Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DPD career in a nutshell

Posted this on facebook today; thought I'd share it here. Take your shots.

My dpd career in a nutshell. Top left: Cadet, 1955. Police Officer [[next two), 1959 [[the non-uniform shot was for internal affairs in case I ever screwed up!). Bottom left: Promoted to Detective, #10 DB, 1969. Bottom Center, Promoted to uniform Sgt., 1971. Bottom right: Left Motorcycle Traffic for Chief's Staff assignment, 1976. Center....I dunno, just a random shot to wrap it all up. Shulda made Lt. in 1976, but "affirmative action" put a number of "others" in front of me. Bugged me at the time, but today I don't GAF.
    Last edited by Ray1936; February-23-15 at 12:57 PM.

Great Photos Ray. Maybe you're the guy that can enlighten me on something. My cousin Michael Graham recently passed away, he was a former crime reporter for the Detroit Free Press. In looking at his accomplishments I found that he recently wrote a book detailing the kidnapping of a young boy in Detroit the week before Christmas in the early seventies and how the investigation unfolded. http://www.amazon.com/The-Snow-Angel.../dp/1936182351 . Do you recall this case as it seems it would have been pretty high profile? Also I know the Dept was big but was wondering if you knew Miles Perks, Bob Thompson, Larry Jordan or Jim Collins. Collins was mounted division.

No, don't recall any specific case from back then. The name Miles Perks rings a bell, but the grey cells won't kick out any more. Mike Graham strikes a good bell as a Freep byline; I'm sure I read most of his stuff back in the day.

Thanks Ray. I was curious about Jordan and Thompson because Jordan was a LT in Harts office and Thompson was my brother in law, he was a Motor cop who was killed while off duty in a car wreck. A far as Michael goes he always had some good stories about DPD at the family Christmas parties. His brother Doug co-wrote Jimmy B and Andre. One last question, Is there someplace at DPD headquarters that list all of the past Chiefs of Police. It's my understanding that my Great Grandfather was a former Chief of DPD.

Love the pix, Ray, what a great timeline!

It's nice to put a face to the screen name!

You witnessed a lot of change in Detroit and the country throughout your career.

Nice pics. Promotions are still a bit strange in DPD. Have relatives in the force.

I do hope you see posts I've made regarding the 7th. Great group, excellent response time, good community relations. The EMS, the best and always kudos to our fire fighters.

Its a hard job. Glad you weathered the changes. Never minded people leaving Detroit, just people trashing Detroit once gone.

Always enjoy your posts.

Nice pictures Ray but, dang, what were they thinking with thinking with those number boards. At first glance I thought they were mug shots of perps. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Posted this on facebook today; thought I'd share it here. Take your shots.

My dpd career in a nutshell. Top left: Cadet, 1955. Police Officer [[next two), 1959 [[the non-uniform shot was for internal affairs in case I ever screwed up!). Bottom left: Promoted to Detective, #10 DB, 1969. Bottom Center, Promoted to uniform Sgt., 1961. Bottom right: Left Motorcycle Traffic for Chief's Staff assignment, 1976. Center....I dunno, just a random shot to wrap it all up. Shulda made Lt. in 1976, but "affirmative action" put a number of "others" in front of me. Bugged me at the time, but today I don't GAF.
    NOW I recognize you! Hey, can I have my roach clip back?

At the police precinct on W. Grand Blvd, there are a ton of pictures posted. Not sure if all the prior chiefs are there, but one wall has all the officers killed in the line of duty.

Was 12139 your badge number?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Was 12139 your badge number?
    No, that was my DPD mug shot number. Badge numbers? 3657 as P.O., D-311 as Det., and S-766 as Sgt. Then there was my C of D employee number, different yet.

Sumas, I read most of your posts. They are always so upbeat it makes me feel good about the old town's future. Many thanks.
    Last edited by Ray1936; February-23-15 at 05:14 PM.

Be careful Ray, I might be your neighbor one day. I hate Michigan winters. Someone asked me once why I stayed here and I simply said, family! Now, I realized this winter all my family I cared about are gone.

Missed an important community meeting last night, sub zero temps and lack of parking were a consideration. I really do have great neighbors so someone will give me an update.

Unlikely we will leave Detroit but can dream about warmer climes. Thinking about installing a pool to enjoy in summer. Didn't last year cause I worried about being responsible for area kids. Their house burnt down. no one harmed. Thank God. I miss them!

So many programs exist to help but as an officer I am sure you can appreciate why some people want to be under the radar.

Next winter I think we will go into survivalist mode and plain old hibernate. Detroit communities are survivalists. Don't believe what you read, Detroit will do fine. The neighborhoods have managed with no help from city hall but looks like that might be turning around with the new admin.

Just want to say thank you for your years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    Thanks Ray. I was curious about Jordan and Thompson because Jordan was a LT in Harts office and Thompson was my brother in law, he was a Motor cop who was killed while off duty in a car wreck. A far as Michael goes he always had some good stories about DPD at the family Christmas parties. His brother Doug co-wrote Jimmy B and Andre. One last question, Is there someplace at DPD headquarters that list all of the past Chiefs of Police. It's my understanding that my Great Grandfather was a former Chief of DPD.
    The position before 1974 was Superintendent and Commissioner:
    Name:  chief list.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  55.2 KB

Great thread Ray. I was just thinking the other day that a picture is worth like a thousand words.I remember you posted a photo once of you, possibly in front of your house on your police motorcycle. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not, I thought that was your best photo.

Attachment 25966

OK, this is the one. 1966?

Just curious, after you retired, how long did you stick around Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Great thread Ray. I was just thinking the other day that a picture is worth like a thousand words.I remember you posted a photo once of you, possibly in front of your house on your police motorcycle. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not, I thought that was your best photo.

OK, this is the one. 1966?

Just curious, after you retired, how long did you stick around Detroit?
    Yeah, that be me in 1966. I went to Google street view not long ago and found the two houses across the street burned to the ground.

My last working minute was 4:00 p.m., July 13, 1984. Twelve hours later, the U-Haul was loaded and we were on our way to Las Vegas for good. [[I had flown out a month earlier and rented a house with option to buy....we bought it......)

Do you remember booster cars with tommy gun.....

Just a long shot but did you know Bill Dillon. He worked on the east side in the Mack/St. Aubin area.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Do you remember booster cars with tommy gun.....
    Not Booster cars, but the Cruisers [[The Big Four) had one in each car. Thompson 1918, .45 caliber. Only time I fired one was at the Rouge Range. Instructor said, "Lean into it or it will climb". I didn't lean. It climbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    Just a long shot but did you know Bill Dillon. He worked on the east side in the Mack/St. Aubin area.
    Sorry to say I didn't know him. But then, I was pretty much a west sider. The east side of Detroit was somewhere around Walpole Island for all I knew.

I am so eastside. My sisters are way older than me. We had an officer living next door and he hated teens with a purple passion. He used to arrest my oldest sisters boy friends even off duty.

Not every officer is normal. Que sera!

Maybe you could suggest a motorcycle worth buying for our oldest son. He likes classics. He just bought a car older than my husband. Actually its really hot, he should be buying a house but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post

Maybe you could suggest a motorcycle worth buying for our oldest son. He likes classics. He just bought a car older than my husband. Actually its really hot, he should be buying a house but each to their own.
    I've been away from motorcycles for so long that I've lost track of the current technology, so I'd pass on making a recommendation......but any bike by Harley will be a good one. Honda Gold Wing is a beauty, but I'm not sure about how they hold up.

My husband is leaning to the Indian. The "fastest Indian" was a great movie". He has no issues with Harleys, however. Hondas too quiet. Frankly don't want my son on a motorcycle, his lead foot and all.

Always thank you for years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Not Booster cars, but the Cruisers [[The Big Four) had one in each car. Thompson 1918, .45 caliber. Only time I fired one was at the Rouge Range. Instructor said, "Lean into it or it will climb". I didn't lean. It climbed.
    Your right [[big-4), I worked with a retired PO back in the 1980's who told me many stories regarding the Cruisers & Thompson, luckily for him, the gun also climbed one day [[ceiling) during a raid [[it was the wrong house)....being a west-sider, you must have lived in or near Copper Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Your right [[big-4), I worked with a retired PO back in the 1980's who told me many stories regarding the Cruisers & Thompson, luckily for him, the gun also climbed one day [[ceiling) during a raid [[it was the wrong house)....being a west-sider, you must have lived in or near Copper Canyon.
    No, I lived at 20001 Houghton until 1977; moved on to Warwick in Rosedale Park that year. Made a nice profit on that Rosedale Park house when I sold it in 1984.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast