Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Northland Target to close

Update: Judge Rules to Close Northland. Jump to Update Discussion >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well the end is nigh. I find it ironic, I suppose, that the successor to Hudson's, is closing for the
    same reason the predecessor did. Loss of revenue and population and probably age of the store. Macy's will probably follow suit soon too. The once great mall that was built by Hudson's is finding its end in the same way the downtown store did.

http://pressroom.target.com/news/tar...store-closures
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; November-04-14 at 02:43 PM.

Wow, death knell... The only anchor left will be Macy's and that Macy's is always empty.

The last time I was at the Northland Macy's [[about two years ago) All the really good merchandise was on lockdown, and the rest of the mall looked abandoned. Ditto for Eastland Mall.

The Monroe Mall [[Frenchtown) is going to be down to one anchor as well [[Penny's and Sears have left it). Monroe's outlet mall is also undergoing a discussion to get rid of it entirely and replace it with industrial uses in anticipation of the New Bridge.

Bay City kind of makes sense it is probably the Northernmost Target on the East Side of the State. [[not sure if there is one West in TC or Petoskey). It is on the N side of town and there is a Target on the N side of Saginaw that is not that far. At the same time however I am fairly sure that K-mart is also closing their final Bay City Store which would mean more market share for Target.

I wonder if Eastland's Target will be next...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Loss of revenue and population and probably age of the store.
    Isn't that a relatively new Target? I know it's not as old as the Target location at Wonderland, and maybe even newer than the one in Dearborn[[?).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I wonder if Eastland's Target will be next...
    Probably. I know that Target Eastland had one of the highest theft/merchandise loss rates out of any Target in the country. That was 5 years ago though so i am not sure where it stands now. You know you have problems when you have to lock down a lot of your normal merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Probably. I know that Target Eastland had one of the highest theft/merchandise loss rates out of any Target in the country. That was 5 years ago though so i am not sure where it stands now. You know you have problems when you have to lock down a lot of your normal merchandise.
    They still get plenty of shoppers there last time I frequented it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Isn't that a relatively new Target? I know it's not as old as the Target location at Wonderland, and maybe even newer than the one in Dearborn[[?).
    The Eastland and Northland Target opened I believe in the mid 1990s, replacing the Kohl's/MainStreet locations that were shuttered.

But that was when Michigan's economy was booming, and the outer neighborhoods of Detroit were still relatively stable/affluent.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-04-14 at 06:08 PM.

Face it folks Northland Mall is dying! Replace by ghetto marts. Most white kids don't shop there no more mostly black folks!. Macy's will be the only anchor shore left. When its gone so will Northland Mall.

This is stupid. Even stupider is the inevitable announcement for an exurbs-based outlet, totally avoiding Detroit proper.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    They still get plenty of shoppers there last time I frequented it.

But how many bypass the cash register on their way out?

Eastland Target may have a loss problem [[I can't tell you how many times I have picked up a package of diapers or a box of crackers to find it open and missing pieces), but they do have lots of paying customers. All of the Grosse Pointes shop there, as well as people in Harper Woods and the East Side of Detroit. We love our Target, shitty as it may sometimes be.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Eastland Target may have a loss problem [[I can't tell you how many times I have picked up a package of diapers or a box of crackers to find it open and missing pieces), but they do have lots of paying customers. All of the Grosse Pointes shop there, as well as people in Harper Woods and the East Side of Detroit. We love our Target, shitty as it may sometimes be.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

That Target is the only option as far as a discount "department" store for miles, unlike the Target store at Northland...

Looks like the mall is in worse shape than just losing Target...

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...sure/20782137/

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Looks like the mall is in worse shape than just losing Target...

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...sure/20782137/
    the Northland property should be demolished and converted to residential townhouses/apartments/lofts.

I feel bad to see Northland mall die-out like this. It was mall of my teen years; one of the first large ones. Had an nice floor plan [[unlike that multi-floor maze of Fairlane) and awesome patio and other amenities in its heyday. The Macy's is sparse in regards to their offerings. Though the furniture store is suppose to have the best deals for what furniture that remains.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the Northland property should be demolished and converted to residential townhouses/apartments/lofts.
    Yes. Build the Brewster Projects North.

Not exactly, if you're willing to go slightly south-west or already west, just go down Greenfield a few miles south and there's a Target on Greenfield and Ford Rd. Dearborn that is booming busy. And there's another Target in Dearborn Hght. on Ford Rd. a bit past Telegraph.

I'm not a big Target shopper where ever they are but they get plenty of business, even the one at Northland did.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense.

That Target is the only option as far as a discount "department" store for miles, unlike the Target store at Northland...

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Oakland County doesn't even have the cash to tear down Summit Place Mall on Telegraph & Elizabeth Lk, or the Bloomfield Park failure at Telegraph and Square Lk [[...or the Silverdome). All of which sit on property vastly more valuable than Northland Mall. Northland will be vacant blight for 40+ years. The Detroit creep has officially taken over southern Oakland County.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not exactly, if you're willing to go slightly south-west or already west, just go down Greenfield a few miles south and there's a Target on Greenfield and Ford Rd. Dearborn that is booming busy. And there's another Target in Dearborn Hght. on Ford Rd. a bit past Telegraph.

I'm not a big Target shopper where ever they are but they get plenty of business, even the one at Northland did.
    I was referring to the Eastland Target...

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Oakland County doesn't even have the cash to tear down Summit Place Mall on Telegraph & Elizabeth Lk, or the Bloomfield Park failure at Telegraph and Square Lk [[...or the Silverdome). All of which sit on property vastly more valuable than Northland Mall. Northland will be vacant blight for 40+ years. The Detroit creep has officially taken over southern Oakland County.
    While I hardly doubt that it's going to sit for 40 years [[but they probably said that about Packard too), when will LBP sell the SE Corner of Oakland County to Wayne County?

"It's becoming to undesirable. It's not sprawly enough."

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    Right cause Ferndale, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Berkley, Birmingham, Pleasant Ridge, etc. are really deteriorating significantly and are in a state of abandonment.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Right cause Ferndale, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Berkley, Birmingham, Pleasant Ridge, etc. are really deteriorating significantly and are in a state of abandonment.
    True, but go a mile or so off Woodward in both directions south of, say, Maple, and I think there's some modest decline. Maple and John R doesn't look as good as it did 20 years ago. It sorta looks like crap.

Yeah but Maple east of Crooks never looked good ever. What really looks bad to me are the subdivisions built in the 70's and 80's in Troy, Sterling Hts etc.. Pretty much the whole of Warren.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast