Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fieger: I'd pass on alleged carjacker's cop abuse case

Andrew Jackson Jr. says police violated his civil rights during his arrest as a suspect in the gunpoint carjacking of a grandmother and her two grandkids.

Jackson is also suing for lost wages ...... !

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rest/23986523/

It makes me happy that they punched and kicked this dirtbag repeatedly. I'll bet the women he robbed at gunpoint were terrified beyond belief. The harm he caused to them far outweighs any harm the police might have caused to him. They're definitely the good guys in this situation.

What exactly are the "lost wages" for a carjacker? Book value of the car he stole? Do you deduct damages he caused to the car?

What a fucked up society. People need to make it a bad idea for carjackers to try and take cars at gunpoint. A couple examples would do the trick.

In Brazil his fate would have been far worse.

Police can't be allowed to take extra shots at criminals. If there was wrongdoing here, then punish the cops with a couple days unpaid leave and training. Don't reward the criminal.

He's riding this suit on the coat tails of the recent LEO misconduct cases and the politics therein. So in his mind it only reasonable that he respond with a case.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Police can't be allowed to take extra shots at criminals.
    Criminals like this one are the reason that nightsticks and four battery flashlights were invented. Lots of time young kids were spared criminal records going forward by some "on the spot" corrective action.

This thread was started around 7am... I'll be curious to see if 24 hours goes by without someone starting up with some "we can't have cops acting like that" and/or "the cops should be fired/charged" talk... Post #4 was leaning that way, but eased up a bit
    Last edited by Vic01; February-26-15 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Criminals like this one are the reason that nightsticks and four battery flashlights were invented. Lots of time young kids were spared criminal records going forward by some "on the spot" corrective action.
    Kid or not, if you point a gun at a driver and try to take their car you need more than a record.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    This thread was started around 7am... I'll be curious to see if 24 hours goes by without someone starting up with some "we can't have cops acting like that" and/or "the cops should be fired/charged" talk...
    I think police brutality is getting out of hand. I think that police departments lack proper oversight and regulation. I think this guy deserves what he got, and the police acted appropriately in this situation. It's the Indian guy whose crime was walking down the street whom is now paralyzed after being tackled by an officer that I have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think police brutality is getting out of hand. I think that police departments lack proper oversight and regulation. I think this guy deserves what he got, and the police acted appropriately in this situation. It's the Indian guy whose crime was walking down the street whom is now paralyzed after being tackled by an officer that I have a problem with.
    I think criminal brutality is getting out of hand.

I think one can reasonably hold both views here: that carjacking is despicable and this guy deserves to go jail for a long time and have this case thrown out, and that police should be more professional in their administration of the law and not take extra "shots" at suspects who are already subdued. These thoughts don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

The only reason the Geoff Feiger did not take this case is that he knows there is virtually zero chance of a verdict going in the plaintiff's favor. No favorable verdict, no award. No award, no legal fees to collect.

Feiger did not decline the case for any virtuous reasons. It was money, or lack thereof, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think one can reasonably hold both views here: that carjacking is despicable and this guy deserves to go jail for a long time and have this case thrown out, and that police should be more professional in their administration of the law and not take extra "shots" at suspects who are already subdued. These thoughts don't seem mutually exclusive to me.
    I agree with Eastside.

I feel no sympathy for the criminal, but at the same time we need our cops to be law abiding. It's not their job to dish out street justice.

I'm not even totally convinced that excessive force was used in this case, the video wasn't very conclusive to me. I just don't agree with the "Let the cops beat them" mindset.

This is America, we have laws, rules, and processes.

This guy needs to get a "go fund me" campaign rolling...

He is after all a "Victim of Circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think police brutality is getting out of hand. I think that police departments lack proper oversight and regulation. I think this guy deserves what he got, and the police acted appropriately in this situation. It's the Indian guy whose cysrime was walking down the street whom is now paralyzed after being tackled by an officer that I have a problem with.
    Perhaps there should be a guidebook. The police can kick and punch certain suspects after they are apprehended and are not a threat, but not others.

Unfortunately, the more you "look the other way" when there are instances of abuse, the more likely it is that you're going to have more instances where "walking while Indian" is a crime punishable with paralysis.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-26-15 at 01:17 PM.

Good for Fieger! He look at the police videotape and sought the black male did a crime. He got arrested but took a beating. But it just a simple kicks to keep him down. How if Fieger look at the tape and actions of abuse from the police that look like out of Rodney King, then he will pursue a civil rights violation case the police force.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Agree too. While it seems likely this perp is a POS and will deservedly be convicted, he is innocent until that point in time.

To take glee in some cop illegally teeing off on him might make some feel good but it is bad both for the law and the governments who hire these rogue cops when the day comes, as it has many times, when they mistakenly assault the truly innocent person.

Impoverished cities like the City of Detroit, and in this case Highland Park, have paid tens of millions of dollars in police misconduct settlements.

They can not afford a penny more for such needless behavior. We will already likely pay $30-40K a year to punish this suspect, now we have to pay thousands to defend against his case with all the legal costs, lost wages for police testimony and more and maybe the outside chance he may even win.

This didn't need to happen from all I can see. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Perhaps there should be a guidebook. The police can kick and punch certain suspects after they are apprehended and are not a threat, but not others.
    I agree with you in general. However, I saw the video, and I think there's enough going on to give the officers the benefit of a doubt in this case.