Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MAcc Guest

Default Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy sends her kid to Cranbrook

According to today's Freep. Conyers sent his boys to CK too. Says so much about their belief in Detroit and Wayne County in general.
    Last edited by MAcc; February-26-15 at 02:39 PM.

MAcc Guest

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...idel/24037513/

Old thread about her house in foreclosure: http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1219544492

Good thing she can afford the $31k sticker a year for CK and what is possibly the most expensive sport for a child in figure skating.
    Last edited by MAcc; February-26-15 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    According to today's Freep. Conyers sent his boys to CK too. Says so much about their belief in Detroit and Wayne County in general.
    Would it be different if they sent their kids to UD-Mercy?

There is absolutely nothing wrong wanting the best for ones children.

Our oldest was offered scholarships, we choose not to option on them...Easter break, kids going to Europe, mine a visit to Grandma. Didn't seem like a good fit.

Certainly don't fault any parent for choosing what seems best for their kids.

I suggest leave it alone. Lame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong wanting the best for ones children.

Our oldest was offered scholarships, we choose not to option on them...Easter break, kids going to Europe, mine a visit to Grandma. Didn't seem like a good fit.

Certainly don't fault any parent for choosing what seems best for their kids.

I suggest leave it alone. Lame thread.
    Kind of how I feel.

I'm a part of the conversation here but I don't live in Detroit, I only work in Detroit. I moved from Warren [[Center Line Schools) out to Rochester Hills so my kids can attend good public schools.

So they want the best for their children and they have enough money that they can provide it, great for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Kind of how I feel.

I'm a part of the conversation here but I don't live in Detroit, I only work in Detroit. I moved from Warren [[Center Line Schools) out to Rochester Hills so my kids can attend good public schools.
    So they want the best for their children and they have enough money that they can provide it, great for them.
    We chased around always looking for the best options for education for our kids. They are doing very well as adults. They are grown, on their own and successful, I am back in Detroit and loving it.

Nice to hear from a loving parent. It's a huge responsibility! Keep up the good work

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...idel/24037513/

Old thread about her house in foreclosure: http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1219544492

Good thing she can afford the $31k sticker a year for CK and what is possibly the most expensive sport for a child in figure skating.
    And George Romney sent his kids to Cranbrook too. Or is that somehow different... hmmm...

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Would it be different if they sent their kids to UD-Mercy?
    Isn't Mercy the college, so I think you mean Jesuit? Jesuit is a 1/3 of the cost of CK and located in the county, so yes, it would be different.

Speaks volumes when local leaders educate their children in Oakland County for $31k a year. It's especially rich when I believe Conyers used a public defender and Worthy lost her house due to foreclosure. Don't pay your bills but put your kid in a tony school and patrician sports.

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And George Romney sent his kids to Cranbrook too. Or is that somehow different... hmmm...
    Romney grew up a couple of miles from CK and his dad was governor. We're talking about Wayne County politicians driving their kids a half hour north to be educated at an Oakland County prep school.

Isn't Mercy the college, so I think you mean Jesuit? Jesuit is a 1/3 of the cost of CK and located in the county, so yes, it would be different.

Speaks volumes when local leaders educate their children in Oakland County for $31k a year. It's especially rich when I believe Conyers used a public defender and Worthy lost her house due to foreclosure. Don't pay your bills but put your kid in a tony school and patrician sports.
    You have no idea whether or not they are there on some form of scholarship, or what their financial arrangement is. You also seem totally unaware that a substantial number of Detroit children go to school there, and that they send buses into Detroit [[and indeed several other places) to pick up students. As do other OC private schools like Country Day and Roeper.

You also seem to think, or at least imply, that black parents should somehow have different expectations for their children and be held to a different standard than others.

You have no idea whether or not they are there on some form of scholarship, or what their financial arrangement is. You also seem totally unaware that a substantial number of Detroit children go to school there, and that they send buses into Detroit [[and indeed several other places) to pick up students. As do other OC private schools like Country Day and Roeper.

You also seem to think, or at least imply, that black parents should somehow have different expectations for their children and be held to a different standard than others.
    I didn't see any sort of racial implication.

Financial aid is extremely unlikely. The vast majority of students at Cranbrook do not receive financial aid, which is largely reserved for low income households. I seriously doubt Kim Worthy would qualify as a low income household.

I don't care where someone sends their kids to school. It's a non-issue. The hypocrisy comes in when there's this constant talk of city limits = good, suburb = bad, but then when it comes to the big decisions in life [[stuff like where to educate your kids), people run to the burbs. Actions speak louder than words.

Educational opportunities in the city proper basically suck, and no one can blame Worthy for putting her kids in a better situation. Good for her if she can foot the bill. I know I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm sure you wouldn't.

I'm sure you wouldn't.
    Ok, then please be so kind to point out the racial implication.

I hope you have something better than "Kim Worthy happens to be black, like 90% of Detroiters".

Financial aid is extremely unlikely. The vast majority of students at Cranbrook do not receive financial aid, which is largely reserved for low income households. I seriously doubt Kim Worthy would qualify as a low income household.

I don't care where someone sends their kids to school. It's a non-issue. The hypocrisy comes in when there's this constant talk of city limits = good, suburb = bad, but then when it comes to the big decisions in life [[stuff like where to educate your kids), people run to the burbs. Actions speak louder than words.

Educational opportunities in the city proper basically suck, and no one can blame Worthy for putting her kids in a better situation. Good for her if she can foot the bill. I know I can't.
    Financial aid is very likely. 1/3 of Cranbrook [[and similar) students receive financial aid. It is not reserved for low income students, who would be eligible for a very limited number of full scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Financial aid is very likely. 1/3 of Cranbrook [[and similar) students receive financial aid. It is not reserved for low income students, who would be eligible for a very limited number of full scholarships.
    I don't see why financial aid is "very likely" or why this is even relevant. Based on what?

Their website claims 30% of total student body receives some sort of assistance, BTW. And they claim it's strictly based on "need". What evidence do you have that Worthy is a low income household?

I don't even get why people care where she sends her kids. Probably most kids in Cranbrook aren't from the immediate area. If you live around there, the local publics offer equal outcomes, so there's little academic need.
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-26-15 at 04:46 PM.

Sounds like someone has it in for Worthy. Is she currently investigating/prosecuting someone in the Detroit city government?

Seems like some people never forgave her for going after Kwame.

I don't really see that it says much of anything about their belief in Detroit. It might say something about their belief in the DPS, but not thinking that the DPS is a place you want your children seems a pretty widespread view, even for people who clearly believe in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Seems like some people never forgave her for going after Kwame.
    I'd be willing to bet that's not MAcc's problem with her.

Ok, then please be so kind to point out the racial implication
    Like I said... OK, lets just say that out of all of the local politicians and other prominent people in this area who send or have sent their children to Cranbrook, MAcc just happened to pick Kym Worthy and John Conyers at random for his disdain. Let's just leave it at that, hmmm.

What evidence do you have that Worthy is a low income household?
    None, other than MAcc's claim about the foreclosure of her house. I just wanted to point out that not everyone whose children go to Cranbrook pay the full tuition, or are wealthy. Neither he, nor you, nor I have any idea what her current financial condition is or what the financial arrangement with Cranbrook may be.

I don't even get why people care where she sends her kids.
    Neither do I. You'd have to ask our buddy MAcc about that, since he's the one person who seems to really be focused on it.

Oh, and I'd like to add that focusing on Anastasia Worthy's participation in figure skating [[at apparently a pretty high level) as something to be criticized, is particularly out of line. And something I'll bet MAcc wouldn't do to the children of any of our paler politicians who may be involved in that sport.

MAcc Guest

The hypocrisy comes in when there's this constant talk of city limits = good, suburb = bad, but then when it comes to the big decisions in life [[stuff like where to educate your kids), people run to the burbs. Actions speak louder than words.
    Bingo.

As for why I "picked" Worthy...IT'S IN TODAY'S PAPER. She's considered the most powerful woman in the state, certainly Wayne County. And Conyers is easily the most famous politician in the region.

I know Gov. Synder sent his kids to Greenhills in Ann Arbor [[a Cranbrook peer), but it's about a mile from his house and last I checked he's worth many millions of dollars.

MAcc Guest

Oh, and I'd like to add that focusing on Anastasia Worthy's participation in figure skating [[at apparently a pretty high level) as something to be criticized, is particularly out of line. And something I'll bet MAcc wouldn't do to the children of any of our paler politicians who may be involved in that sport.
    Takes a lot of gall to continue wealthy pursuits when you don't pay your bills. If someone owed you money would you like to see them ordering lobster?

I'm sorry, does she owe you any money?

It takes even more gall to try to presume that you know better than someone else how his/her children should be raised.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-26-15 at 05:29 PM.

You guys took the troll bait hook, line and sinker...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast