Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Salt Mine Liability?

Some Facebook share mentioned the extensive salt mines under Detroit, and I had a weird flash.

What would happen if a much higher than average water level in the Great Lakes flooded them?

Would the salt dissolve into solution with the water...and then become a great liability to the city?!

There was a report recently about fracking lubricating the ground enough to perhaps cause subterranean movement. The issues were the perforating of the ground with the pressurized wells, and injecting salty water into the shale layers.

Would a liquified salt shelf, well-perforated with many mineshafts, undermine the city? I mean, we're 600 feet above sea level here. Could an analogous disaster happen with this?!

A shaft over a thousand feet into the ground has a higher potential than the relatively shorter drop of Niagara Falls, the famous and very unique equalizer of water levels from the equally famous and very unique collection of fresh water which surround our fair state.

This greater potential may have the effect of pressurizing the fresh water above it...by creating a negative potential UNDER the normal sea level. Nature abhors a vacuum, right?! Will do whatever it takes to return to equilibrium...kinda karmic, actually.

Is salt-water a more stable form of solution than either ingredient independent of each other? One would imagine so, as most of the Earth's water is the solution...although the normal evaporation function of Mother Nature's perpetual distillery churns up the mix constantly.

Always have to wonder why sea water and our blood are so similar...in pH, at least...and reportedly in other ways, too. I'll have to search out that article...someone had listed some very curious similarities. In addition to the rough ratio of solid/liquid of the Earth being similar to the human body. That one freaked me out when I heard it, but I never confirmed anything. Not yet, at least. Somehow I feel I'll be learning something through this exercise.

This has me a bit disturbed. Sorry to share, but my head might explode if I kept this stuff in.

No cheers on this one,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; February-19-15 at 12:02 AM.

And please, nobody ask why this isn't posted over in the Detroit side.

Thanks.

The salt mines are 1500 feet below ground and the salt vein runs all the way under Lake Erie to Buffalo.

I think if the collapse hasn't happened since the glaciers retreated, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

plus, if the salt mines collapsed, the lizard people would have no way to get around and we both know they would never let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The salt mines are 1500 feet below ground and the salt vein runs all the way under Lake Erie to Buffalo.

I think if the collapse hasn't happened since the glaciers retreated, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

plus, if the salt mines collapsed, the lizard people would have no way to get around and we both know they would never let that happen.

I was hoping to learn how far the shelf reached. Thanks.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for stasis, Gnome, but I thought the entire scientific community was united on the whole Global Warming warning and prognostication...and with a further 'retreat' of the glacier, water levels are supposed to rise somewhat...globally, although we'd only notice 'em locally. Such is the quandary of single-point mere human perception.

Surely, the Lizard people have their own maze of tunnels, Gnome, and I'm guessing many of their surface access points were destroyed back when humankind began boasting of killing all dragons. Except for at least that one that goes up into Cheney's Wyoming compound, apparently.

Cheers, thanks for playing along!

It would at least make a great action adventure movie.

Really, what is the worse thing that could happen?

the salt mines cave in and Livonia becomes waterfront property. Maybe we lose a chunk of Ohio which is hard to see a downside there and the lake levels fall a bit and all those yachts in Lake St. Clair are left high and dry. That will mean more jobs in construction and the medical field will prosper with all the casualties.

Frame it as a jobs program and Democrats will think it is progress.

John, have you read about the Lake Peigneur drilling disaster in Louisiana? It's pretty spectacular.

There are a lot of videos about it. I'm searching for a particularly good video but haven't found it yet.

I won't disparage you here, Gannon. Fact is, I've contemplated it for years ever since I had a bizarre dream I was touring around above the "half-submerged ruins of Detroit" from a helicopter. There was water that filled up well up towards Grand Circus Park. The helicopter pilot was pointing out the railway system sticking out, and the whole time I'm thinking "The People Mover doesn't go straight down Woodward". Probably won't come true; maybe I'm just Gabriel Byrne "losing my hat in the woods".

Yeah, unless you got some serious Lex Luthor style terrorism act, a Japanese cult-style "earthquake machine" [[was that in Fortean Times January 2002?-you may like December 2001, Gannon!)-like the kind assumed to be used in Australia [[hmmm, huge quake and tsunamis?---late 2004 or the kind that rocked the Fukushima Daiichi plant in 2011?), or some ugly Koch Bros. frakking action [[then again, it could be Mario Bros. just doing some clumsy plumbing action with their Bob-ombs).....who could say? Imagine what an unsalvageable mess of toxins and crud that would make. Worse than Katrina.

All I know is you got folks in Illinois and Wisconsin from both parties angry at the effects of frak mining.

I've posted about the speculations of how salt plays into our little pocket of eco-culture here [[the way lead does around Galena, Lacrosse, Dubuque...). So, I've wondered-does high-sodium [[and other prevalent toxins) keep the rat population lower here than in cities like Chicago, New York, and Boston? I mean we got roaches; that's no lie. It's just that rats were never that overwhelming here as in those other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    John, have you read about the Lake Peigneur drilling disaster in Louisiana? It's pretty spectacular.

There are a lot of videos about it. I'm searching for a particularly good video but haven't found it yet.
    Whoa. That's fucking incredible.

Thanks.

That is curious, G-DDT.

Thanks for the multiplier.

Some dreams can be disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Here's that video: Mysterious Louisiana Sinkhole Drains Entire Lake.

Back in the early fifties, there was quite a bit of discussion of using the salt mines to shelter the population of Detroit if the Russkies launch an H-bomb attack on the prime industrial target.

Great tasting soup with tap water.

I wonder if there is any salt mine liability? It almost seems as though a project of that scale would have thought through it over the years and created a plan that would protect them from being liable if there was some sort of disaster. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I wonder if there is any salt mine liability? It almost seems as though a project of that scale would have thought through it over the years and created a plan that would protect them from being liable if there was some sort of disaster. I would.
    Norway, Michigan [[up in da yoopee) had to move several blocks when the iron mines under the downtown collapsed [[was it Norway or Quinnesec?)

If worse comes to worse, we all know who will really come to save us:
    http://www.comicvine.com/aquaman-56-...it/4000-11303/

Got this from an aware mother of another Gannon on Facebook:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...f?detail=email

So, this concern is not without precedent. The scale is larger...but this is what I'm talking about.

The original story behind that DailyKos commentary.

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...na-texas-brine

Found this odd article [[not even in their list) from Mythic Detroit. http://www.mythicdetroit.org/index.p....RichardShaver Even if one doesn't subscribe to "Hollow Earth" oogie-boogie, at least one can flex their imaginations as to all the strange and dark operations [[undertaken by very human agencies) that can possibly be transpiring deep within the subterranean basements of Detroit's "abandoned" plants way out in secluded parts of the city.