Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Apartment Building in West Village Proposed!

I find this very exciting news! Looks like there are zoning issues that need to be resolved, but it speaks volumes on how development can potentially spread in Detroit's small walkable, neighborhoods. I'm actually surprised at the size for this neighborhood. I would have expected the first new development to be infill housing nearby, but there was recently the announcement of the purchase and renovation [[a few months back) of an abandoned apartment building in West Village so maybe there are not many large-scale rehab opportunities available within the actual West Village boundaries. There is definitely plenty of options for this neighborhood to spread to the immediate blocks west up to Grand Blvd and Jefferson.

New Proposed Apartments Bldg

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...s-proposed.php

Renovation of Old Building

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...st-village.php

I loved WV when I lived there, and am glad that it seems to be generating new interest and investment, including the businesses on Agnes. I think this building looks nice and would be a great addition to the area. Nice to see a substantial building being proposed outside of downtown and midtown.

I wonder why they want to tear down the parking structure and replace it with a parking lot.

With the sudden run up in IV housing prices, the renovation of the Alden Park, the possible renovation of those apartments on Parker, the businesses on Agnes by the Parkstone, and now this proposed project, it sure looks like this area is at last getting ready to boom.

Hopefully the surrounding area and businesses [[like the liquor store on Jefferson) begin to come up with it.

How nice sounding it would be to say, "I live in the West Village...in Detroit."

Edit: Within minutes I realized how pretentious that post makes me sound. I only mean that the more development comes the better reputation the neighborhoods will get. And therefore living in Detroit, anywhere, won't be taboo or questionable.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; February-26-15 at 08:58 PM.

my only wish is that they would continue the street wall instead of putting in a gated garden.

Walking distance to a maintained Belle Isle, one bus line and minutes from downtown...

I hope it all comes to fruition!

Two bus lines. Don't forget the Lafayette-Van Dyke is just two blocks north.

Of course, this is just a proposal and nothing may come of it, but this kind of thing is why I believe the people who think that improving downtown is irrelevant to the neighborhoods are mistaken. I very much doubt people would be looking at doing this kind of redevelopment if downtown were not on the upswing; if nothing else higher rents downtown mean you can charge higher rents in surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    With the sudden run up in IV housing prices, the renovation of the Alden Park, the possible renovation of those apartments on Parker, the businesses on Agnes by the Parkstone, and now this proposed project, it sure looks like this area is at last getting ready to boom.

Hopefully the surrounding area and businesses [[like the liquor store on Jefferson) begin to come up with it.
    Would that be VanDyke liquor store on Jeff? They seem fine to me. As a courtesy, they stock my brand of tobacco and liquor I like. They don't tolerate panhandlers and I feel quite safe doing business there. If you are talking the one at the blvd, I wouldn't go in there ever again, once was enough. The really creepy one on Vandyke has been closed for a year or two. It was just a drug venue.
    Last edited by sumas; February-27-15 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    How nice sounding it would be to say, "I live in the West Village...in Detroit."

Edit: Within minutes I realized how pretentious that post makes me sound. I only mean that the more development comes the better reputation the neighborhoods will get. And therefore living in Detroit, anywhere, won't be taboo or questionable.
    It didn't sound pretentious, I live in Islandview Village, next to West Village. Anything positive is always welcome. Community groups work hard to make our areas safe and desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Of course, this is just a proposal and nothing may come of it, but this kind of thing is why I believe the people who think that improving downtown is irrelevant to the neighborhoods are mistaken. I very much doubt people would be looking at doing this kind of redevelopment if downtown were not on the upswing; if nothing else higher rents downtown mean you can charge higher rents in surrounding areas.
    bingo! it is a very slow process but a strong core will lead to stronger neighborhoods and development happening in places like west village. there are a few parcels in that area that could use buildings like this. im still hoping for something to happen with the whittier hotel. that would be huge for the area.

Great building, poor site plan. Go make the following tweaks: turn the building to face Jefferson and fill in the currently proposed space along Jefferson. Put gardens, rec, and parking behind [[why the hell would you put gardens on jefferson behind a little fence-- that's just awkward?).

Fine with demo'ing everything in red on the curbed link, except the white house, which seems typical of historic West Village and lower Van Dyke in particular. It does not look too far gone. Under my above proposal, it need not be removed anyway.

Excited to see this proposal and the developer interest. Let's do this right though.

The owner of the liquor store must have people in their back pocket to have their buildings spared from demolition but the historic mansion is not spared. One of the down fall on that corner is the liquor store, the other is that gas station. They are havens for crime and unwanted loitering

The developer might have a plan to make the liquor store go away and get a new tenant, i.e. purchasing the building.

As to the gas station, would love to see it gone. Also its site is obnoxiously huge.

I wondered what was on that corner before the gas station was there. I hope that the store would go. I know that the owner is trying to get rid of the pan hander but sometimes they would just move away a few feet and panhandle on the corner. West Village is coming alive with Craftworks, Red Hook, and a bakery, Sister Pie, opening this year. It is too bad that the city is still giving businesses such as the bakery a hard time to set up shop while a liquor store selling g pizza and wings are allowed to open in a timely manner with all of its reportedly violations. Still too many people in high places in city government are probably corrupt

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wondered what was on that corner before the gas station was there.
    I don't think there was ever anything on that corner other than a gas station, at least not in the living memory of either me or my father [[and 1915 maps show nothing at all there). There was a small old greasy spoon building between the gas station and the nursing home, but it was torn down sometime in the 60s when the gas station was expanded.

The nursing home [[part of the Maroun family empire) was in an old house, until that was torn down in the 60s and replaced with the modern building that's there now [[later expanded farther up Parker).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-27-15 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Fine with demo'ing everything in red on the curbed link, except the white house, which seems typical of historic West Village and lower Van Dyke in particular. It does not look too far gone.
    It's actually in very rough shape, and has been vacant for quite some time now. It was cut up into offices many years ago, and is actually linked by a passageway to another hidden and also cut-up old house behind it that used to face onto Jefferson. My aunt worked there back in the '60s for a company that sold modern designer office furniture, and there were tenants in the building who went back into the '50s.

I would, of course, rather see it saved than torn down, but I also don't think there's a compelling reason to put up a big historic fight over it.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-27-15 at 04:06 PM.

I would think that we will see more of these developments now that Belle Isle is more of a family park and less of a party park. Residential housing in close proximity to the Island should be in higher demand moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The developer might have a plan to make the liquor store go away and get a new tenant, i.e. purchasing the building.

As to the gas station, would love to see it gone. Also its site is obnoxiously huge.
    I unfortunately got the name wrong, it's Jefferson Liquor store. I don't see them as blight and mentioned they bring in the tobacco I smoke. Polite customers. I don't buy much there so just a nice kindness. No pan handling, walks shoveled salted etc. Talked to the owner today, give him the right price and he will leave. I would miss them, responsible business owners getting squeezed out??? Gentrification? Lets put in another coffee shop that will fail.

well good luck to them. Hopefully the devastated, decrepit former apartment buildings in my neighborhood can get razed by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I unfortunately got the name wrong, it's Jefferson Liquor store. I don't see them as blight and mentioned they bring in the tobacco I smoke. Polite customers. I don't buy much there so just a nice kindness. No pan handling, walks shoveled salted etc. Talked to the owner today, give him the right price and he will leave. I would miss them, responsible business owners getting squeezed out??? Gentrification? Lets put in another coffee shop that will fail.
    Sumas, are you suggesting that replacing a liquor store - in a city that has enough allotted liquor licenses for a population of 1.5 million - with a new market rate apartment building would be a bad thing?