Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit News article: "Detroit Athletic Club leaves Fieger out in cold".

In this article, Geoffrey Fieger cites the clubs, "history of racism, sexism, and anti-Semitism". Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would he even entertain the thought of joining this club? Any ideas?

Detroit News Article >>

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    why would he even entertain the thought of joining this club? Any ideas?

Because Geoff has a huge ego. He thinks he is "the man".

And if the DAC has a history of racism and anti-Semitism, why were my family and I accepted? Our club is probably the most diverse of all private institutions in the state.

Once again Geoff's mouth is his downfall. I certainly did not support his bid for membership.

Mr. Feiger deserves a lot of respect for his successful legal career, his tackling of civil rights cases and speaking truth to power concerning a number of political issues. He's a talented and formidable person. That said, it's too bad that he can't just accept that this DAC membership snub is simply a cost to him for doing business his way. There's no anti-Semitism going on here. He's been an asshole to lots of people around town, including plenty of DAC members. They are entitled to decide that they don't want him as a fellow member. He should own that and accept that and admit that it's a price paid in exchange for his career and his work.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Because Geoff has a huge ego. He thinks he is "the man".
    No, Geoff is actually a very low-key, humble family man. The guy is at every soccer practice for his kids. He is very charismatic, but not at all a blowhard in his personal dealings. His public persona has nothing to do with his day-to-day character. He's also a huge [[and quiet) contributor to local Jewish causes.

While I don't agree with his politics, at all, Geoff is a good guy. Yeah, I know him. If he says he doesn't like the DAC because of racism and anti-Semitism, I take that at face value. Don't know if it's true, but I believe he thinks it's true.

Clubs like the DAC are useless anyways. They're anachronisms of the Mad Men days. I would join for the parking, if I were a regular attendee of Tigers games. Otherwise, no point to joining a club based on WASP exclusion and outdated ways of living. Like the suburban country clubs, these institutions won't exist in two-three generations or so.
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-28-15 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would he even entertain the thought of joining this club? Any ideas?
    To draw attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    He's been an asshole to lots of people around town, including plenty of DAC members. They are entitled to decide that they don't want him as a fellow member.
    This is 100% true, though Feiger is equally entitled to call the DAC out on it.

And I doubt he was denied because he's an "asshole". I would like to see the DAC membership list, and we can all vet for "asshole" behavior. It probably has more to do with his politics, ethnicity, and constituency. He doesn't fit a club of stodgy WASP Republicans from the Pointes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Clubs like the DAC are useless anyways. They're anachronisms of the Mad Men days. I would join for the parking, if I were a regular attendee of Tigers games. Otherwise, no point to joining a club based on WASP exclusion and outdated ways of living. Like the suburban country clubs, these institutions won't exist in two-three generations or so.
    You and I must know two different Geoff Fiegers. But I am not going to engage in character assassination against him. He does a perfectly fine job of destroying his own reputation.

As far as clubs like the DAC being useless, you do not know what you're talking about. Many fine social activities take place there. Many lifelong friendships have been forged there. Relationships have begun there that turned into marriage. Many business deals are hammered out there.

Further, your statement that the club is based on WASP exclusion would be laughable if not for its blatant ignorance. If that is what that fine institution is based upon then how, pray tell, did a Jewish man [[me) married to a lovely black woman [[my wife) with bi-racial children [[our kids) get welcomed with open arms into the club more than twenty years ago?

You are fond of pontificating on subjects of which you know very little to nothing at all. This is yet another shining example of this.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; March-01-15 at 09:24 AM.

This is 100% true, though Feiger is equally entitled to call the DAC out on it.

And I doubt he was denied because he's an "asshole". I would like to see the DAC membership list, and we can all vet for "asshole" behavior. It probably has more to do with his politics, ethnicity, and constituency. He doesn't fit a club of stodgy WASP Republicans from the Pointes.
    There's plenty of stodgy WASP Republican assholes at the DAC, but the membership is much more broad. The club's membership is quite large, as is necessary to support the very large and expensive-to-operate historic facility. Relative to most private social clubs, the membership is also very diverse politically, ethnically and racially. The place really isn't that exclusive, which is fine, otherwise they would need $3000/mo. dues to keep it open.

.. who were the first minority members of the DAC?

..what's something a working class person can join?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..what's something a working class person can join?
    A working class person, or a non working class person, can join any institution to which he or she can afford the initiation fee and dues and to which his or her character and standing in the community is approved of by the current members of said institution.

So how much are the dues for the DAC

You and I must know two different Geoff Feigers. But I am not going to engage in character assassination against him. He does a perfectly fine job of destroying his own reputation.
    Do you know him and his family personally? I do. He's basically the ultimate family man, and nothing like his public reputation. He is literally at every soccer practice for his kids, and could not be quieter or more understated in his personal dealings. He lives modestly. And I think he's a nut in many respects! But you don't know him, unless you know him.

As far as clubs like the DAC being useless, you do not know what you're talking about.
    Reality says otherwise. Downtown business/clubs clubs have been dropping like flies, and probably 80-90% of these clubs have disappeared throughout the U.S. There were dozens of such clubs in Detroit a few decades ago, and now there is basically one.

It has nothing to do with Detroit's decline, the exact same thing has happened in the New Yorks and San Franciscos of the world. The "downtown club" and "suburban country club" type lifestyles are basically incompatible with how people generally live today. Women work, families are smaller, people with money travel with their free time. Boozy lunches and hours wasted with "the boys" are not the norm with most families today.

It isn't 1955 anymore. Guys are usually at home pulling their weight, or you're going to have a pissed off wife [[and for good reason). But DAC will survive because it's sitting on a goldmine. It controls parking next to the stadia, and so it can monetize the most important asset downtown- parking spaces for suburbanites.

Do you know him and his family personally? I do. He's basically the ultimate family man, and nothing like his public reputation. He is literally at every soccer practice for his kids, and could not be quieter or more understated in his personal dealings. He lives modestly. And I think he's a nut in many respects! But you don't know him, unless you know him.

Reality says otherwise. Downtown business/clubs clubs have been dropping like flies, and probably 80-90% of these clubs have disappeared throughout the U.S. There were dozens of such clubs in Detroit a few decades ago, and now there is basically one.

It has nothing to do with Detroit's decline, the exact same thing has happened in the New Yorks and San Franciscos of the world. The "downtown club" and "suburban country club" type lifestyles are basically incompatible with how people generally live today. Women work, families are smaller, people with money travel with their free time. Boozy lunches and hours wasted with "the boys" are not the norm with most families today.

It isn't 1955 anymore. Guys are usually at home pulling their weight, or you're going to have a pissed off wife [[and for good reason). But DAC will survive because it's sitting on a goldmine. It controls parking next to the stadia, and so it can monetize the most important asset downtown- parking spaces for suburbanites.
    Yikes, wrong again! In addition to the DAC...Detroit Golf Club, Detroit Yacht Club, Detroit Raquet Club, and Yondotega Club.

Also, I know for a fact that Fieger has a horrible reputation with child care providers.

Fieger made his specialty suing the crap out of the city of Detroit and now he wonders why he isn't wanted at the best PRIVATE athletic club in the D? Really? Hey Bham is your friend always this stupid or is it just an act for the media? I guess they should have hung a sign out front saying "2015 DAC women, blacks and Jews are more than welcome but TV ambulance chasers that fuck over the city can hit the bricks" just for him.

He lives modestly.
    Fieger's Bloomfield Hills home on B.H.C.C. ninth hole. "Modestly"... Is everything you say Bham just made up?

http://tsagc.com/portfolio/item/fieger-residence/

Seriously, like 5 times just this week on this board alone posters have proven you dead wrong with facts and links to prove the facts. At what time do you start to believe that when everyone in your life says you're full of shit do you realize it's actually very true?

This is only the Bloomfield Hills residence, not the lakefront home on Cedar Island Lake in
    White Lake Township, or the house in Sedona, Arizona, or the ocean front estate in Anguilla.

Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-28-15 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Fieger's Bloomfield Hills home on B.H.C.C. ninth hole. "Modestly"... Is everything you say Bham just made up?

http://tsagc.com/portfolio/item/fieger-residence/

Seriously, like 5 times just this week on this board alone posters have proven you dead wrong with facts and links to prove the facts. At what time do you start to believe that when everyone in your life says you're full of shit do you realize it's actually very true?

This is only the Bloomfield Hills residence, not the lakefront home on Cedar Island Lake in
    White Lake Township, or the house in Sedona, Arizona, or the ocean front estate in Anguilla.

Wow, What a dump. Even the wallpapers cockeyed in the bedroom.

"downtown club" and "suburban country club" type lifestyles are basically incompatible with how people generally live today.
    And yet the DAC is doing just fine.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...club/20467061/

Secondary source: My uncle, who works there.
    Tertiary source: My other uncle, who's a member.

The Fieger Law website has a list of cases they won with the associated payouts.
    The total payouts for cases with the word "police" in their description came to
    $201.5 million.

Wow, with such modest digs like that, I can see how he can identify with the people he targets in his TV ads.

But DAC will survive because it's sitting on a goldmine. It controls parking next to the stadia, and so it can monetize the most important asset downtown- parking spaces for suburbanites.
    Yeah, that's it. The DAC is strictly a parking lot operator these days.

Your chauvinistic idea that club life is nothing more than boozy lunches, and "hours wasted with the boys" while the "pissed off wife" is at home are comical. Obviously you and your stereotypes are stuck in 1955. The DAC is a very family oriented club. There are many activities for women and children. My wife enjoys spending time there as much as I do.

Do you ever stop to read and ponder what you have typed before you click on the "post" button? The ignorance that emanates from your keyboard is utterly astounding at times.

But your ill-informed opinion matters not. Our club is doing just fine. Our current membership is robust and we have many more prospective members waiting to join.

You should open your eyes and your mind and experience reality instead of believing that you know all there is to know about everything. What a pity that all wisdom must die with you. Shalom!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; March-01-15 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wow, What a dump. Even the wallpapers cockeyed in the bedroom.

Yes, and frankly, indoor pools the siza my house are a dime a dozen, em, and passé...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    The Fieger Law website has a list of cases they won with the associated payouts.
    The total payouts for cases with the word "police" in their description came to
    $201.5 million.
    What about the ones with "car" or "accident" or "slip and fall"? Bet they're much higher.

The Detroit Athletic Club always have that racial policy since the day they open from Cass and Canfield St. their downtown location. Fieger knew its going to happen because of his Jewish background.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Detroit Athletic Club always have that racial policy since the day they open from Cass and Canfield St. their downtown location. Fieger knew its going to happen because of his Jewish background.
    Danny, that is a sadly misinformed statement. Please read and understand the third paragraph in post# 7 above.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast