Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A workforce that looks like Detroit

Nolan Finley has several op-ed about the changes in Downtown and Midtown and how Detroit demographic isn't reflected in it. I don't understand why he doesn't get it. Who does he think the 250,000 people who left between 2000 and 2010 were? The Detroit residents who would be in the current Downtown and Midtown moved to NYC, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. Is this common thought in the area? Are people that clueless on Detroit's economic demographic? In one breath you talk about poverty and/or the working class in the city and then wonder why they aren't in Midtown during happy-hour.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...ions/24015283/

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    Nolan Finley has several op-ed about the changes in Downtown and Midtown and how Detroit demographic isn't reflected in it. I don't understand why he doesn't get it. Who does he think the 250,000 people who left between 2000 and 2010 were? The Detroit residents who would be in the current Downtown and Midtown moved to NYC, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. Is this common thought in the area? Are people that clueless on Detroit's economic demographic? In one breath you talk about poverty and/or the working class in the city and then wonder why they aren't in Midtown during happy-hour.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...ions/24015283/
    Nolan Finley is clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I don't understand why he doesn't get it. Who does he think the 250,000 people who left between 2000 and 2010 were? The Detroit residents who would be in the current Downtown and Midtown moved to NYC, D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, etc.
    LOL, no. It's you who don't "get it".

The people who left Detroit between 2000-2010 are in the suburbs, or down South. They're overwhelmingly middle class black families from the city fringes. They are not downing cosmos in Manhattan or LA; they're living the suburban ideal in some random suburb you probably never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    LOL, no. It's you who don't "get it".

The people who left Detroit between 2000-2010 are in the suburbs, or down South. They're overwhelmingly middle class black families from the city fringes. They are not downing cosmos in Manhattan or LA; they're living the suburban ideal in some random suburb you probably never heard of.
    This is partly true. As far as families this is true. But single and educated? I think most of those left the state. My single friends at that time didn't move to the suburbs they left the state.