Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit to Get Applebee's at 8 Mile and Woodward

"In the latest sign of economic rebound, Detroit could soon be getting its first Applebee's restaurant.

The proposed Applebee's would be built at the corner of 8 Mile and Woodward in the new Gateway Marketplace shopping center that is anchored by a Meijer superstore.

Construction could begin in June [[pending land-use approvals), and the location could open before year's end, according to Mark Schostak, executive chairman of TEAM Schostak Family Restaurants, which will be opening and operating the restaurant."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...roit/23880925/

It's not earth-shattering, but it's still a sign in the right direction. Although it is on the border of Detroit...

Don't kid yourself this is huge. We are one step closer to a Cheesecake Factory!

Won't make up for losing Stanley's Other Place.

Ah the Cheesecake Factory joke....I never thought I'd be happy to see an Applebee's, but I am. It's investment. There are jobs involved [[cue the liveable wage naysayers here). Not only that, it's good to hear that the Gateway is doing so well and that people from Ferndale, RO, and Detroit are using it. I find this to be an encouraging sign that at least a small part of the 8 mile wall is breaking down.
    Last edited by dmike76; February-23-15 at 02:55 PM.

^^^ I agree. I was getting tired of always having to go over the Woodward/ 8 mile hill heading north for more options.

I haven' been to an Applebee's since they got rid of the Apple Chimicheesecake, but this may break me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Ah the Cheesecake Factory joke....I never thought I'd be happy to see an Applebee's, but I am. It's investment. There are jobs involved [[cue the liveable wage naysayers here). Not only that, it's good to hear that the Gateway is doing so well and that people from Ferndale, RO, and Detroit are using it. I find this to be an encouraging sign that at least a small part of the 8 mile wall is breaking down.
    Yeah, the crowd on a busy Sunday at the Meijer is an absolute cross-section of humanity - old, young, rich, poor, black, white, gay, straight, kids, no kids, etc. It's pretty cool to see.

Now, if only they'd open up a few more registers during the busy times...

Who'd thunk 8 Mile and Woodward would have become a major shopping destination?
    Last edited by animatedmartian; February-23-15 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Who'd thunk 8 Mile and Woodward would have become a major shopping destination?
    It makes sense, given the dense population surrounding it [[including some well-off households on both sides of 8 Mile), the average daily traffic on both roads, and actually decent transit service.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    It makes sense, given the dense population surrounding it [[including some well-off households on both sides of 8 Mile), the average daily traffic on both roads, and actually decent transit service.
    transit what a joke my friend has to walk from kelly road and 8 mile to van dyke almost everyday, since, the DDOT hardley ever shows up, least she catchs the SMART bus fron there

The article says:

Schostak said the Applebee's would be the first national casual-dining chain in Detroit outside of the central business district.

That's not true...I can think of three. Can anyone name them? Or think of more than three? And I'm thinking full sit-down, waited-on service, so Olga's doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    The article says:

Schostak said the Applebee's would be the first national casual-dining chain in Detroit outside of the central business district.

That's not true...I can think of three. Can anyone name them? Or think of more than three? And I'm thinking full sit-down, waited-on service, so Olga's doesn't count.
    It's a technicality, but the Red Robin on Ford Rd is in Detroit.

The article says:

I found that hard to believe, but I can't think of any examples. What are the three you're thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It's a technicality, but the Red Robin on Ford Rd is in Detroit.
    Some will say an 8\Woodward Applebee's is a technicality too!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Some will say an 8\Woodward Applebee's is a technicality too!
    Probably, but most people don't realize that all of the big box stores and hotels [[most people don't realize there is a DoubleTree Hotel in Detroit that's not downtown) on the north side of Ford Rd. are in Detroit because of the quirkiness of the city's border around there. However, everybody knows that south of 8 Mile is Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Won't make up for losing Stanley's Other Place.
    Nobody's gonna miss that place. They allegedly were serving cats out of that joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Nobody's gonna miss that place. They allegedly were serving cats out of that joint.
    And what condiment does one have on that?

The article says:

Red Robin and Chili's on Ford Road, and the IHOP on E. Jefferson Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    And what condiment does one have on that?
    Meow Mix...

Anything national is being shut out of the downtown and midtown areas. Only local retail is being allowed to open in the downtown area or businesses that's owned by someone who was once a Michigander

ASR89 wins! Those are the three I was thinking of.

There's also a Big Boy on E Jefferson, but that's debatable as to whether that's a national chain.

Any we're missing? A pathetic number, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    Meow Mix...
    Thank you for not picking the obvious one. However, you have failed your entrance exam for Bazooka Joe Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That's the same rumor that I believe to the demise of the original Stanley's on Baltimore...

The trolls will start chiming in with "rampant dine & dash" commentary- which will hopefully get ignored.
    who will be the owner of this particular franchise outlet? do they run other Applebee's in the region?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    who will be the owner of this particular franchise outlet? do they run other Applebee's in the region?
    The answers to both of your questions can be found in the article linked to in the original post.

Will they have paper towels in the rest rooms or just those air dryers for hands?
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-23-15 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast