittersweet memories.

I wouldn't mind staying there myself once they get it cleaned up.
    Hopefully they'll set up a website.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Wow. That's uh... pretty different from where they started. Nice work. Wish there were some more exterior shots.

Beautiful. And with any hotel/motel...maintaining cleanliness goes a long way. Nothing worse than having nice furnishings and finding hair in your bathtub. Here's hoping they hire great housekeeping staff.