Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rub Pub downtown scrapping BBQ, going hipster

Just in time for Opening Day, starts March 29.

"It's changing from a sports-friendly barbecue joint to Cykel, a bicycle-friendly bar and restaurant with vegetarian options and shareable plates, writes Melody Baetens of the Detroit News."

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...u#.VO8v5PnF8er

Good move - Rub was mediocre BBQ, not as good as Redsmoke and nowhere near as good as Slows. Don't know about the bicycle theme when you're across the street from the stadiums, though.

Too bad. I really liked this place. Obviously they're trying to attract a local demographic that will give them business 7 days a week but it takes a lot of revenue to replace the 130 days that the sports teams provide. Not sure how many bikes would have rolled up this past Jan & Feb. That being said, I was surprised when I was there the week of the auto show and the waiter said, ``At least we open. Hockeytown doesn`t even open most weeknights.``

Agree about the BBQ. Oversaturated market with 2 high quality places within a couple miles [[3 if you count Slows-to-go). For me though, the food was not even close to their biggest problem. Two questions I have:

1. Will they still have 50+ beers on draft? They had one of the best beer selections downtown [[which was basically their #1 quality).

2. Will serving new food under a new theme improve the service? Rub has always had some of the worst service in all of Detroit, especially downtown.

"Theme" isn't the problem there. Management, service, and cooking is. Trading in one trend for another isn't going to help for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    "Theme" isn't the problem there. Management, service, and cooking is. Trading in one trend for another isn't going to help for very long.
    Well, they did hire a new manager, so we'll see. I'll definitely give them a shot when they open it up.

Cycling theme seems fairly unique, and definitely a less occupied space. Let the pros handle the BBQ. Fascinated to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Too bad. I really liked this place. Obviously they're trying to attract a local demographic that will give them business 7 days a week but it takes a lot of revenue to replace the 130 days that the sports teams provide. Not sure how many bikes would have rolled up this past Jan & Feb. That being said, I was surprised when I was there the week of the auto show and the waiter said, ``At least we open. Hockeytown doesn`t even open most weeknights.``
    Why are we assuming the sport crowd won't go there? If they keep the beer flowing, the sports fans will still patronize them.

Went once, never went back. The food was bad and barely luke warm when it was brought out to our group. With RedSmoke and Slows close by, there was never a second thought to the place.

they are trying to capitalize on the slow roll phenomenon. i enjoy slow roll as much as the next person, but it is somewhat humorous to see it go from a bike ride for people to meet and grab a drink, to a "movement", to apple commercials and now showing up in restaurant form.

This theme is kind of a head scratcher for me but I don't ride much....but I wish them luck and I'll certainly check it out. I think it'd be interesting to have one of those bike sharing/rental systems set up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Why are we assuming the sport crowd won't go there? If they keep the beer flowing, the sports fans will still patronize them.
    Exactly.

They will be packed during game days, regardless of the theme of the bar. It is a good idea to change up the the theme in order to attract locals who will fill the bar when there are no games or events at the CoPa and Ford Field.