Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    It was actually both.... Kirbys was the restaurant, Holiday Inn was a HJ motor lodge.
    The Holiday Inn Express is newer built, the HJ lodge was demolished many years ago. However, the Kirby's building was originally a HJ restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I have long blamed myself for the demise of that Howard Johnsons......A week later the place was closed.
    You must've eaten a helluva lot of food!

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTrap View Post
    Definitely agree with the above post concerning the delicacy of their coffee fudge ice cream.
    In the 60s my parents and I stopped at a particular HoJo on the PA Turnpike while returning to South Jersey from visiting relatives, and the Black Raspberry ice cream was to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    In the 60s my parents and I stopped at a particular HoJo on the PA Turnpike while returning to South Jersey from visiting relatives, and the Black Raspberry ice cream was to die for.
    Black Raspberry was terrific ... later in their demise HoJo IC had Heath Bar chunks - don't recall the name, tho'.

Sorry this isn't purely D-related, but [[for nostalgia's sake) the last Howard Johnson Restaurant in the universe is in Lake George, NY:
    Name:  lakegeorge15.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  33.8 KB

Tendersweet Fried Clams
    Our famous clam strips freshly breaded in our special mix and fried golden brown
    Name:  hojoclams.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by beachboy; December-01-18 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post

Tendersweet Fried Clams
    Our famous clam strips freshly breaded in our special mix and fried golden brown
    Name:  hojoclams.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  78.9 KB
    Those clams were my favorite. I was too young to know what they were called so I order french fried rubber bands. Everyone had a laugh.

Now my mouth is watering.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-01-18 at 08:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2