Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gilbert Brings Another 80 Jobs Downtown and ......

Gas Station TV HQ moving downtown from Birmingham and a Hudson Site announcement coming in the next FEW months. Dibs on November 6th.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bert/24158393/

Dibs on March 2017

Another announcement coming of a plan for the Hudson site? Yawn! How many times has this been heard before? I'll believe it when I see construction equipment on the site.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; March-01-15 at 10:13 AM.

"As far as further real estate moves in Detroit, Gilbert said, "I think new construction is sort of the next big thing, not just with us and in downtown, but along the whole M-1 Rail line" though Midtown to the New Center area."

This prediction may not sound profound, but I think it is if one looks back only a few years in time. Folks might have predicted some new construction here and there but not anything profound.

I think too many folks, mostly critics, have concentrated almost solely on ridership numbers for M-1 rail.

In many respects that is thinking 'small', i.e., the purpose of this type of project is solely utilitarian, i.e., to move persons from point A to some other point [[B, C, D...)

If the M-1 rail excites builders, like Gilbert, to go 'all in' toward development/redevelopment along that line its value transcends ridership.

What is key and I didn't bold it but were the words: "new construction" and "along the whole M-1 rail line."

Gilbert is flat out predicting that M-1 will spur significant new constructions in areas ripe for new construction [[say downtown) and in areas less ripe [[say New Center) for new construction.

Kind of hard to bet against Gilbert. He has been golden in his acumen. If he says there will be a 'land rush' for buildable land between the Fisher and say 94, I'd bet on it.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-01-15 at 09:36 AM.

M1 rail will likely spur much development, that is correct. However, it will do little to remedy the lack of efficient public transit. The streetcar will mostly function as a shuttle for choice riders. It will slightly improve the impression on outsiders of our transportation system, but barely. It will do little to nothing to improve the everyday lives of the vast majority of transit riders in the city. Nor will it make visiting Detroit easier-- still no airport connection!!

The alternative here, of course, would be a massive investment into transit infrastructure. This, though, is out of the question [[at least for the foreseeable future). There is no political will to invest heavily in new infrastructure, on the local, regional, state or federal levels, and especially not for a shrinking city like Detroit. There is intense competition by other cities with far better transit systems and governance for a very small pot of money, relative to what needs to be done.

Only a sea change in public policy on the national level will change this reality. So M1 really is the best thing we have right now. And perhaps, maybe an extension or two, some new/improved bus service and, maybe, just maybe, the painfully outdated commuter rail [[literally using 1950s rolling stock) to Ann Arbor that will open by 2020, if we are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The alternative here, of course, would be a massive investment into transit infrastructure. This, though, is out of the question [[at least for the foreseeable future). There is no political will to invest heavily in new infrastructure, on the local, regional, state or federal levels, and especially not for a shrinking city like Detroit. There is intense competition by other cities with far better transit systems and governance for a very small pot of money, relative to what needs to be done.

Only a sea change in public policy on the national level will change this reality. So M1 really is the best thing we have right now. And perhaps, maybe an extension or two, some new/improved bus service and, maybe, just maybe, the painfully outdated commuter rail [[literally using 1950s rolling stock) to Ann Arbor that will open by 2020, if we are lucky.
    Sadly that's the truth and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just look at the new bridge to Canada for example. Even the "pro-Detroit" Obama administration was not willing to help pay for a customs plaza[[at the busiest international border crossing in NA), after Canada agreed to fund the entire project. This country has become an embarrassment when it comes to investing in infrastructure.
    Last edited by davep; March-01-15 at 06:12 PM.

M1 rail will likely spur much development, that is correct.-- still no airport connection!!

100% correct...the development will come. As for national transportation infrastructure updates/improvements wont see much until the political climate changes in DC and Lansing. And the current controlling legislative party in both capital cities wont face reality if it slapped them.

M1 rail will likely spur much development, that is correct. However, it will do little to remedy the lack of efficient public transit. The streetcar will mostly function as a shuttle for choice riders. It will slightly improve the impression on outsiders of our transportation system, but barely. It will do little to nothing to improve the everyday lives of the vast majority of transit riders in the city. Nor will it make visiting Detroit easier-- still no airport connection!! ...
    I agree with your statement but then again a 3.1 mile line, by definition, must be limited in scope.

So by that definition if it shuttles people along that line, encourages major new development, etc. it will have met those objectives.

I ultimately see more new housing units in Midtown than downtown with the M-1 rail making it convenient for folks to live say 1 or 2 miles from where they work [[downtown).
    Last edited by emu steve; March-02-15 at 02:14 AM.

Hopefully things work out really well within the 3.1 mile stretch and the logical conclusion will be to expand it. Imagine communities fighting to get this line extended up to them.

I know it's a long way away, but change has been happening much faster than I predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Hopefully things work out really well within the 3.1 mile stretch and the logical conclusion will be to expand it. Imagine communities fighting to get this line extended up to them.

I know it's a long way away, but change has been happening much faster than I predicted.
    Agree.

Although some here disagree, I see M-1 as an effort, along with the new arena, to help solidify the [[extended) downtown core for 3 miles.

As was posted in another thread, it is not uncommon to have an adjacent area to the downtown be part of the downtown core. The example given was Pittsburgh-Oakland, extended downtown.

Detroit is fortunate to have the type of downtown/extended core with commercial areas, sports and entertainment venues, hospitals and medical facilities, and a very large urban university.

I see it as essentially in-fill development. The arena is 'in-fill' that will eat up a few blocks of Woodward frontage which is barren today.

The Gilbert plan for new housing on Woodward just north of the arena is more in-fill.

The plan for housing at Woodward/MLKjr is more in-fill.

By time M-1 and the arena are both open for business, I suspect there will have been a min-land rush for developable land between the Fisher and 94.

That's how I seen the downtown core of Detroit 2.0.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-02-15 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    By time M-1 and the arena are both open for business, I suspect there will have been a min-land rush for developable land between the Fisher and 94.
    It would be great if they built something big between Fisher and 94, like the HarborCenter in Buffalo. In the renders they have a hotel over there, but it doesn't look that tall. I'm hoping for something at least 30 stories high, it's about time we got a new skyscraper in Detroit.
    Last edited by davep; March-02-15 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    It would be great if they built something big between Fisher and 94, like the HarborCenter in Buffalo. In the renders they have a hotel over there, but it doesn't look that tall. I'm hoping for something at least 30 stories high, it's about time we got a new skyscraper in Detroit.
    I think we will get additional height in Midtown eventually, but probably not until next decade. My guess is that it will happen in places that are currently parking lots between MLK and Warren, west of Woodward. My guess is that Brush Park and Cass Park will be townhomes and smaller apartment buildings, and that Woodward-fronting real estate will be completely built-out by 2020.

I also think New Center will get additional height, especially if the MiTrain service and Woodward BRT get off the ground. If those two projects come to fruition, New Center will be the region's transit hub [[go from Ann Arbor to Birmingham with one transfer!). If New Center does become a hot place to build tall buildings, I think the City should consider a zoning rule restricting buildings in a certain radius of the Fisher Building to a height below the Fisher. Still allow plenty of height, ensure that surface lots are filled, and keep the Fisher as the main building in the New Center skyline. Now, we're a long way from that happening, but it seems possible, which wasn't true even five years ago.

GSTV only has a few jobs posted on their website. Hopefully more to come soon.

I don't see Gas Station TV being a growth business...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    I don't see Gas Station TV being a growth business...
    it, most assuredly, is not a growth business. One would be most foolish to depend on gas Station TV to be of any consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    it, most assuredly, is not a growth business. One would be most foolish to depend on gas Station TV to be of any consequence.
    They must have had some heavy angel capital to buy a good-sized street level office in Birmingham, right on the main strip. Then the retrofit costs for all the pumps, a content distribution network, specialized LCDs that work in the cold... The whole idea is insane. Sunoco tried almost the same thing a decade ago and it failed miserably [[remember talking pump handles?)

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    They must have had some heavy angel capital to buy a good-sized street level office in Birmingham, right on the main strip. Then the retrofit costs for all the pumps, a content distribution network, specialized LCDs that work in the cold... The whole idea is insane. Sunoco tried almost the same thing a decade ago and it failed miserably [[remember talking pump handles?)
    I'm not sure it's "insane." Every time I've seen it, it works pretty well and provides entertainment while the gas is pumping. So clearly they have the technology figured out. They have some sort of contract with ESPN to do sports updates and HLN to do news updates.

But here's why the business model really works - around 80% of the content is advertising to a captive audience. So long as the technology doesn't require constant maintenance by GSTV personnel, all they have to do is install it and then collect advertising revenue.

I agree that it's not going to grow into a giant business, but I'd rather have it based here than in California or something, and if they're going to be in Metro Detroit, it's great to have them downtown!

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    But here's why the business model really works - around 80% of the content is advertising to a captive audience.
    The problem with that is, everyone I see standing in front of one of those video pumps is looking at their smartphone.

Who knows where it could lead? Its not like a company working on new ways to take advertising Hi-Tech is a bad thing. The Google boys didn't even know how to get revenue when they started, the whole after thought on 'we will charge for each click on an ad' thing built them into a 390B company. The point is, advertising is big and always a changing market.

Gilbert has the right idea. It's a numbers game, get a hundred new start ups and maybe one or two will be lightning in a bottle. Keeping them all close together physically only spurs more creativity and competition.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The problem with that is, everyone I see standing in front of one of those video pumps is looking at their smartphone.
    i tend to ignore them and cant recall the last time i actually looked up at one when pumping gas, but i know the gstv "jingle." you can ignore them if you want but unless you are wearing noise canceling headphones something is going to reach you.

Crain's reporting this AM that the prestigious west Michigan law firm of Varnum LLP is opening a new office in the financial district, rendering 100% full the former Federal Reserve building.

The firm has a "metro Detroit" office in Novi so it will be interesting to see whether this is a wholesale relocation of that office, and whether it is or is not, how many employees it puts downtown.

Hopefully more Oakland County based firms follow suit, including a handful of national law firms that have "metro Detroit" offices outside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Crain's reporting this AM that the prestigious west Michigan law firm of Varnum LLP is opening a new office in the financial district, rendering 100% full the former Federal Reserve building.

The firm has a "metro Detroit" office in Novi so it will be interesting to see whether this is a wholesale relocation of that office, and whether it is or is not, how many employees it puts downtown.

Hopefully more Oakland County based firms follow suit, including a handful of national law firms that have "metro Detroit" offices outside the city.
    It's not replacing the Novi office, but some attorneys that were formerly based in Novi will be moving downtown. I've heard that some of their attorneys that live in the Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area were bitching about commuting to Novi and asked for a Downtown office that would be an easier commute and closer to the courts in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    It's not replacing the Novi office, but some attorneys that were formerly based in Novi will be moving downtown. I've heard that some of their attorneys that live in the Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area were bitching about commuting to Novi and asked for a Downtown office that would be an easier commute and closer to the courts in Detroit.
    The commute between

brimingham -> novi
    birmingham -> downtown

is basically about the same. I'm not sure if I buy that reason.

The closer to the courts is something that probably makes sense. Although if that was the case why not move the whole office? And bring Plunkett Cooney's main office to downtown while you're at it
    Last edited by gameguy56; March-04-15 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    The commute between

brimingham -> novi
    birmingham -> downtown

is basically about the same. I'm not sure if I buy that reason.

The closer to the courts is something that probably makes sense. Although if that was the case why not move the whole office? And bring Plunkett Cooney's main office to downtown while you're at it
    Plunkett and Clooney was down here, but left years ago, they ae not coming back

Plunkett and Clooney still has an office in the Buhl Building, thought I would not doubt that the majority of their attorneys are in Bloomfield Hills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast