Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Finally Spoke Up!

I am so pleased with the city council election results, especially to see Martha Reeves & Monica Conyers GONE. In fact they should had never been on the council. They're nothing but crooks and a washed up singer from the 50's. However, I am disappointed that we didn't have more candidates from other race & ethnic backgrounds. I feel that if were going to be a metropolitan city and region as Chicago or Dallas, we have to stress DIVERSITY. So long the city administration and school board have been in the hands of uneducated African Americans who were simply voted for because of name recognition. Those days are over. This proves that a newer generation is embracing change and wants to see a more successful Detroit where there is diversity not only in city government, but even in city neighborhoods. I enjoy driving through Corktown or in the Lafayette District where I live, seeing a diverse group of people. If Detroit is ever going to be a much progressive city, we have to embrace DIVERSITY and stop trying to relive the civil rights days of the 60's. Let’s get past that. What happened then happened, we have to concentrate on the future or there may not be a Detroit standing.

While I agree with your post 100%, it is amazing to me that anytime something becomes heavily black it needs to be diversified. If it's heavily white then it's just that the best people for the job are in place. This sentiment always amazes me and it has a strong support base on this site.

Martha Reeves mistake is those misleading political campaign posters claiming she is a active member of Motown and other organizations and not paying her bills on time. Way to go Devin Scillian you get rid of her for us.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Isn't news media great or what! They can say baised words and people will believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    While I agree with your post 100%, it is amazing to me that anytime something becomes heavily black it needs to be diversified. If it's heavily white then it's just that the best people for the job are in place. This sentiment always amazes me and it has a strong support base on this site.
    really? i haven't found this to be true at all. everyone i know points out the evils of gentrification if an area is all white, or even if white people start to move in.