Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default KUDOS To The DPD... Brand Knock-offs Raid

I'm undecided about this. While I can sympathize with the big name brands and retailers that are hurt by knockoffs, in a city with crimes issues such as Detroit's should these actions really be a priority for DPD? We're still averaging close to a murder per day and the perpetrators are getting off Scot free on more than half of them. I'm not sure how I feel about DPD dedicating a year of work to a case where the victims don't live in the city and the losses are strictly monetary.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm undecided about this. While I can sympathize with the big name brands and retailers that are hurt by knockoffs, in a city with crimes issues such as Detroit's should these actions really be a priority for DPD? We're still averaging close to a murder per day and the perpetrators are getting off Scot free on more than half of them. I'm not sure how I feel about DPD dedicating a year of work to a case where the victims don't live in the city and the losses are strictly monetary.
    I've heard people get mad when they get traffic tickets too. "Why did I get this traffic ticket when there are unsolved murders!?!?"

The police need to enforce all laws. This is not a victimless crime. The crime has two victims. The companies that have built these brands are losing money and reputation with the cheaper knock-off gear in circulation. Also, the people of Detroit are victimized when they spend their hard earned cash to buy what they think is premium clothing brands, when in fact, they're getting something of a lower quality.

Annnnnnd this is the part where the feds come in and take over...

Prosecutions resulting in fines and forefeitures against commercial entities can also be fundraisers, and Detroit's law enforcement infrastructure needs fundraisers.

There should be some great bargains @ the next Police Auction...... "2 For Fifty...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Annnnnnd this is the part where the feds come in and take over...

Prosecutions resulting in fines and forefeitures against commercial entities can also be fundraisers, and Detroit's law enforcement infrastructure needs fundraisers.

The problem is these guys probably already flew back home with their money, and the knockoffs in their inventory can't be sold off. My apologies if anyone is offended by my inference that these jackasses aren't from the U.S, but nine times out of ten that's just the reality with those retailing counterfeit clothing around here.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-27-15 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've heard people get mad when they get traffic tickets too. "Why did I get this traffic ticket when there are unsolved murders!?!?"

The police need to enforce all laws. This is not a victimless crime. The crime has two victims. The companies that have built these brands are losing money and reputation with the cheaper knock-off gear in circulation. Also, the people of Detroit are victimized when they spend their hard earned cash to buy what they think is premium clothing brands, when in fact, they're getting something of a lower quality.
    Those speeding on our streets directly affects the lives of everyday citizens, but you have to admit traffic laws aren't exactly enforced in Detroit to the same standards that they are in the suburbs. DPD simply does not have the manpower to pull over all of those running on expired tags, double parking or speeding down the freeway.

I'm not suggesting that they should not enforce all laws, but due to being overworked they have been selectively enforcing laws for decades. It just seems wasteful to me to dedicate so many man hours to something like this when there are much more pressing issues. No resident of Detroit is getting ripped off when they pay $20 for a "Coach" purse. They're getting exactly what they thought they were getting at a price that's actually in their budget.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-27-15 at 08:43 PM.

Anything to keep a brother down. Small business assassins.

So what kind of machinery do you need to be able to make your own logos on clothing?

Low hanging fruit.

Crime involving murder and bodily harm must be priority one. I hear you. But this raid may NOT necessarily have been a super priority -- it could have been a small number of DPD dedicated over the year. I'm sure the crap-sellers who ran that shop LONG and BOLD never thought they'd get busted.

They probably do online scamming too which will be even harder to persecute.

Then DPD finally nailed them possibly by an accumulation of tips going back years possibly.

I'm not sure how I feel about DPD dedicating a year of work to a case where the victims don't live in the city and the losses are strictly monetary.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-27-15 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    NOT necessarily a priority... those folks may have been running that joint LONG and BOLD not even thinking they EVER get busted. Then DPD got around to it possibly by an accumalation of tips.
    Maybe, but the quote below from the article leads me to believe there was some time invested into this. I'm not opposed to DPD busting these guys. In fact, I'm glad that they nailed them, it's just that it appears that it was a an extended operation to do so, and the rewards of one less shady retailer don't seem to outweigh the loss of those cops on the street tackling other pressing issues.

"The investigation paid off after more than a year of work for Detroit police - leading to an east side store called "OMG Wear."

Let's get real here: this is a sick fucking joke.

When my car was stolen, both times, no policeman came even to make a report, much less investigate. When my place was broken into, both times, no policeman came even to make a report. I, and hundreds of thousands of others, left the city because of such crimes, depriving it of desperately needed income, and leaving vast tracts of land abandoned. I have never heard of anyone who moved out of Detroit because people were selling knockoff merchandise. Lots of people moved out because they were victims of crimes which were never investigated, much less solved.

Detroit needs to enforce the kinds of crimes that are causing people to continue to flee, and not just be another corporate-interest lackey. This makes me absolutely sick.

Yeah, I hear you and the Professor. With the unarguably high crime and missing people going on in the city this cannot be a priority! People are leaving the D mostly due to the crime directly upon their person or property, ignored and left un-investigated!

Maybe, but the quote below from the article leads me to believe there was some time invested into this. I'm not opposed to DPD busting these guys. In fact, I'm glad that they nailed them, it's just that it appears that it was a an extended operation to do so, and the rewards of one less shady retailer don't seem to outweigh the loss of those cops on the street tackling other pressing issues.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-28-15 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

When my car was stolen, both times, no policeman came even to make a report, much less investigate. When my place was broken into, both times, no policeman came even to make a report. I, and hundreds of thousands of others, left the city because of such crimes, depriving it of desperately needed income, and leaving vast tracts of land abandoned. I have never heard of anyone who moved out of Detroit because people were selling knockoff merchandise. Lots of people moved out because they were victims of crimes which were never investigated, much less solved.

Detroit needs to enforce the kinds of crimes that are causing people to continue to flee, and not just be another corporate-interest lackey. This makes me absolutely sick.
    Hallelujah! Finally! Thanx Professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So what kind of machinery do you need to be able to make your own logos on clothing?
    box of pre-sewn knockoff logos from china, box of pre-made knock off bags from china, a sewing machine and some minimum wage people to sew the two together.

took DPD a year to figure this crime of the century out.
    a city where thousands of rape kits are still being tested and many rapes go unsolved, not to mention high murder count, high carjacking and arson capital of the world.

plus the "normal" dpd police shortfall. makes you feel safer that the counterfeit purses are off the street. thanks chief craig.

if you want to change it , just look at those marijuana people, copy what they did.
    start a ballot question in detroit to change the prioritization of crimes.

^^^ I doubt they even have to go that far. There's a ton of this stuff for sale on Alibaba with counterfeit logos, tags, the whole works ready to sell. It's just another example of the absolute failure of our Federal Government to effectively police our borders.

IMO importers should to bearing a heavy cost to ensure that all cargo coming into this country is thoroughly inspected. If the costs for those inspections are too high then perhaps they should reconsider their choice to source these goods from abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

Can the congregation say amen?

illegal is still illegal. Can anyone say "broken windows theory"? Google it if you don't know what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    illegal is still illegal. Can anyone say "broken windows theory"? Google it if you don't know what it means.
    Even an old cock will puff it's chest now and then and attempt to crow. You must subscribe to the Matty Moroun theory of building repair. No roof, rain, snow, and ice pouring in, but let's replace a few broken windows. There, isn't that special? Unless this operation was solely Made In Detroit, that is concocted, developed, and distributed within the C.O.D borders only, why is this a DPD issue? I'm pretty sure the operation went across State and even Country lines, which would make it a Federal case. Living here as long as I have, and dealing with the ineptness of the DPD, I too find this low-hanging, fruit-snatching media blitz insulting. There's been a recent rash of car thefts in my end of town. Broad daylight, same old white van, with writing on it, and it still goes on. I suppose it'll take the DPD "a year of investigation" to fix those broken windows too.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-03-15 at 01:05 AM.

When my cousin was robbed at the BP at I-75/7 Mile...the DPD could not have given a rat's ass, blaming HIM for going to a GAS station to get GAS. Of course, there was no sign of any cops anytime during his 7 days in Wayne County...all safely-ensconced in their station. Oakland County is no better...Mike Bouchard chases after finding Jimmy Hoffa's body while drug-addicted prostitutes patrol the streets, hoping that the resulting CNN coverage will propel him to Lansing. The only way that Mike Bouchard will get to Lansing is if he buys a ticket on Greyhound.

And meanwhile...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...home-next-door

Really wtf. Wouldn't take a year long investigation to fix this. They do it in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    And meanwhile...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...home-next-door

Really wtf. Wouldn't take a year long investigation to fix this. They do it in broad daylight.
    This is the next step for DPD. They need to be able to respond and put an end to this nonsense. They need to stop the bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This is the next step for DPD. They need to be able to respond and put an end to this nonsense. They need to stop the bleeding.
    This is the FIRST step for DPD. They need to be able to respond and put an end to this nonsense. They need to stop the bleeding.

Thought I'd make the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    But, this is not a case of a broken window or graffitti.

A homeless person jaywalking is also illegal, but when was the last time the DPD wrote up a ticket for that? The reason it's rarely enforced is because it isn't an efficient use of police resources.

What really gets me here is that it took over a year to investigate and they didn't even make an arrest yet; they just confiscated goods that can't be resold at auction and it will cost the taxpayers more money to destroy. What a waste of police resources. I mean, if Louis Vuitton is complaining about trademark violations, an undercover officer should go there, buy a fake handbag, have one of their representatives explain the differences in quality to show why it's fake and then press charges against whoever sold it and shut the store down. Whoever sold it to the undercover officer will testify against their employer for immunity. Why does it all take over a year to do something that should take a week? The DPD should be reorganized if this is how they use their time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast