Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Kwame Kenyatta

Default Kwame Kenyatta

I was just wondering on what other people thought about Detroit City Councilman Kwame Kenyatta.

Within the last few years I've actually gotten to respect the man a little bit more based upon two very critical moments within the city government- when he spoke up and demanded the OTHER Kwame out of office and his vocal request to have Monica Conyers leave office. That must've taken some guts & courage to dispense with the Mayor and a colleague on the Council. Even though morally and sensibly it was the right thing to do, I'm sure going in front of the media requesting this was not the preferred way.

Granted with his personal skeletons in the closet, he and his wife did bail on their mortgage but as far as his job performance on the City Council, he seems like a level headed sensible sort of guy so far. I'm glad that Detroiters have voted him back on for another term. Hopefully he can help turn this city around.

Anyone else's thoughts?

He's good. He just needs to move past his prejudices of people that aren't black. He especially seems to have it in for Arabs and Chaldeans.

I've known Keyatta since he was a County Commissioner. I agree that he is a very level headed and stand up guy. He takes time to get multiple perspectives on an issue before making a decision. You won't hear him making stupid, off the cuff remarks like too many other politicians. When you do hear him raise his voice or use pointed words, pay attention because he only does so for good reason. At the end of the day Kenyatta always makes decisions with the best interest of his constituents as the goal. I hope to see him back in November as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    He's good. He just needs to move past his prejudices of people that aren't black. He especially seems to have it in for Arabs and Chaldeans.
    I haven't heard or seen anything he's done about his prejudices against these groups of people. Care to elaborate a little?

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I haven't heard or seen anything he's done about his prejudices against these groups of people. Care to elaborate a little?
    It's going to take some research on your part. But check his voting record. Especially with contracts that are with any group that has Arab or Chaldean in its name.

I haven't heard anything to indicate he is prejudice toward these races either. Why should we have to research it. When stating a point/opinion, give us concrete proof.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I haven't heard anything to indicate he is prejudice toward these races either. Why should we have to research it. When stating a point/opinion, give us concrete proof.
    I'm in agreement here. I'm by no means saying that Kwame Kenyatta is a saint, can turn water into wine and be a miracle worker here but Kraig, you're the one who's claiming he's prejudiced. And what proof do you have that he made these choices because the name of the company sounds as though it was of Arab or Chaldean descent?

Just because one makes a decision on "Smith Company" called over the "Sheikh company" doesn't necessarily mean it was based upon any prejudices. What if the "Smith Company's" bid was better than the "Sheikh Company" bid or what if the services were better? Wouldn't it be prudent of any sensible person to go with the better contract? If there's a smoking gun here, let's see it.

You made the claim. You need to back it up.

I'm in agreement here. I'm by no means saying that Kwame Kenyatta is a saint, can turn water into wine and be a miracle worker here but Kraig, you're the one who's claiming he's prejudiced. And what proof do you have that he made these choices because the name of the company sounds as though it was of Arab or Chaldean descent?

Just because one makes a decision on "Smith Company" called over the "Sheikh company" doesn't necessarily mean it was based upon any prejudices. What if the "Smith Company's" bid was better than the "Sheikh Company" bid or what if the services were better? Wouldn't it be prudent of any sensible person to go with the better contract? If there's a smoking gun here, let's see it.

You made the claim. You need to back it up.
    Council Members aren't involved in the awarding of the contracts, just the approval of them. So it's not a matter of him choosing one company over another. It's a matter of him voting to deny or holding the contract of the company that was awarded the contract through the city's process. Minutes from all of the council meetings aren't something that I have just laying around. If you want proof, just pay attention to him. Especially when Workforce Development contracts with the Arab/Chaldean group come up.

LodgeDodger Guest

While I'm displeased with Mr. Kenyatta's mortgage issue, he's always treated me with respect.

The problem with Kenyatta is the same with almost all of the final 18.

He has no business experience.

His powerbase [[ as well as those of Watson, Jones, Alberta, etc.) comes from being an activist. An activist's main function is to dole out the spoils from City coffers. Housing projects, road projects, development projects of all sorts. These projects are all funded with tax dollars. They all spend tax dollars, they don't create tax dollars.

Detroit needs people who know how to create wealth, not spend wealth. The inspection process, the permit process, the cost of doing business bribes ... these are all cumbersome to a business doing business. Cumbersome to the creation of wealth. Add in the unseen taxes of crime, hyperinflated insurance rates and it takes very little figuring to discover that the total cost of doing business in the City is anti-business. Anti-wealth. Anti-prosperity.

With a homeowner tax rate of over 65 mills, and a business rate of over 85 mills and compare that to Warren's 32 or Canton's rate of 27 and you can only wonder why there are any people - or businesses - left in the City itself.

Kenyatta, an avowed communist, an avowed black nationalist who [[in his first campaign) ran on the platform of making Detroit a Marcus Garvey enclave, has not exhibited a deep understanding on the creation of wealth.

Personally he is a likable man. He has a gentle manner and has been the voice of reason during the Cobo and Kilpatrick messes, but being the only sane one in a room of kooks doesn't make you qualified to help dig Detroit out of its systemic woes.

Kwame Kenyatta is a Detroit City Councilman for the people of Detroit. He doesn't play race cards with any people. He just wants to get the job done for the city. He's never under fire with any political corruption or evading any taxes. He fights for the people to get good city services out and he stepping up his duties and fulfilling his principles.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    You won't hear him making stupid, off the cuff remarks like too many other politicians.
    Where in the hell do you guys get this sh%t from? Everytime this man gets brought up, it's as if people's memory of him only goes back to 2008.

This guy as early as 2006 refered to Brooks Patterson [[who I can't stand with a passion) as the "Grand Dragon of Oakland County". It's one thing to like the guy; it's entirely another to like the guy because you don't know sh%t about him beyond a few key votes.

So, what's wrong with that statement about ol' Brooksie?

Councilman Kenyatta has always impressed me as a man of conviction, and someone who truly cares about our city. Too many on council put themslevs before the people of Detroit.

I admit I had my doubts regarding Kwame. As a white eastside community activist, I have been in front of council on several occaisions. He has been polite and attentives to issues and had intelligent questions.

JoAnn Watson on the other hand has definite race issues. My last appearance in front of council, where I read a support statement from Preservation Wayne showed her true "color" bias. She was nasty, kept interupting and attempted to ridicule me personally [[remember I was reading a statement of support from a well known and respected organization). I lost my temper but quite competently showed her up for the fool she was. She stood up and screamed at me saying Shoo Shoo over and over with the accompanied hand motions. I guess since I don't look like her so I should leave the city.

As a member and volunteer for many city eastside non profits with a rich diversity of citizens [[neighbors) working together for a common good, we need a Council that is color blind. While Kwame did not support any issues with his vote affecting our community [[mostly) black residents, he did give me confidence that all sides got heard.

Sumas, you are wrong to believe that "She was nasty, kept interupting and attempted to ridicule me personally" was because you are white.

Watson IS rude & nasty, period. End of story. No other comments needed. Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmil View Post
    Watson IS rude & nasty, period.
    This shouldn't be tolerated. I agree to an extent with gnome that we need business friendly leadership in this city. What goes hand in hand with business friendly is customer service. The customer in a city is its residents and business owners. There is never a reason to be rude to these people. If they are disorderly then have them removed, otherwise one can listen to opposition and disagree with class. Leadership should always set the example of how people should conduct themselves. This is what was most shameful about Monica Conyers and her arguing with a thirteen year old. The little girl could have been a straight up brat and it would be understandable. But a grown women who was in a leadership position acting more immature than some teenager? Not acceptable at all, in any shape or form. We need leaders who are leaders, not chest thumpers.

Council observers have said that Watson was the instigator and architect of most of the Monica Conyers stupidity while chairing the body.

Default JoAnn Watson/Kenyatta must go!!

People be honset with yourselves Kenyatta and JoAnn Watson are predjuice as hell anyway. These are nothing more that the civil rights regimes that are hold Detroit back!!! Never the mind Wastson didn't pay all her Dam back taxes.