Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Downton Abbey

Default Downton Abbey

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have followed "Downton Abby" on PBS? Season five ended yesterday, with a lot of loose ends wrapped up. There will be a sixth [[and likely, final) season starting in January.

Downton Abbey is set in the early 20th century in an aristrocratic family line. It's basically an Edwardian Soap Opera, but the acting [[I think) is superb, the period costumes are perfect, and the settings are awesome.

The acting is superb as you say; the costumes are perfect and the settings awesome. My wife and I have been ardent fans from the beginning. Because it's not made in Hollywood it's "real" and not plastic and doesn't depend on "stars" or sex, or expletives, or violence, or politics and you can hear what they say. Top class entertainment about "real" people by real people.

I love it!!! I didn't hear anything about the 6th season being the last. I hope that's not the case. One of the best shows on tv. My son also has me hooked on Better Call Saul too!

I marathon watched the whole series last year. I think it's becoming less interesting as it goes on. I really don't care who Lady Mary sleeps with at this point. She's my least favorite character.
    I would only watch season 6 to see the butler and the housekeeper get married.

Well acted and directed, and beautifully shot, but I find that the plot lines are a bit weak.

Some plots drag on and on. Some blip in and out of existence, not really adding anything. The worst is when a long-running story arc is resolved with just couple minutes of exposition.

I think it's a common problem with long-running period pieces like this - things just weren't that exciting back then. They try to spice things up with lots of different characters doing lots of different things, instead of keeping the focus on one or two more fleshed-out stories, which I'd prefer.

The best character on the show is that seedy footman. He's more interesting than half the rest of the cast. I'd watch a spin-off show where he's paid to get into other manor houses to sabotage everything.

Its filmed in the UK and released over there in the early Fall I believe. I watched season five months ago streaming it.

Carson and Bates are my favorites. The footman is wonderful to hate but I want to know more about his past.