Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gilbert aims to add apartments in historic Capitol Park

Quote Originally Posted by hewettbr View Post
    It is. It is very big news.

Wow - great news!

Great height for area, perfect usage [[residential), builds a street wall, adds retail...that's awesome.

Capitol Park is going to be so damn cool. I know they recently redid it, but it'd be nice if they added a little more green to the park itself...

I do have to imagine parking will become an issue in the area given the hundreds of new apartment coming online. I was actually expecting that lot to have a parking structure with ground floor retail...but am more than excited with this plan.

this is amazing!! if it times right i very well may be interested in moving there.. hope that these would be condos and not strictly for rent.

While the rendering is crude, i like the design of the building, i think it will fit in the neighborhood well. What an incredible turn around for Capitol Park, from being nearly completely abandoned a few years ago, to being surrounded by fully occupied and renovated buildings [[assuming the buildings fill up).

For once, I'd gladly say "tear that schitt down," since there is a real proposal for something better.

How about instead of baiting "naysayers" so that they can come and destroy another thread, we take this good and positive news for what it is? Not everything has to be some competition for forward-thinkers and reflexively cynical trolls. It gets really tiresome.

BTW, why wasn't this kept in the Capitol Park Rehab thread?

Huge news for the area. Although my thoughts are also about parking for the new 175 or so residents of the building. I guess it's cost prohibitive to construct underground parking for these residents in the plan? Either way, fantastc news.

there are still several empty lots in the area. i wouldnt be surprised if you saw gilbert build a garage on one or both of them to accommodate all of the new residential units. the hudson's site is only a block away as well, so that is always an option.

It will be right across the street from that mysterious parking garage that is never open.

I'm a total building hugger, who thinks we should save every old building we can.

However, this proposal is amazing, and for once I'll act like most Detroiters and encourage demolition of an historic building.

That said, its sad to lose a 150 year old building [[though its pretty badly damaged now, and seems altered largely beyond recognition).

Last edited by 1953; February-19-15 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I'm a total building hugger, who thinks we should save every old building we can.

However, this proposal is amazing, and for once I'll act live most Detroiters and encourage demolition of an historic building.

That said, its sad to lose a 150 year old building [[though its pretty badly damaged now, and seems altered largely beyond recognition).

I agree. Demolition makes sense when buildings are actually replaced with something superior in quality than what is being demolished. This is probably one of the rarest example in Detroit where a historic structure is being replaced with something other than an empty lot or a parking garage.

Outstanding news, beautiful concept. Apparently an accelerated timetable, according to Curbed's reporting. Couldn't ask for more. Hopefully this whets the whistle for new development by selling out quickly, and then we'll see Bedrock and others provide true high-rise residential in appropriate locations like financial district/campus martius/riverfront.

In my ideal world, the historic edifice would be built into a new development. I would not cross that bridge here, given the apparent condition of the property, and the fact that the proposal involves a CONCRETE plan for new development of a kind Detroit has not seen. Arguably, new infill construction only helps to highlight and complement all of the major historic rehabilitation going on nearby. This is not a fight I would have, but I would remain vigilant about even small historic buildings in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    there are still several empty lots in the area. i wouldnt be surprised if you saw gilbert build a garage on one or both of them to accommodate all of the new residential units. the hudson's site is only a block away as well, so that is always an option.
    Where are these "several" empty lots in the area? There is one very small lot right behind the Synagogue, and the Hudson lot. Can't think of much within a few blocks that could be used as a garage site. There's a few out to the west and north, but they'd be pretty far out for residential parking for Capitol Park area.
    Name:  parking.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 11.31.40 AM.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  50.7 KB

there are actually two empty lots in capitol park currently. although i would rather them be turned into actual buildings considering their prime location. but if there was some sort of structure with ground retail, a few floors of a parking garage, then some more residential/office on top that's fine

Why are we so overly concerned with the parking? It seems like an odd tangent, and something we'd have argued about five or ten years ago. Developers don't propose anything in a place like Detroit without first identifying available parking. Gilbert has obviously identified viable options to make this work.

Hooray for Gilberttown!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Where are these "several" empty lots in the area? There is one very small lot right behind the Synagogue, and the Hudson lot. Can't think of much within a few blocks that could be used as a garage site. There's a few out to the west and north, but they'd be pretty far out for residential parking for Capitol Park area.
    Name:  parking.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  50.0 KB
    spartandawg posted a diagram with the two lots i was referencing outside of the one on washington boulevard. you could see a garage similar to the one on woodward for merchants row that includes an elevator due to site limitations.

Here is an article with new information on construction dates, etc.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...town/23696251/

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Here is an article with new information on construction dates, etc.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...town/23696251/
    "ground breaking expected this spring" wow, had to read that twice.

Very exciting.... Downtown continues a resurgence! Just pray the economy stays strong for about ten more years....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Very exciting.... Downtown continues a resurgence! Just pray the economy stays strong for about ten more years....
    Funny how more than half of the entire country wouldn't use the word "strong" to define the American economy right now but some think we are dependent on just that very thing to continue recent gains in Detroit. Life offers some intresting contradictions sometimes.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-19-15 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Funny how more than half of the entire country wouldn't use the word "strong" to define the American economy right now but some think we are dependent on just that very thing to continue recent gains in Detroit. Life offers some intresting contradictions sometimes.
    I'm confused by this post...

So the economy is not actually strong, but continuing the recent gains in Detroit has led some people to think that it is dependent on maintaining the current strong economy that doesn't actually exist?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It will be right across the street from that mysterious parking garage that is never open.
    I have seen this parking garage open on several occasions. It wouldn't be in the owner's best interest to own a parking garage and never use it. I think those who park in it have monthly passes so it probably is not open to the public. What would be nice for this residential development would be if Gilbert/Bedrock made an agreement with the parking deck owner and built a taller deck that could be used for the residents and those currently using it.

BTW, I am amazed that this parking deck can actually hold quite a few cars given its small footprint. And it has room for a small coffee shop as well. Talk about an efficient use of space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast