Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What happened to smelt in the Great Lakes

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this topic but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I have trouble searching here.

Anyway I was talking with a couple of guys about fishing and we somehow got on the topic of smelt runs that used to be prevalent at Pt Pelee in Canada and the smelt runs in general in the Great Lakes. Although, there are still smelt in the Great Lakes the quantity seems to have dissipated substantially.

I am wondering if anyone out there has any theories or ideas as to why the huge loss of smelt in the Great Lakes? Tks

Some people attribute the decline of smelt to the increasing population of lake trout, which are feeding on the smelt. From what I've read, that's not conclusive though.

We still have a decent population in Lake Superior, but not like there were in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Some people attribute the decline of smelt to the increasing population of lake trout, which are feeding on the smelt. From what I've read, that's not conclusive though.

We still have a decent population in Lake Superior, but not like there were in the past.
    Tks for the answer. Someone told me, correctly or not I don't know, that the invasive species, for instance ale wives etc., where the cause.

Great Lakes Smelt may have been affected by Alewives and also by the introduction of Chinook and Coho Salmon, but my guess is the final nail in the coffin was most likely the actions of the Zebra and Quagga Mussels. These two invasive species are both filter feeders and have done a remarkable job in clearing the water in all of the Great Lakes. Smelt are not a huge fan of light and that's why they are most often encountered in the shallows only at night [[When the vast majority of smelt dipping normally occurred).

I wasn't around for the glory days back in the late 60's and early 70's when people used to fill garbage cans and even pickup truck beds in just one night, but I do remember doing some smelt dipping around Port Huron and up along the coast of Lake Huron. The last year I went was probably around 1999 or 2000 and in an entire night we might have filled half a 5 gallon bucket [[With 4 guys dip netting). Since then I've only heard of the occasional small run here in the Lower and a few very secretive spots in small U.P tributaries that still get decent runs.

Smelt themselves are an invasive species. They were imported into Michigan from a lake in Maine where a population got trapped after a spawn. they are salt water fish, freshwater spawners like salmon. Their population is a boom/bust cycle. the last big uptick in their population was actually after the invasive mussels had a foothold

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Smelt themselves are an invasive species. They were imported into Michigan from a lake in Maine where a population got trapped after a spawn. they are salt water fish, freshwater spawners like salmon. Their population is a boom/bust cycle. the last big uptick in their population was actually after the invasive mussels had a foothold
    Then perhaps the lack of fishing success is more of a issue of smelt behavior and not their population. If there was an uptick in the smelt population since the mussel explosion it hasn't led to an increase in the recreational harvest. Maybe the Smelt are there, but due to the clear conditions they are staying out deep as opposed to spawning in the shallows.

The Zebra Mussels have mostly been overtaken in the last few years by the Quagga mussels which do an even better job of clearing the water. When I was young we used to catch Walleye in Lake St. Clair 10ft from the boat in the middle of the day. You could only see a few feet down, which meant boat and light shy fish like Walleye were willing to work shallows and the entire water column even in the daytime. Now to get bites during the day you need to find stained water, run planer boards to get far way from the boat or seek out the deeper water of the shipping channel. Rarely do I catch them in the shallows anymore until after dark. If the Walleye have changed their habits so much do to the water clarity changes it makes sense that the Smelt may have as well.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-21-15 at 09:34 AM.

I have a vivid and smelly memory of smelt. In the early 70's I was working as a seasonal laborer for the city of Wyandotte. We were picking up trash in a over grown alley at the south end of town. I stepped out of the truck and into hundreds of rotting smelt some slob had dumped there.

Attachment 25943
    Always loved this one.

Smelt wrestling at the smelt carnival in Marinette Wi. 1939
    Photo from the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Thisnwill be a weak reply but I remember smelt from way back. The run was always around the beginning of April. Used to begin to get warm around then back there. Neighbor, his son and friends wou;d go ot on the assigned weekend morning. As mentioned above, buckets, 1/2 ton pick-ups whatever was available came back by that mid-afternoon. Smelt were distributed throughout the neighborhood to whoever wanted to clean and eat them.

My Dad always had our friend fill up the basement wash sinks. Hand us some scissors. Snip off the head. Zip open the belly. Clean out the guts. Ready for frying after being shaken in a paper bag full of all-purpose flour, salt and pepper. Maybe a little paprika. This was sort of a Lenten ritual. I can almost taste those almost crispy critters.

Almost every local west side bar had an annual or regular Friday smelt fry. Must have been annual, as the run was never too long. I am thinking Frankie's, maybe the Skyliner.

My aunt and uncle owned Little Eddie's on Beech Daly. Whole family would pitch in the annual smelt fry. My Dad was usually the fry cook. Brothers and sisters and cousins by the dozens made sure that everyone was gorged on the free fresh smelt, rye bread and butter, maybe french fries and buy your own beer. Busy, busy, busy that Saturday afternoon. Won a lot of quarters from the drinkers at the pool table even with my eye-glasses off.

Uncle Leo and Aunt Helen had seemingly quarellous disagreements with regulars from other neighboring bars who were attempting to crash the "private" free smelt fry.

Always ended up with Uncle Leo's favorite: Altes 12 oz cans, ice cold.
    Last edited by ronaldj; February-22-15 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling. one word

For professional information, we should contact MSU Extension and also the well informed out-door writernfor our local Free Press, Lydia Lohrer. I finally found a weathered copy from a few weeks ago and will be contacting her shortly.

ronaldj, great story. I can relate to that with a similar, or similar experiences. Beer, smelt, salt.

Old Guy:
    Thank you. Those were some great experiences.

I feel vindicated. I did not kill the thread.

Glad you are insomniacally [[made up the spelling. Should be a way to mash maniac in there. That was what I was hoping for) awake at this time too.
    Regards, Ronaldj

Ronaldj

Spent the summers of my youth south of Tawas. The smelt runs at the Singing Bridge on 23 were legendary.

Tks to all of you for the really great replies. I hope ronaldj can get some definitive answers from MSU and Lydia Loheer. Tks to all!

Awesome story Ronald! Seros up on 12 mile and 1-75 makes a decent if not remarkable fried Smelt dinner......

Detroit Free Press article on why the smelt disappeared 4/5/2015

In case it helps anyone, here's a link to that story:
    Smeltdown: Small fish continues Great Lakes vanishing act