Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Trumbull Station

Pictured below is the Trumbull street DPD station which was built in 1900. On the southeast corner of Michigan and Trumbull. It served as the Second Precinct station until mid-1930 when it was demolished to make way for the widening of Michigan Avenue. Second photo shows the removal process. When the building was removed, the second precinct moved temporarily into a warehouse at National [[now Cochrane) and Pine. Temporary proved to be ten years until the new second precinct station at 2801 W. Vernor [[at 20th) was opened in 1947. It, in turn, was closed during the reconfiguration of the DPD in the 90s.

Ooops, photos were flopped. No big thing.

They certainly knew how to build them. You do not see such pretty hoosegows anymore.

Man, Detroit from that era was like another universe. It's like a whole separate city that no one will ever believe existed.

What a beautiful building. It looks like a sort of miniature version of the Louis Kamper-designed old 8th Precinct building still standing a little ways up the street on Grand River near Trumbull. In the bottom picture I also love the little piece you can see of the old board-and-batten St. Peter's church.

Interestingly, a search through the Burton Historical pictures reveal that there was another, also rather handsome, station at Michigan and Trumbull before the one posted above. Here is a picture from the DPL site, with a number of Detroit's finest lined up in front of the station on Trumbull.

Link to enlarge [[click to enlarge further): http://digitalcollections.detroitpub...eam/IMAGE/view

After I enlarged the photo, I could see some quite interesting detail. Ray, I believe this may be a little before your days on the force, but I'm wondering if you or your fellow officers sported any such interesting hirsute adornments as you see on these gentlemen?

Name:  trumbull station 1890s detail.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  34.9 KB

And it looks like they were having bring your kid to work day too...

Great photos, Al! No, not many of my colleagues from my time had facial hair to any extreme, although in the 70s the hair styles sure made it tough to put a uniform hat on properly.

Interesingly, facial hair on men [[hopefully not on women) seems to be making a comeback lately. Nearly all commercials on TV show guys with at least a six or seven day growth of beard on them. But I divert.

I LOVE these really old photos!
    So I'm guessing this was kitty-corner from the Navin Field [[Tiger Stadium) location.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
    I LOVE these really old photos!
    So I'm guessing this was kitty-corner from the Navin Field [[Tiger Stadium) location.
    Right on, LiveWire.

Somewhere out there I have seen a picture of this station with Bennett Park [[the precursor to Navin Field) in the background. Wish I could find that one again.

An article from the August 27, 1899 issue of the Detroit Free Press naming Alexander Chapoton contractor by architects Joy & Barcroft of the station.

You may have to download and enlarge the post to read it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-09-15 at 09:42 PM.

Very cool p69rrh51. Thanks.
    Oh to be able to build a two-story residence for a couple thousand. :/

Great clip. Thanks for posting!