Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Are You Not Voting for Gary Brown Because...?

Are you not voting for Gary Brown because he is receiving a pension and won a lawsuit from the City of Detroit? On more than one occasion on the Mildred Gaddis Show callers have called in to say that they won't vote for Gary Brown because he is receiving a pension from Detroit, a lawsuit judgement from Detroit, and if he gets on council, he'll receive a $81,000 salary from Detroit. They feel that he'll be triple dipping into Detroit's funds. Is this a legitimate reason for not voting for Gary Brown? What are your thoughts?

If anyone selected those reasons for not voting for him rather than his work experience, and first hand knowledge on how the city has mis-operated than, than those people are plain and simply jealous because he's obviously in a better financial situation than themself.

A) He earned the pension by being a public servant
    B) He won that lawsuit by being a victim
    C) Everyone serving on council gets a salary.

Ridiculous argument from those callers, don't you think?

I'll bet most of those callers would vote Kwame K. back in if [[when) he runs.

I did not vote for Gary Brown because his vision statement, on his website, lacked vision. It only said vote for him because he has integrity. It didn't say he understands the city's budget and areas of "misoperation". I doubt that he would - having worked all his career with the city in the Police Department. He probably does not even understand all of DPD's complex budget. They are very hierarchical and I don't think he was in a budgetary decision-making position.

I'll watch and see if he says more about his vision and his philosophy now that the field has narrowed. I'd like to know how he's going to be innovative and I'd like to be a bit more assured that he is wise in decision-making.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I did not vote for Gary Brown because his vision statement, on his website, lacked vision. It only said vote for him because he has integrity. It didn't say he understands the city's budget and areas of "misoperation". I doubt that he would - having worked all his career with the city in the Police Department. He probably does not even understand all of DPD's complex budget. They are very hierarchical and I don't think he was in a budgetary decision-making position.

I'll watch and see if he says more about his vision and his philosophy now that the field has narrowed. I'd like to know how he's going to be innovative and I'd like to be a bit more assured that he is wise in decision-making.
    Locke, did you vote for Charles Pugh?

Back when I was living in Detroit a question about Gary Brown running came up. I wouldn't have voted for him either. The way I see it, until this thing with the mayor popped up he didn't talk about running, it wasn't on his mind. Why vote for someone who's only claim to fame is getting fired by a former mayor [[even if it was unjust)?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I'll bet most of those callers would vote Kwame K. back in if [[when) he runs.
    Most of the callers on Gaddis show hate Kilpatrick.

MCB Lawrence, had Gary Brown not been unjustly fired by Kilpatrick, maybe he would still be with the police department. He may have thought about running for council after retiring from DPD, but he was unjustly fired by Kilpatrick. How do you expect someone to come out and say that they plan to run for city council when they had no idea that they would be unjustly fired by their boss from a job that they had for over 20 years? Kwame Kilpatrick changed the future for Gary Brown. I don't think Gary Brown should be blamed for wanting to continue to serve the city but in a different capacity. Your argument for not voting for Gary Brown for the reason that you stated is weak, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Locke, did you vote for Charles Pugh?
    I did not vote for Charles Pugh. I admit to being biased against voting for a "celebrity". I was also biased against him because of his support for Kilpatrick, almost to the end. Now that there are only 18 people to concentrate on, I am looking at each candidate freshly to see what they are really about. If I still can't tell anything of substance about a candidate by late October, they will remain off my list.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I did not vote for Charles Pugh. I admit to being biased against voting for a "celebrity". I was also biased against him because of his support for Kilpatrick, almost to the end. Now that there are only 18 people to concentrate on, I am looking at each candidate freshly to see what they are really about. If I still can't tell anything of substance about a candidate by late October, they will remain off my list.
    --------------------------
    Awesome.

Integrity is one of the most important things going for anyone running for council. But to Gary Brown's credit he also has some intelligence, and knowledge of the way things should be done in Detroit. He knows who is crooked and who is not doing their job. He only decided to run after the KK debacle as a way to serve the city that he cared about. He isn't going to serve on council to screw the city like many of the current members.