Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where are the old streetlights going

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, occasional poster. I was driving through the city yesterday, and took a close look at the current streetlight upgrade happening. I am amazed at how fast this upgrade is happening. That being said, some of those old streetlights had been up for a looong time. They had some really cool designs. I hate to see them go in the scrap pile. Does anybody know what happens to them? Is there a yard somewhere that they are dumped/stored at? I called the public lighting commission, and got nowhere. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by a100driver View Post
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, occasional poster. I was driving through the city yesterday, and took a close look at the current streetlight upgrade happening. I am amazed at how fast this upgrade is happening. That being said, some of those old streetlights had been up for a looong time. They had some really cool designs. I hate to see them go in the scrap pile. Does anybody know what happens to them? Is there a yard somewhere that they are dumped/stored at? I called the public lighting commission, and got nowhere. Any ideas?
    Try a scrapyard or a large antique store.

The new lights are awesome. They shut off when cars drive by at night.

The city lighting dept. people used to cut them into 4' sections with a cutting torch when I worked at Grand River/Fenkell in the late 90s. No care for them at all, just make them easier to handle.