Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default End of an Era: Blue Pointe restaurant closes its doors tonight

It truly lasted a long time. Kudos to them, and I encourage Muer to get back in the game soon, maybe a new venture on Mack Ave.

I really worry about the far east side sometimes. A lot of streets are going fast, and East English Village is very quickly being surrounded by truly unstable streets that used to be solid, if poorer. The space East of Whittier between Mack Ave. up to Ford Freeway and beyond has got to be the among the places in the city that's seen the largest violent crime increase over 5 or so years, though I'd defer to official numbers over my perception. I hope I am wrong and I hope that good policing stops the bleeding-- I know that these neighborhoods are near the top of Duggan's list for preserving.

I think it has more to do with declining business than crime. I'll miss the place.

Sad news. Restaurants over here on this side of town are struggling, as the population ages out. And what younger people there are are going elsewhere for dining and entertainment. Places their parents and grandparents wouldn't and didn't go, like downtown, midtown, corktown, etc. If you look at the way people in their 20s and 30s go out to enjoy themselves now, restaurants like Blue Pointe, as stand-alone night-out dining destinations, do seem increasingly old fashioned and endangered.

Still, I wonder if a 'freshened up' and somewhat more casual version of something like Blue Pointe wouldn't do well in a slightly different location, like on Kercheval in the Park or the Village. I think their once highly-trafficked location became more "off the beaten path" and a more of a liability over the years. Certainly a seafood menu, if done right, would seem to be a continuing, or even increasingly popular, dining attraction.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-26-15 at 11:58 AM.

End of an era indeed! This will be the first time that no restaurant anywhere is owned and operated by a member of the Muer family since the original Joe Muer Sea Food opened on Gratiot in 1929. That, my friends, is a hell of a run for a family to operate restaurants.

For those fans of the Muer style of restaurant - which did vary a bit from family member to family member, but not enormously - the good news is the Muer legacy lives on in several varieties. Of course you have Joe Muer's downtown, operated by the Vicari family; there is also, out in the suburbs, the Kruse and Muer restaurants which are very good, Steve and Rocky's in Novi is related to the family [[Chuck Rachwitz was for many years Chuck Muer's executive chef) and, if you happen to be in Grand Rapids, check out Leo's. Leo Beil, Jr. is the son of Chuck Muer's right-hand man Leo Beil, Sr. [[natch) and grew up in the Muer restaurants. I'm probably missing some - I think Craig Dilworth, who rose up within the Chuck Muer organization, is running a restaurant in the area, and there are others. I'm not sure the remaining few old Chuck Muer restaurants, such as Big Fish in Dearborn, which are now operated by the Landry's Seafood company, retain much if at all of what they were when Chuck was overseeing them before the tragic boating catastrophe in the early 90s.

I knew Chuck for many years, worked for him for a time and enjoyed many lovely meals at his restaurants [[plus Joe's, and some of the others I mentioned, and of course the one closing tonight) and I hope the others continue the legacy of fine but comfortable dining. Best of luck to Dave Muer and his staff.
    Last edited by professorscott; February-26-15 at 11:53 AM. Reason: correct a misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    End of an era indeed! This will be the first time that no restaurant anywhere is owned and operated by a member of the Muer family since the original Joe Muer Sea Food opened on Gratiot in 1929.
    Actually, the Harvard Grill, just a few blocks from Blue Pointe near Cadieux and Mack, is owned by David Muer's brother Mike.

Although Harvard Grill is more of a greasy spoon than a nice sit down restaurant. Very dirty inside, just look at the ceiling and the walls. It looks like the inside hasn't been wiped down in decades. Very bedraggled looking clientele too.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-26-15 at 03:56 PM.

MAcc Guest

For every new flash in the pan restaurant there are a dozen struggling to keep the doors open.

Harvard Grill is owned by Muer. Mack avenue, gp side. Nice place.

I don't particulary mourn Blue Pointe they were rude to families with kids. My kids were always well behaved. Haven't been there in years as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I don't particulary mourn Blue Pointe they were rude to families with kids. My kids were always well behaved. Haven't been there in years as a result.
    My family used to go there when I was a kid and I don't remember that. I do remember they had the best apple pie I've ever had in my life.

We have dined with our children there many times in the past as well. We were always treated graciously by the owner and his staff. We never saw any rude treatment to anybody there whether with children or without.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-26-15 at 05:22 PM.

Joe Muer on Gratiot used to have people lined up out the door to get in. [[No reservations) Towards the end there was no line. I know the reason why, the food became crappy.

We were dragged to Blue Pointe a few times by visiting family, on account of the Muer name they still revered. Honestly, it was horrid and outrageously expensive for what it was. Service bordered on rude, and they had so much stuff jammed into the space it was difficult to get into the restroom, just for one example. Plus the live music we encountered at least once drowned our our dinner conversation.

It would have been easy for us to go frequently. Instead we avoided the place as much as possible. We won't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    We were dragged to Blue Pointe a few times by visiting family, on account of the Muer name they still revered. Honestly, it was horrid and outrageously expensive for what it was. Service bordered on rude, and they had so much stuff jammed into the space it was difficult to get into the restroom, just for one example. Plus the live music we encountered at least once drowned our our dinner conversation.

It would have been easy for us to go frequently. Instead we avoided the place as much as possible. We won't miss it.
    Thank you for support. Only once did our kids ever act out, different restaurant on Warren. We simply asked to have our order become a carry out. People like to enjoy a meal when out, screaming kids can be hugely annoying. My husband sat in the car with kids while I waited for the food. Wish other restaurant patrons were as polite.

In a nutshell Blue Pointe sucked, won't miss it

So in short, are we concluding that Blue Pointe's downfall was the combined result of:

*The worsening Michigan economy [[thus fewer people being able to afford what they offer).

*Shifting demographics [[many of the folks who may have previously patronized the restaurant have fleed the city for the suburbs).

*Its customer base's change in taste [[people aren't really into the formal/intimate dine-in restaurants like they used to be).

*Poor management [[either they didn't want to adapt to the changing environment around them or they were completely oblivious to the changing environment around them)?

I can say it easier, lousey customer service, sucky food at big prices.

I remember when it was Lombadi's, then Dave took over in 1982 ran it under that name for a year and then changed to Blue Pointe. We ate there quite often over the years and will miss Angelo, a truly professional waiter and Dave and his staff. We ran into several East Siders, Grosse Pointers etc. each time we were there. Very friendly crowd, good food at a reasonable price. We will miss the Blue Pointe.

Dined at the Blue Pointe many times over the years. Always enjoyed the unabashedly retro vibe. No worries about keeping up with the latest cool trend. Happened to be in the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and stopped in for dinner. It was excellent from start to finish.

Mr. Muer mentions that business has slowed. Whenever one dined there, it was hard not to notice the absence of black diners. This in a 80% black neighborhood. Why weren't black folks patronizing a simple steak, fish and pasta place that was one of the only non-coney island, non-soul food restaurants right in their own back yard? Could more have been attempted by Mr. Muer to make the place a destination for neighborhood residents? Black folks' avoidance of the place seems like kind of a cultural mystery.

Unfortunately, another closure of a significant locally owned small business there does confirm that challenges exist in that East Warren Ave. neighborhood. Hopefully the lender will find another restauranteur to take on the space.

Used to take mom there almost every Sunday in the 90's - The glacial pace of the service drove me crazy, but she liked it and the minestrone soup was good. Haven't been there in years even though it's almost right around the corner. I do hope to see someone else try to make a go of it.
    As as aside, I worked as a bus boy at the original Joe Muers in the early 70's - My first union job. Made great money but had to quit as there was a chickenhawk waiter who wouldn't leave me alone. Managment knew about him but couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it. Would have stayed if he had taken no for an answer the first time but he wouldn't.

Tell us how you really feel Sumas.

I was in that building a lot more when Lombardis. Or the BBQ down the street.

A couple of years ago the NYT Sunday Magazine had an issue devoted to restaurants, and one writer posited the idea of a "thirty year arc" in the rise and fall of many restaurants. While the notion may seem overly facile, it does seem to embrace the biggest part of a dedicated owner's working lifetime, and many restaurants do evidence just such a career span. For just one example: I was a huge fan of the late "Ye Olde Steakhouse" in Windsor, which was a great place from the late 60s to the late 90s, but went steadily downhill thereafter. Perhaps the pattern may occur to others with regard to their own favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Tell us how you really feel Sumas.

I was in that building a lot more when Lombardis. Or the BBQ down the street.
    That was funny and yes I can be quite blunt. Quite aware of my short comings un like a few others on the board.

Pointe BBQ across the street boomed for years, then closed. Muer family bought it but I don't they ever re-opened it. Then there was a tiny pizza place up the street I think called Dominics. They converted to elegant high end Italian cuisine and it was fantastic. They ended up closing, I suspect the sitting was just too limited to sustain their vision